Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 12 )

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Clemo's Jim Clark edition (1 of 13 )

Postby clemo » Fri 20.07.2018, 23:00

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:My condolences. Keep the faith, it will get home soon.

thanks BCN.
the new news is that it will be turning up fixed and on a low loader tomorrow ...
Not holding breath .
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby dapinky » Sat 21.07.2018, 10:01

That is definitely (?) good news.....

...... and it gives you more than 2 months to get all the little issues sorted before driving it to Hethel!
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby simonbuk » Sat 28.07.2018, 12:36

So what happened ??!!
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, currently River Thames........

Postby Darran6969 » Fri 03.08.2018, 17:43

How is it going with the old girl or is it best not to ask... have you got the mis- fire sorted will you make it to the hethel meet
Darran6969

Postby Rambo » Fri 03.08.2018, 20:16

He's going to Hethel but it could be in Dapinky's M100 or campervan :twisted:

Or could it be the JC Special with the yellow S2's ?????

:burnout:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby simonbuk » Sun 05.08.2018, 10:31

I hope he's out there somewhere blating down lots of rural roads enjoying his newly built car !!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 21.08.2018, 00:11

:poke: progress? or shouldn't we ask?
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Rambo » Tue 21.08.2018, 09:23

The latter I suspect :evil:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby clemo » Sat 25.08.2018, 10:18

I have my car back ... YAY .
Pleased with the underside and chassis .
However .
The garage "outed " the paint work and is pretty bad. It is going back to be done properly. I guess with it being so far away from me that the local just pop in touch was missing. To be fair to the garage they totally underquoted for the paint though that is not my fault. So at this point I'm not going to put the carpets or trims back on. It looks rather unfinished . which is not the car i want to be driving . I look forward to the finished article but as of yet i am quite a way from where it want to be.

I don't really lose anything by driving it to Hethel 70th. But when i look at it the way it is i just close the garage door again.
fortunately it is purely cosmetic. It drives beautiful , handles well , mechanically sound . it has been future proofed underneath with many parts replaced where possible . But i am still awaiting what i call the finished article .
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby Rambo » Sat 25.08.2018, 10:22

Good news, sort of :smt023
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Kathryn » Tue 28.08.2018, 19:01

It’s a shame you want to close the garage door on it. Take it for a drive, you can’t see the exterior from inside!
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 28.08.2018, 19:29

Kathryn wrote:It’s a shame you want to close the garage door on it. Take it for a drive, you can’t see the exterior from inside!

:agree:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Rambo » Wed 29.08.2018, 18:37

Me too.

Just get out in it and enjoy the drive Clemo. Some fine end of summer and autumnal weather ahead. Then you can SORN the car and get the paint sorted over the winter

PS I hope the garage that outsourced the paintwork are compensating you for the shoddy work ? Trade descriptions and all ghat...
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby clemo » Wed 29.08.2018, 21:06

Thanks Guys ( and Gals)
I did drive it and it was mucho fun.
I have since spoken to the garage and it is gong back to a place that he reckons is excellent. He has an Aston Martin being sprayed their at the moment. They can't fit it in for a while and will not be rushed. which i guess is a good thing. As for compensation the only thing i want is the job doing properly. And that will be compensation enough. No dust , no nibs , just perfect . That may be a big ask but that is what i want. It's not about getting money back just about getting it done properly.
I have had the car for almost 2 years now and only driven it 10 mile ... which i guess at least doesn't put me at the bottom of the driver list !!!.

I take the view that getting angry or jumping up and down does not change the outcome. He is aware of my displeasure and knows how to right the wrongs. Look forward not backward . I cant really miss what i haven't had yet. So next year will be the year and by then i will have a completely future proofed / good for many years car. Then i will use it lots. With a big smile on my face like my old NA used to give me.
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby clemo » Wed 29.08.2018, 21:09

Kathryn wrote:It’s a shame you want to close the garage door on it. Take it for a drive, you can’t see the exterior from inside!

