Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 12 )

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 12 )

Postby clemo » Tue 28.03.2017, 11:01

EDIT . TITLE AMENDED TO SHOW 12 AS 609 IS NOT A JC.

Morning all .
Today i am the proud owner of a V5c in my name .
Which means that i am technically the 4th owner of S2 number 613. late registration 12/3/96 N.
This is one of the cars that should have yellow spoke wheels to compliment ( or not ) the red Nardia steering wheel , Red door inserts and red piping on the seats . Apparently 1 of 6 in this edition known as the Jim Clark edition ( though i will research the finer details ) it appears to mirror the Esprit S4 gt championship edition that goes by Championship Edition not Jim Clark .... same interior and wheel spec.

The condition of the car is used though i would say tired in places. The previous owner had it for 17 years and slowly used it less and less. Having been the owner of a silver N/A garage queen i vow not to let this happen again . It is now time to get back into driving and fully appreciating the wet knee ( read project creep JamieN below)
I really like the edition and whilst would have been happy with any elan this one took my fancy . As alway the old "travel for an elan" kicked in , Torquay to anywhere is a long way , And Torquay to Lincoln was a long way . I probably paid over the odds for it but ..... Prices are on the rise (?), i spent to the top of my bracket and the seller was a very reasonable guy . A deal was done . I am pleased with my purchase . We did haggle over the minor money but i was worth the extra to me to be back in the club. Not sit out on the sidelines for another year thinking about what could have should have been .

The car drives beautifully ( though i have said that before and 20 miles later required a full engine rebuild )
This will be my 12th S2 . Having had an elan sabbatical for many years and what with the way spare parts , car prices and general conditions of cars are now i feel that this one is going to stay with me for a long while . My garage is full of elan spares ( from the same coloured s2 26,000 mile cat B burn out that i bought all of) I also have JamieN 's array of excellent replacement rubbers so it will only be a matter of time before project creep sets in .

Even now the car is sitting in Stafford at Arron's mates TVR Aston garage awaiting a respray . Does it need it ? not fully But as i have not driven it more than test milage ( and the sun is not properly yet ) i thought i may as well bung it in and get it smartened up .

Thanks to Pinky and his loan service kit it will come back with belts , pully's & water pump done..

HERES THE PROJECT CREEP QUESTION :-

The garage is going to do an engine out respray . I wish they hadn't mentioned that . Is this the time to "just get them to" ........ pop a new radiator in it ? send up the new fans , overhaul the starter & alternator ? What about the unjacked prongeron i have , or the spanking clean radiator housing frame and brackets in have .
I wish i had have taken more notice of the smaller details of the car when i bought it .

Glad to be back and pictures to follow once i get some ...

See you in a carpark soon .

Clemo
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Re: Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 6)

Postby rip » Tue 28.03.2017, 13:29

:smt023
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Rambo » Tue 28.03.2017, 13:54

Well done Clemo. About time :poke:

Just a thought though... the better weather is just around the corner. Do you really want to be doing a full engine out job, respray, full suspension rebuild, alternator, oil cooler, fans, radiator.... right now when you could be getting in some enjoyable driving ??

Maybe better to do this work in October/November and SORN the car for 6 months. Just my tenpennworth :wink:

Get out there and get some good driving down these twisty Devon lanes :burnout:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Steve A » Tue 28.03.2017, 14:16

:agree:
Get out there and use it 8) :burnout:
Winter is coming.............
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby Rob P » Tue 28.03.2017, 14:35

clemo wrote:This is one of the cars that should have yellow spoke wheels to compliment ( or not ) the red Nardia steering wheel , Red door inserts and red piping on the seats . Apparently 1 of 6 in this edition known as the Jim Clark edition

Didn't realise they did a limited edition Jim Clark in the M100, can't wait to see this back on the road in its full glory
Good luck with the restoration and enjoy the car :-)
simplify and add lightness
1991 Norfolk Mustard Yellow SE - Gone but will never be forgotten :-)
1969 Lotus Elan S4 - Wedgewood Blue
1997 Lotus Elise S1 - Metallic Racing Green
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby Steve A » Tue 28.03.2017, 16:13

It's much better having a car that is associated with a Lotus driver rather than a packet of fags :twisted:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby Rambo » Tue 28.03.2017, 16:42

Rob P wrote:
clemo wrote:This is one of the cars that should have yellow spoke wheels to compliment ( or not ) the red Nardia steering wheel , Red door inserts and red piping on the seats. Apparently 1 of 6 in this edition known as the Jim Clark edition

Didn't realise they did a limited edition Jim Clark in the M100, can't wait to see this back on the road in its full glory
Good luck with the restoration and enjoy the car :-)

To get it back to its former glory though, Clemo needs to paint the S2 wheels yellow. Or nick his own ones back of Stripey when Dan's not looking :twisted:

I always found the colour combination rather strange. But that was par for the course at Lotus. I suspect they had a designer that was colour blind ?? I can understand the green and yellow for the JC S2 (original heritage colours) but where did the red piping round the seats steering wheel and door cards come from ?? I think it would have looked even better in yellow but that's just my opinion

Same as the red stripe in a blue car. I think red stripe or piping in red car, blue stripe or piping in blue car and yellow for yellow. I guess the choice of these colours was the original buyers choice c25 years ago ???

