Rambo Part II

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Rambo Part II

Postby Rambo » Wed 04.05.2016, 11:17

SimonR wrote:Yep I'm going to get a Ctek ... do you use any particular model ?

Have a look in that big red file I gave you Simon. I purchased mine in June 2005 (£44.45 Inc postage) Can't remember exactly which model I got but I think it was the 0.8 conditioner ex Hamilton Classics

Also, have a thumb through those 4 Club Lotus Mags I gave you ex 2015. Look for the Club Member Offers page and you will see 2 types of CTEK on offer. The 0.8 conditioner at £44.95 (£40.85 with CL discount) and a 3.8 charger/conditioner for £64.95 (£58.46 with CL discount)
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby SimonR » Wed 04.05.2016, 12:01

Rambo wrote:

Have a look in that big red file I gave you Simon. I purchased mine in June 2005 (£44.45 Inc postage) Can't remember exactly which model I got but I think it was the 0.8 conditioner ex Hamilton Classics

Also, have a thumb through those 4 Club Lotus Mags I gave you ex 2015. Look for the Club Member Offers page and you will see 2 types of CTEK on offer. The 0.8 conditioner at £44.95 (£40.85 with CL discount) and a 3.8 charger/conditioner for £64.95 (£58.46 with CL discount)

Brill thanks :) ... off to read
SimonR
Tinkerer

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 04.05.2016, 12:26

Had a Ctek MXS 3.8 that kept battery in fine fettle when not used for couple of months but got caught out away on a contract when boot light stayed on - luckily hotel car park had a slope to bump start it.
The internet on my phone found me a nearby Ctek dealer but as they sold tractors they only had the more expensive MXS 5.0 so that's what I bought. More expensive because of 5A output and 'Recondition Programme'.
When I got home I tried the 5.0's Recondition Programme on a couple of 'dead' batteries from a camper van and it brought them back to usable condition though I don't think they recovered their full Ah rating.

Choice is yours but think having the Recon Program a big advantage. Think I read somewhere you should use the Recon Programme from time to time if battery 'on trickle' for extended periods otherwise it will still suffer sulfation.
Manuals for both here to help you choose.
www.ctek.com/Archive/ProductManualPdf/MXS%205.0_EN.pdf
ctek.com/Archive/ProductManualPdf/MXS%203.8_EN.pdf

5.0 on ebay for £53...www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-CTEK-Multi-MXS-5-0-12V-Car-Marine-Battery-Smart-Charger-Conditioner-/301948048357
Last edited by lotusflasherman on Wed 04.05.2016, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Rambo » Wed 04.05.2016, 12:56

That looks good value. Sounds like the one to go for
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby SimonR » Wed 04.05.2016, 15:24

Brilliant ... thanks Phil :)
SimonR
Tinkerer

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 04.05.2016, 16:32

I've also fitted one of these ....www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CTEK-CONNECT-AND-CHARGE-LEAD-3-3-MTS-10-5-FT-NEW/130477484877
which I'd highly recommend. Battery is awkward to get to so I used one of the spare switch position below the clock and cable runs under central tunnel cover and protective fuse is right by the battery terminal. The ebay link is for a 3.3m cable that is a bit long but easy to tuck out of sight. A cheaper 1.5m is available but length is too short to get it properly hidden - anybody want to buy it? :lol:

When Red LED shows just pull off the black socket cover and plug in the CTEK.
rhd.jpg

The LED's are a bit pessimistic as my car still starts when Red LED has been on a while but better than being the other way..!
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby SimonR » Wed 04.05.2016, 16:38

I was thinking of fitting some sort of remote connection ... this is a cracking idea !!

SimonR
Tinkerer

Postby Rambo » Wed 04.05.2016, 19:20

Simon - I meant to ask, did you get the Rambo battery tested to see if one of the cells had broken down and know for sure that the battery is knackered ??

I'm wondering if you left anything on by accident ie the interior courtesy light, door not shut, boot light on etc This would also discharge a good battery, even a new one, very quickly so check when you wire up your Yasua :wink:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Saltire » Wed 04.05.2016, 19:36

SimonR wrote:I was thinking of fitting some sort of remote connection ... this is a cracking idea !!

I second the above. Mine is a Ctek MXS 7.0, which puts out 7 amps. This was the one recommend by Porsche for the Boxster I used to have (and which the Lotus replaced). The Elan battery wouldn't need that much oomph.

Like Lotusflasherman, I have the remote connector. I chose to fit mine on the wall of the hood well, because a) I have other plans for the spare switch positions and b) it was a shorter cable run.

