Kuching Roll Hoops, Deck and Fairings

Start your Group Buy threads here for anything pertaining to the M100

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Re: Kuching Roll Hoops, Deck and Fairings

Postby HJ2 » Sun 27.11.2022, 18:02

M10…. Is that one of the prototypes?
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Sun 27.11.2022, 20:46

HJ2 wrote:Hope i’m still first in line if somebody decides to part from their full kuching set ;-)

Anyone who wants the Kuching hoops is going to have to do what I did - sell your Elan and buy one of the small number which have the hoops fitted. The chances of more being made are very slim, and if they do get made, it is not going to be for a considerable time.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Postby HJ2 » Sun 27.11.2022, 21:00

Any LHD with the full monty for sale? :D :cheers:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby chris.t » Mon 28.11.2022, 12:11

Are cars with the Kuching hoops/fairings and deck sort after now then?
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Postby dapinky » Mon 28.11.2022, 16:05

Now, I might well be jumping the gun here, but if it helps to avoid people valuing their cars according to this (very desirable) modification, and others getting disappointed, I feel it appropriate to make some sort of information available to the membership.

As we all know, Simon Carrier (Kutching) did a marvellous job in the design of the hoops using his years of experience in Competition Car design and build to provide something which not only looks good (or great, with the body mods), but also provides a nice security blanket in use.

The hoops/bars whatever you wish to call them are NOT specifically intended to be referred to as a "safety device", or as a set of "roll-over protection bars" as they have never been submitted for testing by any of the recognised agencies (TUV, BS etc). The reasons for this are many, but basically, would require both a quantity of cash, and a number of vehicles which could be destroyed during the testing - which wasn't really a great option, when the intention is to preserve as many cars as possible, BUT more importantly, to preserve as many occupants as possible!

Anyway, having spent time with Simon, studying the designs and materials, AND the assembly/installation of the hoops I am confident that they are more than good enough to fulfil the primary objective of offering protection to occupants - IF THEY ARE FABRICATED AND FITTED PROPERLY.

It is the last bit which is important to me (and Clemo, who is the main driving force behind the further supply of the hoops), and although Simon has moved on in his life/work/hobbies, he has given written permission to LEC to go ahead with supply of the hoops (and body mouldings) on the sole condition that it is done to the benefit of the community, AND done to a standard which is equal or higher than the items he originally made. To that end, "we" have been working hard to get the original fabricator (Andy, based in Scotland) to build them, but, to put it bluntly, he isn't really interested in a short-term manufacture and bespoke fitting service as it simply isn't worth his while.

To that end, "we" have been working to find someone with the necessary skills, credentials, and (most importantly) enthusiasm to do the work to an acceptable standard, at a reasonable price to our members, whilst making enough for himself to make it viable, BUT not to be a "commercial venture" in and of itself.

This is no easy task (as you may imagine).

I have had a number of people (both amateur and commercial) approach "us" offering to take on the job - but we wish to keep it as close to the originals as possible, and Simon wouldn't want his name associated with a 'man in a shed with a MIG welder' (Yes, I know it is a bit tongue-in-cheek when we know how Colin Chapman started, and we know that a man in a shed with some skills and enthusiasm will be able to do the job).

Now, I KNOW that I could knock up a set in my garage, and fit it to a car....... but........ I am realistic enough to know that my welding isn't of a high enough standard to please Simon, and "we" would risk having him pull the plug on the whole project.

As we all know, every Elan is slightly different, and whilst I have the original jig to position all the tubing and weld it into a set of bars, it is the fitting that makes every job a bespoke piece of engineering, as if it doesn't fit properly, it may look okay, but may not work as intended!!!

Now, I have spoken to a couple of guys near me (West Wales) who build race cars and roll bars as 'one-offs' who can easily do the job, but have so much work on that they wouldn't be able to do a couple this month, a couple next month, and 15 in March - they would need to have a period of time to work it into their schedule, learn the job etc etc - and only then be able to accurately price it up..... and that would need a lot of communication and people willing to have their cars on hand at shortish notice.

Clemo has also spoken to some people in Devon, and they are in pretty much the same boat. (and I dare say it is going to be the same whatever geographical location is used).

Catch-22 is that most people will want a price before committing, and most fabricators can't give a price without doing a couple first.

Knocking up a set on the jig is a reasonably known quantity (materials and time can be worked out quite simply) - it is the fettling and fitting which is less known.

Anyway, "we" have found a guy in Devon who looks like he may fit the bill for what we need, as he is both skilled, enthusiastic and non-commercial (in so much as he will work for us, NOT take the job over for himself)....... and "we" hope to be speaking with him at some length in early 2023.

If "we" are happy with him (and him with us!), we will seek Simons rubber-stamp of the fabricator, and be in a position to move forward.

He has previous experience in similar projects, and has the necessary skills to make, fettle and fit both the metal and fibreglass bits to a high standard.

(I have all the necessary jigs, moulds and information - and NO, I won't be handing them over to anyone who wants to make them for themselves, as I have had to say no to many others who have asked to take on the job in the past...... we have been burned in the past when the moulds for the rear light panels and the Kutching hard-top have gone to someone known, only to be passed on (or sold :( ) to other people and have been lost to "us" as a community).

Realistically, I think that anyone who will want these bars will need to accept that they will need to have their car in a workshop for a few days for the fettling/fitting... unless it becomes apparent that the final fitting can be accomplished by anyone with some knowledge - probably more for international owners than 'local ones - and that such a move may involve either a collection/delivery and/or a few days holiday in a town which may or may not be convenient for everyone.

I know it doesn't answer everything, but all I can say is "watch this space"......
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby chris.t » Mon 28.11.2022, 16:57

I had the hoops, fairings and deck fitted by Simon. He had my car for 3 days and did it in his spare time! The only work I had to do was prep the deck and get it painted. I won't tell you the cost of it all as it was ridiculously cheap imho. I will always be ever thankful to Simon, as well as being a bloody nice guy, he is an exceptional engineer.
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Previous

Return to Group Buys