Gas Struts/Springs For Hood/Bonnet

Start your Group Buy threads here for anything pertaining to the M100

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Re: Gas Struts/Springs For Hood/Bonnet

Postby simonbuk » Wed 12.07.2017, 19:26

Well the obvious happened. The bonnets stuck, cannot open.

I got it as far as the latch but it just won't open after that.

Anybody going to save me from a frustrating afternoon ?
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby dapinky » Wed 12.07.2017, 19:50

Simon,

It may sound a bit brutal, but here's how I did it......

.... switch on the headlamps, this will allow you to stand in front of the car and grip the front/outer edges of the bonnet, then just wiggle it around until it releases.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby simonbuk » Thu 13.07.2017, 12:23

My dad has the Midas touch.

He asked if he could help, lovely guy is 80 now and sometimes is a little frustrating to work with (or I'm an impatient sh*t).

Came down to the garage. Tugged on the front of the bonnet (with the lights up) then moved his hands about 8 inches further up the bonnet (next to the top of the light pods) and bingo ! Opened first time !

Maybe the 50 years of working in the motor trade has paid off !! Thank heavens for patient fathers.

Anyhow, my bonnet was sticking proud at the back, didn't like it, could see too much into the side. Soon realised that the top brackets were catching, as some people had said. Changed them so the socket is facing inwards - bingo problem solved.

I had already changed the bottom bracket so it now sits on top of the original bottom bracket. Don't know if I needed to have done this.

I'll post a picture of where it catches later.

Dad's gone off for lunch to have a well earned sandwich and orange squash. :bowdown:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby simonbuk » Thu 13.07.2017, 17:34

Catches here -

And here -

Zoom in to see the white marks - thats the area it might rub on.

Now working well, no more dents in the back of my head (didn't help being 6'2" !).

simonbuk
God

Postby simonbuk » Tue 18.07.2017, 20:42

Ah, now i heard something about Photobucket changing, cleary it has !!

Think you have to start paying if you want to link files elsewhere...........

simonbuk
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Sun 23.07.2017, 07:10

simonbuk wrote:Ah, now i heard something about Photobucket changing, cleary it has !!

Think you have to start paying if you want to link files elsewhere...........

I use TinyPic it's free and still going strong after 3 years of use.
Just a shame they don't allow FTP upload, as uploading in batches of 5 when I make considerable progress in a project can be time consuming
1991 elan se ongoing project
1991 elan se blue off road project
1994 celica GT4
1994 4Runner
1998 celica SR (off the road)

Small project
Tuga2112
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Group Buys