2016-05-04 17.56.39 (Custom).jpg
Remote socket on hood well wall
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
Mrs Saltire’s 2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby roy666 » Wed 04.05.2016, 22:07

Hi Simon and Rob... just had a respray quote for my S2 at SMS Spalding, Lincs: front bumper (I take it off), some GRP repairs (minor), light pods (I take them off) full bonnet, both front wings, side panels. All for £1500... so I think yours is a good deal. Great pic btw. M
roy666
Fanatic

Postby SimonR » Wed 04.05.2016, 23:00

Rambo wrote:Simon - I meant to ask, did you get the Rambo battery tested to see if one of the cells had broken down and know for sure that the battery is knackered ??

I'm wondering if you left anything on by accident ie the interior courtesy light, door not shut, boot light on etc This would also discharge a good battery, even a new one, very quickly so check when you wire up your Yasua :wink:

I double checked in between the first flatness and the second .... but nothing seemed to be obvious and it was only lasting 3 days at the most
SimonR
Tinkerer

Postby SimonR » Wed 04.05.2016, 23:01

Saltire wrote:
SimonR wrote:I was thinking of fitting some sort of remote connection ... this is a cracking idea !!

I second the above. Mine is a Ctek MXS 7.0, which puts out 7 amps. This was the one recommend by Porsche for the Boxster I used to have (and which the Lotus replaced). The Elan battery wouldn't need that much oomph.

Like Lotusflasherman, I have the remote connector. I chose to fit mine on the wall of the hood well, because a) I have other plans for the spare switch positions and b) it was a shorter cable run.

2016-05-04 17.56.39 (Custom).jpg

Another good place ... def the way to go to save getting to the battery
SimonR
Tinkerer

Postby SimonR » Wed 04.05.2016, 23:02

roy666 wrote:Hi Simon and Rob... just had a respray quote for my S2 at SMS Spalding, Lincs: front bumper (I take it off), some GRP repairs (minor), light pods (I take them off) full bonnet, both front wings, side panels. All for £1500... so I think yours is a good deal. Great pic btw. M

TBH that is a £££ price and he has done me quite a few Mercs over the years so I suppose I'm a good customer :)
SimonR
Tinkerer

Postby Elanlover » Wed 04.05.2016, 23:08

In this thread I posted a modification that added a connection for a battery tender as well as some +ve and -ve posts for boosting the battery if/when needed (beats that hell out of digging under the tonneau). Its worked well for me.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby SimonR » Wed 04.05.2016, 23:15

Elanlover wrote:In this thread I posted a modification that added a connection for a battery tender as well as some +ve and -ve posts for boosting the battery if/when needed (beats that hell out of digging under the tonneau). Its worked well for me.

Options galore !!! interesting with post additions as well
SimonR
Tinkerer

Postby Saltire » Thu 05.05.2016, 07:55

Elanlover wrote:In this thread I posted a modification that added a connection for a battery tender as well as some +ve and -ve posts for boosting the battery if/when needed (beats that hell out of digging under the tonneau). Its worked well for me.

Yes, I looked at posts as well, and even went to the trouble of buying a pair - not an easy task in the UK. However, there is already a battery post under the S2 bonnet, so it would have been duplication at that end of the car. And I reverse the car into the garage, so I wanted something easily accessible at the rear. I did look at mounting the new posts on the forward wall of the boot, but the lack of a flat surface, interfering with the torsion bars and problems with the cable runs rather put me off. I may return to it at a later date.

I have the hood down almost all the time, so access is just a matter of popping the tonneau with and plugging in.

Lots of options, as you say :shock:
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
Mrs Saltire’s 2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby Rambo » Thu 05.05.2016, 08:07

SimonR wrote:
Rambo wrote:Simon - I meant to ask, did you get the Rambo battery tested to see if one of the cells had broken down and know for sure that the battery is knackered ??

I double checked in between the first flatness and the second .... but nothing seemed to be obvious and it was only lasting 3 days at the most

Still worth taking the old battery to a garage for a free test. If the battery is knackered you can ditch it. If not, you can investigate further

PS last time it went flat on me I had accidentally nudged the little courtesy light switch on the mirror :oops: :oops: I put the cape and cover on, so obviously couldn't see the light on inside, and when I came to start the car again in 3 days the battery had insufficient charge for the starter motor to kick in :oops:

Worth double checking you or your upholsterer haven't nudged anything when removing the seats for retrimming ;-)
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby SimonR » Tue 17.05.2016, 13:52

Not much to update ... seats back and sun is out .....

SimonR
Tinkerer

Postby Rambo » Tue 17.05.2016, 18:20

Looks great Simon. But, then again, I'm biased :wink:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Rob P » Tue 17.05.2016, 20:23

:agree: on both counts :wink:
simplify and add lightness
1991 Norfolk Mustard Yellow SE - Gone but will never be forgotten :-)
1969 Lotus Elan S4 - Wedgewood Blue
1997 Lotus Elise S1 - Metallic Racing Green
Rob P
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)