Anyway, whatever my opinions on colour schemes, the general consensus of opinion is, get out and do what it was designed for Clemo :poke:

:burnout:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby simonbuk » Tue 28.03.2017, 16:56

Welcome back - I'd get out there now - cracking weather !!

Should look great with a new paint job !!
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, currently River Thames........

Postby Rambo » Tue 28.03.2017, 17:01

Hey Clemo, I've just thought of something else.

After you've thrashed around the Devon lanes for 6 months in your JC S2, then laid it up for a few months to do all this work to bring it back to its former glory, bring it up to Duns, next year.

Chirnside and Duns was where Jimmy was bought up and, as you know, next year will be the 50th anniversary of his untimely death at Hockenheim. There will be a very special event held at the Duns museum organised by Club Lotus (Scotland) and Club Lotus. The new proposed museum might even be built with some of Jimmy's race cars in it

It will be a very special occasion and very fitting if your JC car, and any M100 for that matter, made the pilgrimage. You're welcome to stay at my gaff 30 miles away. JohnW did this a couple of years ago and we both enjoyed a thrash over the hills and twisty Border country lanes to Duns :burnout:

Perhaps we could even get some of these other LEC M100 garage queens out of retirement :chair:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 28.03.2017, 17:06

Rambo wrote:I can understand the green and yellow for the JC S2 (original heritage colours) but where did the red piping round the seats steering wheel and door cards come from ?? I think it would have looked even better in yellow but that's just my opinion

From here you silly kipper eater....

Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 28.03.2017, 17:08

Rambo wrote:…next year will be the 50th anniversary of his untimely death at Hockenheim … You're welcome to stay at my gaff 30 miles away.

Put me down for the spare bed. 8)
Calypso Red S2 #417

GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby dapinky » Tue 28.03.2017, 18:45

GeoffSmith wrote:
Rambo wrote:…next year will be the 50th anniversary of his untimely death at Hockenheim … You're welcome to stay at my gaff 30 miles away.

Well, thats 3 cars in convoy from the South West....... room for a tent in the garden?
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Rob P » Tue 28.03.2017, 19:14

dapinky wrote:
GeoffSmith wrote:

Well, that's 3 cars in convoy from the South West....... room for a tent in the garden?

Hope they will have the museum finished by then, that would be a nice trip to make, last time they celebrated an anniversary of a Jim Clark happening I believe they ran some of his classic F1 cars in the street, amazing
simplify and add lightness
1991 Norfolk Mustard Yellow SE - Gone but will never be forgotten :-)
1969 Lotus Elan S4 - Wedgewood Blue
1997 Lotus Elise S1 - Metallic Racing Green
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Tue 28.03.2017, 19:31

That's true Rob. I'm fairly sure that Ian Scott Watson drove one. Maybe Dario Franchitti too. Sir Jackie Stewart was there on the Saturday too

The main Street was closed off and PC Plod ignored the fact they weren't road legal cars but let them blat along the high street. Not at full chat of course but it's a fairly narrow street with high buildings so the sound was quite impressive. Enough anyway to scare old grannies, cats and young boys under the age of 8 :burnout:

PS I have 3 spare beds, plenty of floorspace as long as you don't mind sharing with Jock and over half an acre of grass for camping :asleep:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby clemo » Tue 28.03.2017, 20:22

Rambo wrote:Hey Clemo, I've just thought of something else.

After you've thrashed around the Devon lanes for 6 months in your JC S2, then laid it up for a few months to do all this work to bring it back to its former glory, bring it up to Duns, next year.

Chirnside and Duns was where Jimmy was bought up and, as you know, next year will be the 50th anniversary of his untimely death at Hockenheim. There will be a very special event held at the Duns museum organised by Club Lotus (Scotland) and Club Lotus. The new proposed museum might even be built with some of Jimmy's race cars in it

It will be a very special occasion and very fitting if your JC car, and any M100 for that matter, made the pilgrimage. You're welcome to stay at my gaff 30 miles away. JohnW did this a couple of years ago and we both enjoyed a thrash over the hills and twisty Border country lanes to Duns :burnout:

Perhaps we could even get some of these other LEC M100 garage queens out of retirement :chair:

Yes Please . I would very much like that . This was on my to do list ( as in get into your spare room before you brother Geoff ) no Actually to take the car to JC museum . Next year is a fitting tribute and an very much up for this .

You are right we should try and make a LEC meet of this . How big is your back garden for those who haven't bagged the spare room ?

April 7th 2018 date for the LEC / Rambo garden party diary ?
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby John_W » Fri 31.03.2017, 13:03

I'll be there.
John
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby novacaine » Mon 03.04.2017, 10:56

Any pictures yet Clemo? :poke:

1994 Lotus Elan S2 #170 (Steel Blue)
novacaine
Fanatic

Postby GeoffSmith » Mon 03.04.2017, 11:04

DC.jpg
Calypso Red S2 #417

GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Rambo » Mon 03.04.2017, 16:12

:lol:

It would look better with yellow wheels :poke:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Darran6969 » Wed 05.04.2017, 15:49

Hi Clemo- is she behaving herself. First thing I did in 2000 was change the wheels to silver from yellow for an every day car they just did not work for me, second was a kenwood cassette player but that's a different story. Please keep me posted on photos of her.
From that reasonable man in Lincolnshire :D
Darran6969

Next

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)