Elise Airbag Steering Wheel Hub Adaptor

Start your Group Buy threads here for anything pertaining to the M100

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Elise Airbag Steering Wheel Hub Adaptor

Postby Elanlover » Wed 22.04.2009, 13:48

For those with FED CARS ONLY I have been in contact with an Esprit owners group member who has had an adaptor plate custom made to support a transition from the ugly airbag wheel found on the Elan nd Esprit to a Raid airbag wheel. This adaptor can also be made to work (with some customizing to transition fro 3 to 4 bolt mounting pattern) with the Elise airbag wheel. Pic of the adaptor is below. Its very thin which is what would be needed to ensure the Elise wheel doesn't stick out to much farther than the stock wheel. I am waiting on som dimensions to ensure it will do the job but I'm pretty confident it will. It has been installed on at least 2 Elans in the past to mount a Raid airbag wheel.

The guy who did the project says he needs 20 to justify a production run at about $200 each (not a firm quote). He thinks there are still several Esprit owners who need one still and has asked if we can get 10 of us to indicate interest. Again, that's not a comittment from him - just a starting point that may or may not lead to a run. The other stuff you need to make this ork include an Elise steering wheel and an airbag. Both are often found on eBay. A contact ring might also be usefulbut not necessary. I do have an extra wheel (no airbag) and contact ring that I'd make available for sale (at my original cost) to the first person that requests it should someone need it.

So, if you're interested from what we know today, please indicate so below. Thanks.

1. Elanlover
Attachments
image001[1].JPG
image001[1].JPG (32.41 KiB) Viewed 6900 times
Last edited by Elanlover on Wed 22.04.2009, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Re: Elise Airbag Steering Wheel Hub Adaptor

Postby superbad » Wed 22.04.2009, 15:08

1. Elanlover
2. superbad
superbad
Fanatic

Postby lotos » Wed 22.04.2009, 20:29

1. Elanlover
2. superbad
3. lotos

Criminy that's a lot of scratch.
lotos
God

Postby superbad » Wed 22.04.2009, 22:26

The splines are where all the cost is- they are probably cutting them by wire edm. If you knew you were going to be making a bunch, you could have a broaching tool made and bring the unit cost way down.
superbad
Fanatic

Postby cliffyg » Fri 24.04.2009, 05:38

lotos wrote:1. Elanlover
2. superbad
3. lotos
4. cliffyg
Criminy that's a lot of scratch.
"Honey are you sure this car can handle this speed??????"
cliffyg

Postby Elanlover » Thu 07.05.2009, 16:22

This isn't dead in case people were wondering. I am trying to get a price from a local shop to make these which is proving harder than I'd hoped given that there are no samples or CAD drawings available. Hopefully I'll know something soon.
Elanlover

Postby lotos » Tue 12.05.2009, 18:03

Thanks - appreciate the effort!
lotos
God

Postby Elanlover » Mon 18.05.2009, 14:33

Okie Dokie. I've received a quote from a local machine shop for making these hubs. $500. I guess we need to look at the option of the Esprit Hub then? :roll:

Cost was likely high due to the small production run and the fact that I couldn't supply any diagrams. The hubs that the guy I contacted made for the Esprit (and a few Elan owners) looks pretty good at about $200. I can't imagine getting them made for significantly less than that and I don't think its worth the effort to shop around to save $10. I'll contact the guy and let him know that we have 5 or so people interested and see if that's enough to get a run started. I'll report back what I hear.
Elanlover

Postby superbad » Mon 18.05.2009, 15:57

What do you have right now exactly? Is there a sample or anything can be measured to make a set of drawings? I can create the drawings and get a couple dozen quotes on mfg.com, but I don't have an Elise wheel to measure, and I'd have to take my car apart to get the other dimensions (possible, but inconvenient as I drive it almost every day).

You'd be amazed at the disparity in machining quotes you get normally- when I put even a simple machined part out for quote, there's usually at least a factor of 10 difference between the high and low bid. That doesn't mean we could get these for $20- I think that $200 price is probably in the middle somewhere.
superbad
Fanatic

Postby Elanlover » Mon 18.05.2009, 20:10

superbad wrote:What do you have right now exactly? Is there a sample or anything can be measured to make a set of drawings? I can create the drawings and get a couple dozen quotes on mfg.com, but I don't have an Elise wheel to measure, and I'd have to take my car apart to get the other dimensions (possible, but inconvenient as I drive it almost every day).

You'd be amazed at the disparity in machining quotes you get normally- when I put even a simple machined part out for quote, there's usually at least a factor of 10 difference between the high and low bid. That doesn't mean we could get these for $20- I think that $200 price is probably in the middle somewhere.

Actually, I have nothing other than the picture posted here and kniowledge of what few differences needed to accomodate the Elise wheel. I'm not sure the guy I spoke with who did the original runs has drawings either. What I could do though is go to him and ask him for the drawings if he has them and thinks he won't have enough for a run. He might be kind enough to give me a copy if he has them. I'll e-mail him today.

