rubber ring for front wing!

Start your Group Buy threads here for anything pertaining to the M100

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

rubber ring for front wing!

Postby dapinky » Wed 05.02.2020, 15:36

Rubber grommit for inner wing air intake pipe (SE/S2)

Many (many many!) years ago I did a Group Buy for these rubber rings from SJ's (ended up with about 60 of the bloody things for distribution at Donington)....

... they were not as robust as the OE ones fitted to the cars, but better than a cracked or missing original.

Mine lasted about 5 years before showing signs of cracking - it is still intact, but looking a little past its best.

I intended to get another one, but it got put into the 'I'll do it one of these days....' basket and promptly forgotten.

Another thread has spurred me on to search the internet tirelessly for nearly 3 minutes, and i have seen the part advertised from "MGB Hive" for £3.

Obviously, to buy one leads to inflated P&P charges (as is standard!), but as with many sellers, they will offer a 'free P&P' subject to a minimum order.

Now, the astute amongst you will know where this is going (yes - to somewhere I never wanted to venture again!!!!).

Just to clarify, I have NOT spoken to the company, I cannot claim that the item is brilliant and will last forever - and I don't know if they have 1 unit or a box with 5 gross sitting on the shelf (you youngsters, and non-Brits may need to google what that means :lol: :lol: ).

I know that I can fit one in an envelope, but whether that envelope fits through the slot in the post office for a letter, large letter or small parcel, I cannot say. (well, I can have a good guess, as it won't be less than 5mm thick.... up to 25mm will be a 'large letter', and over that is a parcel.... so i would expect it to be a 'Large Letter'. Up to 100g attracts a postage charge of 83p and if it is over that, then £1.32.

Add in the cost of an envelope (not a lot) and I would expect it to be either a quid, or maybe a quid and a half (if over 100g).

Bulk orders charged at rate of postage, NOT necesarily as above. (or collect at Castle Combe for no postage option).

So.....

before i contact the company to see about stock availability, how many am I looking at? Is it just one for me, or does anyone else want a replacement? I will need at least 8 buyers to benefit from free delivery to my address.

Oh, and before it starts to get too complicated, I am prepared to post overseas, but would need to research costs for that, so it may be better to buy one in your own country if they are availlable for a reasonable cost...... Part number is AHA 5445.

1. Pinky
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Re: rubber ring for front wing!

Postby donsladek » Wed 05.02.2020, 16:38

If I recall correctly, these rings are also used to isolate the fuel filler neck from the body- correct me if I'm wrong.

Another part number for these might be 280-105. These were used on MG Midgets and Austin Healey Sprites.

Moss Motors has these in the US for $3.99, but they require a $10 min order.
Don Sladek
Calypso Red '91 #37594

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
donsladek
Fanatic

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 05.02.2020, 18:01

Dave.

have you got any pictures of exactly which part this is or the lotus part number and page in the parts manual to get a better idea ?

i suspect im gonna end up putting my name down to replace them in both cars, but im not 100% sure if your refering to the part that is supposed to protect the clam shell from the intake hose (from the intercooler to the plenum) vibrations or something else in that area of the car ?

PS, we be looking at CC collection if i dont see you sometime sooner this year
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby clemo » Wed 05.02.2020, 18:29

1. Pinky
2. Clemo ( pick up at combe ... save postage)
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby dapinky » Wed 05.02.2020, 20:04

Tuga2112 wrote:Dave.

have you got any pictures of exactly which part this is or the lotus part number and page in the parts manual to get a better idea ?

Joao,

Lotus part number A100L0077F - item #55 on page 42.01A in the parts Manual

SJ part number = SJ100L0001 (listed at £10.25 each.... )

However - I have now been informed that the MG part *may* not be the best bet, as the inner diameter leaves a bit of a gap between the pipe and the grommit.

Does anyone have any definative information on this, or better yet, a picture of it in situ so I (we?) can make an informed decision on whether it is suitable, whether I speak to Steve Roberts for a deal, or whether we just leave it......
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby TorqueHorse » Thu 06.02.2020, 06:28

donsladek wrote:If I recall correctly, these rings are also used to isolate the fuel filler neck from the body- correct me if I'm wrong.

Another part number for these might be 280-105. These were used on MG Midgets and Austin Healey Sprites.

