Rambo Part II

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Rambo Part II

Postby SimonR » Wed 20.04.2016, 22:01

Thought I'd start a thread to document Rambo's progress now he has a new owner and custodian :)

So only a gentle start with the following small items done ...

Drivers sun visor replaced
Door handle escutcheons replaced
A Piller seal replaced
Intermediate hood seal replaced

New door top external rubbers purchased but not fitted

Am taking it to the painters tomorrow for a quote on getting a few bits tweaked where the stones have taken their toll :)

Then the seats need some love ... either recovering (been quoted a ridiculous amount ) or RX8 type ones

SimonR
Tinkerer

Re: Rambo Part II

Postby HJ2 » Thu 21.04.2016, 02:59

beautifull! :clap:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby Rob P » Thu 21.04.2016, 09:11

Looks good, enjoy
simplify and add lightness
1991 Norfolk Mustard Yellow SE - Gone but will never be forgotten :-)
1969 Lotus Elan S4 - Wedgewood Blue
1997 Lotus Elise S1 - Metallic Racing Green
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby Giniw » Thu 21.04.2016, 11:49

This is a nice photo ^^
Giniw
God

Postby SimonR » Thu 21.04.2016, 12:58

Thanks Guys

Just had the quote for the paint ..... ouch ... but I've always used him for my Mercs and his work is excellent .. so booked in for June 20th :)
SimonR
Tinkerer

Postby Rob P » Thu 21.04.2016, 17:12

Hi Simon,

Are you having just a touch up or a full respray, my NMY is in need of some paint and I was wondering what the going rate is these days, as I don't know anyone locally it would help if you could share the prospective costs via Pm if that is OK

Rob P
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby SimonR » Thu 21.04.2016, 17:56

Rob P wrote:Hi Simon,

Are you having just a touch up or a full respray, my NMY is in need of some paint and I was wondering what the going rate is these days, as I don't know anyone locally it would help if you could share the prospective costs via Pm if that is OK

Rob P

The guy doing it is Sean Rowe at Sutton in Ashfield .. I started using him as he was one of the recommended ones for Mercedes classic cars ... and I've had work done on 3/4 and it has always been superb

I'm having the front bumper / front clip inc wings / rear bumper / hood cover / bottom half inc outer sill (below panel line) near side / bottom half inc outer sill (below panel line) off side ..... there a re a couple of repairs to the bottom front bumper clip and a lot of sanding req for chips .. he is doing it all for £1300.00
SimonR
Tinkerer

Postby Rob P » Thu 21.04.2016, 20:10

Thanks Simon, that gives me a bench mark to work with, my car is a few different shades of yellow, except straight after a good polishing :-)

Probably needs a full spray but the stripping down and rebuilding will eat the hours up.

Now just need to find a good friendly Sprayer in the Preston area
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby Jamie N » Thu 21.04.2016, 20:32

Thats a really bonny picture Simon. :wink:
Monaco S2 #406

https://youtu.be/MGiyiIFjUew Rubbery stuff.
Jamie N
Seal God

Postby Rambo » Fri 22.04.2016, 07:09

Looking good Simon. Your photography skills do Rambo justice :wink:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby simonbuk » Fri 22.04.2016, 07:58

What did you replace the sun visor with ? I just removed mine !

And what did you do with the door handle escutcheons ?!
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, currently River Thames........

Postby SimonR » Fri 22.04.2016, 08:39

simonbuk wrote:What did you replace the sun visor with ? I just removed mine !

And what did you do with the door handle escutcheons ?!

I hadn't got a visor ... so now I have :) ...

The door handle escutcheons were broken on the leading edge with age so got two replacements ... they really make a difference to the look
SimonR
Tinkerer

Postby Rambo » Fri 22.04.2016, 17:59

Simon - put them on EBay at exorbitant prices like some I know :wink: Or keep them and offer them to somebody on here in need of them in the generous spirit we have in LEC :wink:

How do you find it with the drivers side sun visor ? Does it restrict vision ? Rambo never came with one when I purchased it 12.5 years ago. I resorted to sunglasses on the odd day the sun came out in Scotland 8)

And, are you going for the retrim or looking at some of Jamie's heated RX seats ??

Hope you are enjoying those twisty roads in the Peak District :burnout:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby SimonR » Fri 22.04.2016, 18:34

Rambo wrote:Simon - put them on EBay at exorbitant prices like some I know :wink: Or keep them and offer them to somebody on here in need of them in the generous spirit we have in LEC :wink:

How do you find it with the drivers side sun visor ? Does it restrict vision ? Rambo never came with one when I purchased it 12.5 years ago. I resorted to sunglasses on the odd day the sun came out in Scotland 8)

And, are you going for the retrim or looking at some of Jamie's heated RX seats ??

Hope you are enjoying those twisty roads in the Peak District :burnout:

The visor I don't find restricts my vision ... odd times after a big bump it starts to lower itself a fraction but nothing to worry about and I like it so that the interior is balanced (not that I'm odd in any OCD way !!!)

I've found a little old lady who does re trims so watch this space and fingers crossed they will be done by next Friday :)
SimonR
Tinkerer

Postby Rambo » Fri 22.04.2016, 21:21

Excellent. Looking forward to seeing the retrim. Are you keeping the red and black theme ?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby SimonR » Fri 22.04.2016, 22:42

Rambo wrote:Excellent. Looking forward to seeing the retrim. Are you keeping the red and black theme ?

Yes ... But only one grey as one skin will do both seats so it would be a lot extra to have another colour used
SimonR
Tinkerer

Postby Rambo » Sat 23.04.2016, 07:20

Simon, if you are going for a retrim you might also want to think about the foam underneath.

For most of the last 12 years I swapped the passenger and drivers seat over. I was driving therefore on the passenger seat hence the extra holes on the back where the metal protective plate sits. When I swapped them back over the original drivers seat felt much less supportive and I noticed that the side bolster looked a bit thin. There were also a few bits of powdery foam lying underneath.

If you decide to replace foam, make sure you have enough clips for underneath the seats. Or make any you break from wire coat hangers :wink:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby rip » Sat 23.04.2016, 07:38

Rambo wrote:

Heater pads will fit in the originals when they are re-trimmed. I recommend having it done if it is not too late.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Rambo » Sat 23.04.2016, 07:45

Forgot to ask you earlier Simon, but with all the 60+ cars you have owned, how high up the league table is Rambo and the M100 experience ? :burnout:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby SimonR » Sat 23.04.2016, 07:48

Rambo wrote:Simon, if you are going for a retrim you might also want to think about the foam underneath.

For most of the last 12 years I swapped the passenger and drivers seat over. I was driving therefore on the passenger seat hence the extra holes on the back where the metal protective plate sits. When I swapped them back over the original drivers seat felt much less supportive and I noticed that the side bolster looked a bit thin. There were also a few bits of powdery foam lying underneath.

If you decide to replace foam, make sure you have enough clips for underneath the seats. Or make any you break from wire coat hangers :wink:

I'm presuming that the "little old lady" will sort the foam as I have asked her too and she commented that it was deteriorating as evidenced on the carpet ... I'll order some clips if I can find the part number
SimonR
Tinkerer

Next

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)