Another "Small (probably not) project. 91 elan"

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Another "Small (probably not) project. 91 elan"

Postby Tuga2112 » Mon 28.08.2017, 13:13

Thanks for the input John.

Here in the UK is pretty hard to find high tensile bolts of grade 10-12 that are not black and bolted using Allen keys. I do find it a bit odd, as Allen keys are more likely to round the socket than the normal 6 point hex heads as well.

I'm still investigating where to support the engine before removing the engine mounts. I can put one jack on the transmission side, but to hold the engine I can only see it happening by putting a jack holding the oil sump.
As far as I'm aware, your never supposed to put a jack on the oil sumps because they are not designed to hold weight and tend to bend

Or is it ok in this scenario because the oil sump is only going to hold the engine weight and not the front of the car??
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
Tuga2112
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 28.08.2017, 13:47

Tuga2112 wrote:Or is it ok in this scenario because the oil sump is only going to hold the engine weight and not the front of the car??

That is the correct answer. The "front" of the engine (Right Hand side) is still held/supported by the Right Hand mount so all you do is put a piece of timber (wood block) in the
jack saddle, line it up under the sump at the gearbox end and gently jack it up until it just touches. You don't want to add any more pressure.

Finish removing the gearbox and replace the clutch.

When you are putting the gearbox back in, you might need to raise or lower the gearbox end of the engine to help line up the shaft into the pilot bush/bearing.

Do so in small increments so you don't damage the oil sump.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 28.08.2017, 15:39

Tuga2112 wrote:I do find it a bit odd, as Allen keys are more likely to round the socket than the normal 6 point hex heads as well.

Shouldn't do if they're 12.9 HT bolts, steel will probably be harder than most Allen keys :lol: .
Always a good idea to have a decent hex bit too ...HEX-BIT-SOCKET-SET (These are 3/8" & 1/4" drive but adapters are available). Having the right tools saves a lot of time and damage ... and keeps the skin on your knuckles.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Tuga2112 » Mon 28.08.2017, 16:39

lotusflasherman wrote:Shouldn't do if they're 12.9 HT bolts, steel will probably be harder than most Allen keys :lol: .
Always a good idea to have a decent hex bit too ...HEX-BIT-SOCKET-SET (These are 3/8" & 1/4" drive but adapters are available). Having the right tools saves a lot of time and damage ... and keeps the skin on your knuckles.

Phill.
i think you will be pleased to see i got one of these.

this is actually the same socket allen keys i have used that rounded the slots in the bolts on the car. so. its possible the bolts on the car are not 10-12 grade HT steel, or maybe the 25 years of use got the best of them... i dont know.

I have made som progress again.
both engine mounts are free now and the engine does move up and down with the jack, (although i didnt make it move more than a cm so far.

Im now looking for the flywheel cover nuts to take them off, and hopefully end up getting things ready for the clutch change still today
Still learning
Tuga2112
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Mon 28.08.2017, 17:36

Flywheel cover is out.

Next step is to lower the transmission side of the engine and undo 4 bolts that connect the transmission to the engine.

I can see 2 of them. No idea where the other 2 are

Will upload a Picture of the 2 I see soon
Still learning
Tuga2112
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Mon 28.08.2017, 19:04

im having some dificulty uploading pictures, so only managed to get 1 working.

these bolts are in the front of the engine, the bar in the background going down is the "left hand stay" that attaches to the subframe.

Still learning
Tuga2112
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Fri 08.09.2017, 22:11

I have managed to finish the job now. was quite a struggle to find the other 3 bolts aroudn the transmission.

after that taking the tranmission out was not a problem at all, changing the clutch bearing was the easiest task of the whole job, and swapping the clutch itself was not much of a problem.

refitting the transmission was a whole pain on itself.

funny "little" event that happened when reasembly everything was when putting back the clutch cable braket... one of the 10mm bolts fell off my hand..... into the speedo cable entry on the transmission. it took me 2 hours of fishing with a stick with a magnet at the end to get the bolt out.

apart from that the rest of the re-assembly process was pretty smooth, with brand new bolts being fitted in both sides for the suspension upper joint area. i put back all shims as they were before, (i had 6 instead of 8 in both sides)

took plenty of pictures which i will be adding to the post whever i have time.

as part of the job, i also swapped the oil filter with a new one, new oil (obviousl) and new denso spark plugs. and topped up the transmission oil as well.

after charging the battery, the car started no problem. I havent actually tried the clutch and gears yet tho, that is a job probably for this sunday...
Still learning
Tuga2112
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 24.03.2018, 19:14

just another update.

although i have not written anything for a long time. some work is done evey now and then.
but because nothing seems major or i dont struggle, i end up not posting abotu it.

there is also the situations where i just call pinky and get help straight away so i dont end up posting in the forum.

i have taken out the carpets off the car. to clean and took advantage of that to have a look at the outriggers,

these picrtures are in the multiple states the left side was today while i was cleaning it

in short, it was wet, and rusty, but seems like just surface rust. therefore i think nothing to worry about.
i do however, want opinions on what to do now that its clean.

one strange thing i noticed, is that after drying them off using an open flame. after a while they appear wet again, even tho its not raining today.
i was thinkign about putting a heavy coat of primer on top of the rust to protect it. but opinions are welcome as long as whatever treatment you suggest doesnt cost an arm and a loeg, and ideally can be purchased on a sunday in the high street

on a another (and probably more helpful ) topic

I have recently purchased a brand new windshield for the car. this took 1 week to be collected after i paid.

this one set me back a little over 320gbp.
the company that i got it from is
Vehicle Glass Company Ltd
Address: Unit 7, Imex Industrial Estate, Union Rd, Oldbury B69 3EX

i will try to add this to the wiki, but if it fails, theres a record somewhere.
Still learning
Tuga2112
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 18.04.2018, 22:12

another struggle.

