The Spirit Of Generosity

We have never and will never ask for subscriptions. But, to enable us to support forthcoming commitments to the best of our capabilities, we always welcome voluntary contributions.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

The Spirit Of Generosity

Postby Elanlover » Fri 18.04.2008, 13:50

I have to say that I think it shows enourmous generosity on behalf of some of the members here who are offering up some of their spare parts for sale then donating the receipts to LEC to fund its ongoing endeavours. For example, I just bought a part of kuching who then donated the funds to LEC. Some folks already offer up their time (which we should always be conscious of and never take for granted) which I'm sure is just as important as cold hard cash to the ongoing operations of LEC. We should ALL feel terribly indebted.

However, upon reflection, it dawned on me that it really does take money to keep LEC going. Just to keep the site running involves hosting fees, domain name ownership fees, and probably some other fees I'm not aware of. That doesn't include the costs to be present at Donington and other "events" or activities that we, the members, all drive benefit or enjoyment from.

Who's covering these costs????? Is it fair that a few people in LEC should shoulder the burden themselves as well as donate their time???? I think everyone here would have to say no. Yet, I've never once seen any admin person ask for donations outright.

Now, everyone here has received (or can potentially receive) MASSIVE amounts of knowledge, technical expertise, access to manuals, etc. The community here providses levels of "service" to its members that even Lotus would blush at. Consequently, I'd like to make 2 suggestions and seek some feedback from the members on them.

1. Post a link at the top of the page that allows people who want to donate to be able to do so. This isn't like handing the plate around. I'm not suggesting that LEC run around to its members asking for money. But, LEC NEEDS money - there's no two ways about it. Its just the way things are. So, why not create a way to let those who feel they want to give back to the community and LEC to do so?

2, In times of need (either due to cash shortage or special "projects" or events) make an announcement on the forum that LEC is seeking funds for whatever event or reason is foremost on the schedule. Donations can be time, money or materials. But, if things are needed, then they are needed and LEC should be communicating this to its members. Tell us exactly what's needed (including the amount of money) and let us donate though a special donation link related to that event.

Now, to be clear, I'm not trying to guilt people into giving their money away. No one can know or comment on anyone else's personal financial position nor insist that they give money. A link at the top of the page allows people to donate in relative anonymity and to do so without prodding by the admin. I can't imagine what would happen if, one day, someone had to annouce that LEC would have to shut down due to lack of funds. I'd hope there'd be a line up of people with open cheque books. Or, if there wasn't going to be a stand at Donington.

I've no idea what the financial situation is with LEC but I wouldn't want it to ever get to the point where that type of decision was even being contemplated. I'd bet that if every member donated $10 (or the equivalent), that'd go a long way. Some might donate more, some less. No problem, you give what you can and feel like giving. Its all up to you.

Comments?
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby Monty » Fri 18.04.2008, 14:05

:goodposting:

But you need to get on more often as it`s all been talked about lately and there is a seperate heading at the top of the main page which says DONATIONS :smt044
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby Elanlover » Fri 18.04.2008, 14:06

DOH! :banghead:

Just need the link at the top of the page (that goes to a Paypal page or something for "Instant Donations" :-D )
Elanlover

Postby Monty » Fri 18.04.2008, 14:16

Elanlover wrote:DOH! :banghead:

Just need the link at the top of the page (that goes to a Paypal page or something for "Instant Donations" :-D )

I`ve already suggested this but Mr Smith doesn`t want to make the paypal account made public and prefer members who want to donate to send him a PM for details.
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 18.04.2008, 17:16

Monty wrote:
Elanlover wrote:DOH! :banghead:

I've already suggested this but Mr Smith doesn't want to make the paypal account made public and prefer members who want to donate to send him a PM for details.

Total b*ll*cks you stupid Jock! :smt044 (to be fair you're nearly right)

We don't want to post account details openly on the forum to avoid being interfered with by spam harvesters. I will (and have) give out details for payment but I want to check with Al on avoiding spam etc (my e-mail account is getting 100+ per day) before we ask Admins for permission to put the button on the site.

Do I take it that people are generally in favour of this?
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby abmunro » Fri 18.04.2008, 17:37

I think its a good idea.

Could you put a cashometer on the site to indicate when funds are high/ Medium / Low. ( Barchart )

This could serve as to give people notice when the club could do with extra funds.
91 Elan SE 24k miles, 270 BHP @ 1.25 barg. Roll hoops + fairings+ speed humps Elise lights. S2 alloys. Nitrons& Eibachs,AP's front & Hi Spec rear brakes
abmunro
God

Postby Elanlover » Fri 18.04.2008, 17:57

GeoffSmith wrote:Do I take it that people are generally in favour of this?

Sign me up buttercup. :-D

abmunro wrote:Could you put a cashometer on the site to indicate when funds are high/ Medium / Low. ( Barchart )

This could serve as to give people notice when the club could do with extra funds.

This is not a bad idea at all, whether exactly as described or in some other way. Look, we are all in this together. I never got the impression that LEC is belongs to "some group of people" who run it and let the rest of us play along. It always appeared to me to be the property of the members - even if conceptually.

Members contribute stuff, suggestions, advice, ideas, materials, money, time, etc. So, LEC is really the property of all who contribute to it and use it. Therefore, we have an "right" (of sorts) to understand its health and a shared obligation to keep it financially healthy.

Besides, If people know where we sit, no one on the admin team will need to feel embarrased to ask for money - it should just "appear" :-D
Elanlover

Postby John_W » Fri 18.04.2008, 23:07

Elanlover wrote:... the admin team ... embarrased ...

First time I've seen that juxtaposition. :-D
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby Sy V » Sat 19.04.2008, 06:12

Oh
Attachments
9.gif
Blushing due to embarrassment
9.gif (1.6 KiB) Viewed 3635 times

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant

In Respectful Memory - 21st March 1959 - 14th February 2016
Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby John_W » Sat 19.04.2008, 09:08

Hi Sy,
:smt039
I guess that means I still get to keep the Philistine designation. :-D

In my defence I'll say I've just sent Geoff a small donation via the electronic bank transfer method. It took a few days for him to reply to emails PM's (no doubt because of the traffic through his in-box) but he did in the end. I found a good way to get his attention was to entitle the PM "I wanna give you money".

Now that I've set the receiving LEC account details with my bank I'll be able to tranfer a few quid into the kitty at any time in the future without having to disturb Geoff again. I agree that it's better to contact Geoff for the info than to publish the account details on the web.

I dunno if the bank transfer method will work for people in other countries though. You'll probably be reported for attempted money laundering. :roll:

John
John_W
Heid-bummer

Return to LEC Donations