Correct .. but from there i can see the lack of interior and the water streaming out of the washer jets as the non return valve has not been fitted. Making the bonnet a very unsightly wet mess of streaks. But you are correct. i should .
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby clemo » Wed 03.10.2018, 21:29

Well it does exist !.

It came out for its first drive to Hethel and now its going back for another paint job.
It drove beautifully and put a smile on my face. I drove up with Pinky and Geoff on a great B road journey of Torquay to Hethel . the car didn't miss a beat. It and i was equally happy for a good blast down the motorway to get back home.

The only things to mention was the de cat centre pipe rattled upon the chassis . So small running repair of putting some hose between it and the body to take out the bounce. oh and the centre illumination lights / fan switch bulbs out. oh and the stereo suffered from heat exhaustion. after 45 minute of play it would fail. then it would work after cooling down. but apart from that is was everything i could have hoped it to be.

I really must fit an electronic boot release . oh and i think the headlights are pointing to the stars. It seemed to light up the motorway road signs on to of bridges !

but apart from that ...
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby simonbuk » Wed 03.10.2018, 22:16

Well, a so called 'normal one' has at least a couple of ongoing niggles, so it doesn't sound to bad !!

For me it's that my stereo had somehow muted, and I have a 'knock' sound from the rear suspension. I've got use to living with both as I can't work out what the F is happening :D

I know in your eyes you're not there yet, but it'll be worth the effort in the end for a very rare M100. 8)

simonbuk
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 04.10.2018, 19:25

I was never a fan of the yellow wheels on Sy's BRG Stripey but they really do look the part with LRG metallic. It was a pleasure to have it in my mirrors for the best part of 500 miles.

They were also very useful in identifying you when you turned right out of Tesco instead of left. :lol:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby clemo » Thu 04.10.2018, 21:32

GeoffSmith wrote:I was never a fan of the yellow wheels on Sy's BRG Stripey but they really do look the part with LRG metallic. It was a pleasure to have it in my mirrors for the best part of 500 miles.

They were also very useful in identifying you when you turned right out of Tesco instead of left. :lol:

Sy's old wheels were of of my 1st Jim Clark special many years ago ( as you may remember ) i really loved the look of the LRG metallic back then with the yellow wheels that i had refurbished back from silver to yellow . However the guy who i sold it to didn't like it so much and swapped the wheels out with sy's silver ones . Sacrilege !!. But anyway.

For the latter part of our return journey it was nice to follow your red ar$e too !.
And on the way up being sandwiched between you and Pinky conjures up an image that i had long since forgotten . Having been waiting for the return of my car for so long .It was good to be back driving and even better to be part of a mini convoy when you look forward and look back in the rear view mirror i got to see a " ohh I've got one of those elan's ".

I also could hear Rambo saying "just get out and drive it before the summer ends ", which it kinda has . But in doing so i lost a fair few of my hang ups - as in the cars paint work is not so great ( at the moment ) but actually i didn't care too much. Pretty much the same as when i got a scratch and stone chips in the paint work , i didn't care to much ... Now after the paintwork 2nd go i may get a bit more knit picky about it . though I'm thinking not . i just want it to look nice and get out and drive it and use it as a nice looking car - not just a show piece. Its the overall edition i first loved all those years ago . I now have one again which is mechanically sound and future proofed underneath . As for the rest its work in progress. It does give plenty of smiles per hour and is part of a much bigger thing that brings another important part of the car ownership which is the club. LEC is a great place to be part of for the social aspect. We have a great bunch of owner / drivers all with an excellent ability to chat about all kinds of stuff not just elan related in dusty carparks . Helping others fix their cars is as rewarding too . This is a club that gets involved and gets their hands dirty and if they aren't they are watching , learning and boiling up the kettle . I look forward to many more years of ownership for all of these reasons. see you all at the next event.
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 04.10.2018, 21:54

:ladysman:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)