Moss Motors has these in the US for $3.99, but they require a $10 min order.

In addition, I can run point on making a North America buy from Moss, if folks are interested. Just need 1 more person to hit the min spend. (Target end of Feb for buy?)

North America buy
1. TorqueHorse (x2)
TorqueHorse

Postby Tuga2112 » Thu 06.02.2020, 10:06

1. Pinky
3. Tuga 2x
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby MPx » Thu 06.02.2020, 13:52

dapinky wrote:However - I have now been informed that the MG part *may* not be the best bet, as the inner diameter leaves a bit of a gap between the pipe and the grommit.

Does anyone have any definative information on this, or better yet, a picture of it in situ so I (we?) can make an informed decision on whether it is suitable, whether I speak to Steve Roberts for a deal, or whether we just leave it......

Not sure whether this helps much Dave as it seemed impossible to get a close up of the pipe/grommet "fit", but in my view its fine despite not being a super tight interference fit. There are no visible gaps with it in situ. This is a version of the MG/Sprite grommet bought in 2017 from ANG Classic Car Parts on scambay. As you can see it still looks fine but then its only 3 years old.

Without wishing to p**s on any parades....is it really worth all the trouble of a group buy for a less than a tenner item? Mine was £6:65 incl postage. Also there appears to be two threads/lists for this - or have I misunderstood (again!) ...
Mike - MPx
95 M100 Elan S2 (423)
86 Turbo Esprit
but no longer Carlton no 808 nor Sunbeam S1 :(
MPx
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Thu 06.02.2020, 15:40

Mike,

Thanks for the photo - it helps me to see what I'll get....... it looks fine to me.

As far as running it as a 'group buy', i fully accept that the items are 'only' £6 or so each, and thus the saving is less than a Costa Coffee (other chains are also available!) - but I see it more as a public service to those who want one, but (like me) keep putting it off for whatever reason. if I get a few people who I can help (especially if they are collecting in person), then we all win a bit.

It may well be that it isn't worthwhile to post them to USA (odd ones to EU isn't likely to be aproblem), but if there are a few people who want them over there, it may be better for them to do a GB of their own from a US supplier (or not!) - I'm just seeing if it is worth my while contacting the company to buy a few - it may well not be viable, but unless I look, I'll never know!
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 06.02.2020, 22:58

Not trying to kill the enthusiasm for the Sprite part, I want to point out that all of the cars have their HVAC air intake on the left hand side of the area behind where the induction pipe goes through.

Because the Sprite ring does NOT seal the to the pipe (and the seal at the body is also not very good), the potential to have the HVAC system pick up "contaminated" air from the engine compartment is highly possible.
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Thu 20.02.2020, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Lotus Manuals
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby nicowalker1 » Thu 20.02.2020, 09:11

1. Pinky
3. Tuga 2x
4. Nick W x2 please
nicowalker1
God

Postby M100TURBOFR » Fri 21.02.2020, 16:03

Dave
Still a bit confused. At one point 3-4 weeks ago there were two posts re these rubber rings. I put my name down but obviously in the wrong one as I can't trace it any more.
I'd like to purchase one with postage to France in addition. I've added my name to your list. Payment will follow when required.
Thanks David

1. Pinky
3. Tuga 2x
4. Nick W x2 please
5. M100turbofr x 1 with postage to France
Where there's a will, there's a way.
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby scotlan » Fri 21.02.2020, 16:21

1. Pinky
3. Tuga 2x
4. Nick W x2 please
5. M100turbofr x 1 with postage to France[/quote]1. Pinky
6. Scotlan (Tony)
scotlan
Tinkerer

Postby Elanthrapist » Mon 24.02.2020, 00:54

1. Pinky
3. Tuga 2x
4. Nick W x2 please
5. M100turbofr x 1 with postage to France[/quote]1. Pinky
6. Scotlan (Tony)
7.Elanthrapist x2 with postage pls. George.
1968 Elan S4 dhc (Now sold).
1974 Elan Plus 2 S130/5
1994 Elan M100 S2
Elanthrapist

Postby Lotussi » Wed 04.03.2020, 17:33

Hi there,

put me down for one of those please!
-I am not sure how this works with group buys...
Lotussi

Postby timhop » Wed 18.03.2020, 17:55

please put me down for 2x rings to post after receiving my payment.
timhop

Return to Group Buys