I had everything setup to install the windshield tomorow, but when i tried to start the car... things didnt work out too well.
it would start only when i had throthle full open, and as soon as i try to iddle it would die.

I am still in the process of investigating, but the bottom line here is that in that process i have managed to both break one of the spark plugs when trying to remove it (i swear i was not a brute) as well as one of the leads splitted the metal bit out of the lead. (again, i was not being aggressive at all... )

anyway, a set of denso spark plugs is already ordered, and just before ordering a set of leads, id like to know if this can be fixed ? or is it a matter of buying leads ?
i dont think the leads on ebay are particularly expencive, and since i can get blue ones to match the color of the car.. i guess theres a bonus to that... but if i can save miself that money.. i may as well :) not to mention the task of swapping 4 leads sounds a bit time consuming

is this fixable ?
Still learning
Tuga2112
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 23.05.2018, 21:30

EDIT
(adding pictures of the original washer from the oposite side)

Fixed the seat recliner on the car.

handmade my own version of A100UO300F washer by taking a normal washer, and with the dremel, square file, hammer and vice. cut and shaped the washer into submission to its final resting place.

after doing this i came to find we can get them from Kelvedon Motors from a member on facebook.

still, just posting the story for the record.

If anyone needs one of these im sure i can make another and take it to the west midlands meeting.

video i took just to show on facebook youtube link

a few pictures of the original for comparison
Last edited by Tuga2112 on Wed 23.05.2018, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
Still learning
Tuga2112
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 23.05.2018, 22:16

Replaced weatherstrips as they were dried out and breaking apart.

i folowed Gordon Twist's guide on the wiki with a change.

I bought the strips from vintageCarParts for profile 685 as per guide

the difference between the guide and my instalation is that i took out the old strips. and using a propane torch i burn loose the old rubber compound in order to use the metal strip as the frame instead of getting some acrylic tabs.

I then glued the old frames to the new rubber strips using a fast contact glue i bought at toolstation (Evo Stik Contact Adhesive)

after this when i went to test i found out the little lip in the metal was creating a gap between the rubber and the door
using the dremel i cut along the metal strip the lip out. and then installed the strips and cut to measure.

the advantage of this approach is that i could reuse the metal strips which are already drilled in allighment to the door fibreglass....

problem with reusing the holes, is that sometimes they will require new screws... so im not sure i ended up gaining anything from this approach, but im pleased with the result anyway.

one thing that didnt turn out too well, was the cut at the edge of the passenger strip. i cut the vertical area too close to the top edge, which gave the strip too much flexibility and ended up bending into a unpleasant shape at the end of the door. any suggestions on a fix to that are welcome.

will take a picture of the end results tomorow and update this post.

EDIT
adding pictures of end result

Last edited by Tuga2112 on Thu 24.05.2018, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
Still learning
Tuga2112
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 23.05.2018, 22:50

Next update.... fixed outriggers.

got some welding done. and after that painted with black hammerite paint to make sure any rust will be prevented.

after the welding ant painting i also replaced the sound insulation with pads cut to size using the non-porous insulation material, which will prevent water from sticking to the shell and with a bit of luck, make the outriggers last another good 30-40 years.

I done this job in both cars, and since both cars have fibreglass interior in blue, theres a chanse some pictures are mixed up beteween the 2 threads. if you want to spot the difference and tell me which ones are in the wrong thread feel free to play that game :-D :poke:

:clap: and finally.. some new insulation :clap:
Still learning
Tuga2112
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 23.05.2018, 23:04

Another improvement/ upgrade done.

this was done while the doorcards where out to replace the weather strips.

most of us probably have found when taking apart our doorcards that the bolts going in the lower carpet side tend to either go missing, or not bolt into any thread. or simply have a self tapping screw next to the hole...

the issue is that the original fasteners in the doors are effectively rubber nut/grommets. after 20 years the rubber tends to dry off and no longer give a good grip and either spin with the bolts or sumply come out of the hole. and putting them back is.. well pointless.

I have tried to replace them with other rubber grommets in the past. but they wouldnt hold place, and apart from glueing them with epoxy, i couldnt ge them to work nicely. so i decided to find an alternative solution.

my solution was to use rivnuts.
The original bolts are M5 thread, but since the holes are too big for M5 rivnuts to fit snug i had to use M6

i have the doors on the yellow elan with some bolts replaced with rivnuts for a while, but when i took the doorcards out of both cars in the last 2 weeks i decided to replace all M5 rubber grommets with rivnuts. so. heres some pictures of the door of the yellow car. but the bottom line is.. same job done on the blue car (in this thread topic) so they still apply. although if you guys want to be pedantic i can take pictures of the blue one too :P the only difference is the original Lotus speakers (for now) instead of the newer alpine models i have in the Yellow car

ups.. now i notice from the pictures. only one of them as the new rivnut in. but rest assured, theres 8 of them per door :D
Still learning
Tuga2112
God

Previous

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)