The Big Lotus Elan Detailing Thread

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Re: The Big Lotus Elan Detailing Thread

Postby DavieBow » Sat 11.02.2017, 13:06

lotusflasherman wrote:
Rusty Wishbone wrote:Perhaps I should post a picture of my Elan at the moment. You would weep at the deep layer of filth from winter driving down the lanes.

:agree: You should. Anything like this ? This was clean in the morning, went to Hull and back in a day and this is what it looked like filling up after 400 miles ... pressure wash next day to get rid of that extra weight!

20170105small.jpg

Yours is looking great DavieBow. :clap: Nice Reg' Number too.

Thanks mate , i do like a car thats driven though , too many good cars don't move out of their garages enough IMO
Elan SE , Mk1 Mx5, Celica GT4, Mk1 Golf Gti Cab,Vw Camper van, Daimler 250 V8, Ferrari 348
DavieBow
Tinkerer

Postby Rambo » Sat 11.02.2017, 21:15

DavieBow wrote:
lotusflasherman wrote:
Rusty Wishbone wrote:Perhaps I should post a picture of my Elan at the moment. You would weep at the deep layer of filth from winter driving down the lanes.

:agree: You should. Anything like this ? This was clean in the morning, went to Hull and back in a day and this is what it looked like filling up after 400 miles ... pressure wash next day to get rid of that extra weight!

20170105small.jpg

Thanks mate , i do like a car thats driven though , too many good cars don't move out of their garages enough IMO

Totally agree. Too many garage queens and project cars out there and not enough drivers :burnout:

It has to be -12C and above and too much salt on the roads to put me off :twisted: :twisted:
Rambo
Underage drinker

Postby Rambo » Sat 11.02.2017, 21:30

lotusflasherman wrote:

20170105small.jpg

And, if you fancy a thrash 400 miles further north :burnout: and sorting out my fuel pump problems I will personally clean your M100 (sorry, detail !!), give you B and B, fabulous soup and excellent cuisine, pay your petrol expenses etc... :bowdown: :bowdown:
Rambo
Underage drinker

Postby IanB1978 » Thu 16.02.2017, 12:49

My car is in desperate need of a detail, any chance you could list the products you use. Your work looks top notch!!!
IanB1978

Postby DavieBow » Wed 01.03.2017, 22:40

IanB1978 wrote:My car is in desperate need of a detail, any chance you could list the products you use. Your work looks top notch!!!

We use a varied range of products , techniques and machinery to prepare a car , so its hard to list them all in a way that would make sense .

To get the car's paintwork to this standard you have to follow a paint correction process , this is where you machine polish the car with varying grades of compounds , starting with a course one to remove deep scratches and imperfections , then working down to a fine one to finesse the paintwork and give it that natural high gloss shine .

The compounds we use for correction are made by a company called Menzerna with "FG400" being the course one and "super finish 3800" being the fine one.
You will then need to use the correct machine polisher for your skills , us Pro's use a rotary (spins on a fixed axis generating a hell of a lot of heat very quickly) but for amateurs we recommend you use a "DA" ("Dual Action" rather than bore you with science , they vibrate instead of spinning , generating less heat so safer to use )

Once the paintwork has been corrected/restored back to a high gloss shine , we then seal that in with a ceramic coating to protect it , there are loads of different brands of ceramics out there , mostly doing the same thing , so again i could advise you on these based on your skill set and budget , they can be a bit fiddly to use but offer massive long term protection over a car wax .

if you want me to go into a particular subject or product then please feel free to ask and i'll do my best to help and steer you in the right direction
Elan SE , Mk1 Mx5, Celica GT4, Mk1 Golf Gti Cab,Vw Camper van, Daimler 250 V8, Ferrari 348
DavieBow
Tinkerer

Postby IanB1978 » Thu 02.03.2017, 12:50

Brilliant thanks
IanB1978

Previous

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)