On a related topic, I have the old steering wheel out for some work and got the speedo and fascia mask back in place. So, I held the Elise wheel up to get a sense of the view of the instruments. I'm 5'10" and i have lowered my seats about halfway from stock to the bare floor. The top of the speedo if cut off so you can't see the numbers at the top. Something like 100kmph (60mph) - 160kmph (100mph) are either partially or totally obscured. Also, on the tach, the numerals 1 and 2 are obscured and the fuel gauge is obscured from Full to about half empty. Now, If I lowered the seat further I think I could see most of the speedo. But, I don't think the sides will be more visible.
Elanlover

Postby superbad » Mon 18.05.2009, 23:02

Elanlover wrote:Actually, I have nothing other than the picture posted here and kniowledge of what few differences needed to accomodate the Elise wheel. I'm not sure the guy I spoke with who did the original runs has drawings either. What I could do though is go to him and ask him for the drawings if he has them and thinks he won't have enough for a run. He might be kind enough to give me a copy if he has them. I'll e-mail him today.

OK, cool. Let me know if I can help. The original version at $200 isn't a bad price if he's willing to make them again.
superbad
Fanatic

Postby Elanlover » Wed 20.05.2009, 20:58

Gettng closer now with some chit chat back and forth. He needs 15 for a run. We have 4 interested (still hopefully). I might add one for a spare or for sale later. We'll have a final price soon enough if he can get 15 total and figure out what the cost will be to modify the original design to meet the Elise wheel's needs (2 small changes).

One thing's for sure, there won't be another run anytime soon on this so better buck up now if you have any interest at all. I still have one extra Elise wheel without the airbag still available too.
Elanlover

Postby Elanlover » Mon 25.05.2009, 19:22

The guy organizing the run needs to see if he can source the RAID airbag connectors. Thesea are needed (not for us) to ensure that the OTHER Esprit owners can connect up their wheels. He'll let me knw what he finds but this is a key ingredient to getting this adaptor built.
Elanlover

Postby Elanlover » Thu 25.06.2009, 13:27

I have engaged Bob (of brake and suspension fame) here at LEC to see if he can have these made. Upon initial review, he believes he can have them made at less cost than has been quoted so far.

Don't give up hope! We'll have our Elise wheels on the Elan yet :burnout:
Elanlover

Postby lotos » Mon 29.06.2009, 21:47

Now about converting to tilt-wheel.....
lotos
God

Postby Elanlover » Mon 29.06.2009, 22:02

lotos wrote:Now about converting to tilt-wheel.....

Don't think that'll happen although I did see a "possible" way to adjust the position of the wheel slightly. That's another thread though :wink:
Elanlover

Postby nitroman » Mon 29.06.2009, 23:01

Elanlover wrote:On a related topic, I have the old steering wheel out for some work and got the speedo and fascia mask back in place. So, I held the Elise wheel up to get a sense of the view of the instruments. I'm 5'10" and i have lowered my seats about halfway from stock to the bare floor. The top of the speedo if cut off so you can't see the numbers at the top. Something like 100kmph (60mph) - 160kmph (100mph) are either partially or totally obscured. Also, on the tach, the numerals 1 and 2 are obscured and the fuel gauge is obscured from Full to about half empty. Now, If I lowered the seat further I think I could see most of the speedo. But, I don't think the sides will be more visible.

What are the rim dimensions (OD & ID of the rim) of the Elise wheel VS the Elan wheel?
Strive for perfection in everything. (given time)
Take the best that exists & make it better. (given inclination)
If it doesn't exist, create it. (God did)
Ignore what I say. (good advice)
nitroman

Postby lotos » Mon 29.06.2009, 23:54

Elanlover wrote:
lotos wrote:Now about converting to tilt-wheel.....

Don't think that'll happen although I did see a "possible" way to adjust the position of the wheel slightly. That's another thread though :wink:

So start that thread!
lotos
God

Postby esprit888 » Tue 30.06.2009, 02:50

About this much :-D
Elise over Elan.jpg
(92.06 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

Side by side.jpg
(97.32 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

nitroman wrote:
Elanlover wrote:On a related topic, I have the old steering wheel out for some work and got the speedo and fascia mask back in place. So, I held the Elise wheel up to get a sense of the view of the instruments. I'm 5'10" and i have lowered my seats about halfway from stock to the bare floor. The top of the speedo if cut off so you can't see the numbers at the top. Something like 100kmph (60mph) - 160kmph (100mph) are either partially or totally obscured. Also, on the tach, the numerals 1 and 2 are obscured and the fuel gauge is obscured from Full to about half empty. Now, If I lowered the seat further I think I could see most of the speedo. But, I don't think the sides will be more visible.

What are the rim dimensions (OD & ID of the rim) of the Elise wheel VS the Elan wheel?
esprit888
God

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Tue 30.06.2009, 22:05

Noteworthy tidbit. The Elise wheel is not hubcentric meaning that the bit that attaches to the steering column is not in the middle of the wheel like the OEM Elan/Esprit wheel. Just an interesting bit.
Must....................Go...............Faster
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Next

Return to Group Buys