Elise Airbag Steering Wheel Hub Adaptor

Start your Group Buy threads here for anything pertaining to the M100

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Re: Elise Airbag Steering Wheel Hub Adaptor

Postby lotos » Tue 22.02.2011, 17:08

bobbrown wrote:I can get them off in the post this side of Xmas.

Did I miss the package? I never received this from ya. :?:
lotos
God

Postby gomper71 » Thu 14.04.2011, 05:09

Matt, as you are aware I received my adapter a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for forwarding it on. Do I need to reimburse you for the postage or did Bob take care of that? Also, I can't seem to find the manual section on disarming the federal airbag system. Can anyone tell me where that is? If it is in Manual section on site I am not seeing it. After reading the dire warnings, I don't want to be a segment on 1,000 Ways to Die. I can see it now, man dies removing safety device from car.
Tom-'91 Red M100
gomper71

Postby lotos » Sun 17.04.2011, 17:15

gomper71 wrote: Also, I can't seem to find the manual section on disarming the federal airbag system. Can anyone tell me where that is? If it is in Manual section on site I am not seeing it. After reading the dire warnings, I don't want to be a segment on 1,000 Ways to Die. I can see it now, man dies removing safety device from car.

I think you're safe if you disconnect the battery, and simply remove the clip when removing the wheel. Or, just ask your friend to do it for you.
lotos
God

Postby Elanlover » Sun 17.04.2011, 18:29

lotos wrote:
gomper71 wrote: Also, I can't seem to find the manual section on disarming the federal airbag system. Can anyone tell me where that is? If it is in Manual section on site I am not seeing it. After reading the dire warnings, I don't want to be a segment on 1,000 Ways to Die. I can see it now, man dies removing safety device from car.

I think you're safe if you disconnect the battery, and simply remove the clip when removing the wheel. Or, just ask your friend to do it for you.

The DERM will retain a charge to set off the airbag for at least 15 minutes after the battery is disconnected. So, if that's the route you go then you need to wait quite some time before playing around in there just to be sure. When you remove the knee bolster there will be 2 yellow fuse holders under the dash and I believe they are just to the right of the column. Pull those after disconnecting the battery and you should be fine.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby steve matthews » Sun 17.04.2011, 21:48

I may be wrong but I just replaced the Fed. Wheel with an S-2 Wheel.
Upon removal of the Fed. wheel I simply disconnected the (orange) coupling
at the air bag. I did not dis-connect the battery or pull any fuses.
I then cut the coupler off for future re-connection if required.
I did where safety glasses and while separating the connector position the
Fed. wheel away from my face and body.
Steve
steve matthews
God

Postby lotos » Mon 18.04.2011, 14:54

Yeah I thought I remembered you saying that earlier, Steve. I know I'll play it safe with the 15 minute thing when I do mine. Even if it misses your face, the sound must be hell on your ears that close.
lotos
God

Postby Elanlover » Mon 18.04.2011, 16:50

One other useful piece of advice: when you install the steering wheel don't install the airbag right away. Attach the wheel to the hub and pull the wires through the opening into the cavity for the airbag. Hand tighten the nut then take the car out for a low speed trip around your block. You want to make sure the wheel is propoerly aligned before you put the airbag in place. If not, and you get it wrong, it'll be a royal pain to do it all over again.
Elanlover

Postby Elanlover » Sat 23.07.2011, 20:20

Getting closer to having the car back on the road so I'm starting on the steering wheel project again. As you may recall, the Elise wheel ,being a smaller diameter, obstructs the gauges just a bit. I was hoping to find a way to raise up the wheel without major surgery and noticed that there is a small spacer plate between where the column flanges are screwed to the body work. Its pictured below.

IMG_2736.JPG
IMG_2736.JPG (132.65 KiB) Viewed 5783 times

Its about 2.5mm (1/10 ") thick and I'm thinking (or hoping) that its removal will result in an increase of double that at the end of the steering wheel. Even raising the wheel a 1/4 inch will make a difference in the viewing angle and visibility of the gauges. Once I get everything all back together I'll let you know what the difference is.
Elanlover

Postby steve matthews » Sat 23.07.2011, 20:38

Interesting, will keep watching for your post.
I have incorporated the S-2 wheel on the Fed. car and viewing
can be difficult at times. I would never go back to the large bulky
Fed. wheel. The feel and response of the car has greatly improved.
Steve -w- S-2 steering wheel, who needs to see the MPH anyway. :lol:
steve matthews
God

Postby Lotus54 » Mon 31.10.2011, 02:47

Anymore of these hub adapters around?
91 Elan, Ducati Multistrada S, 2014 OSSA Explorer
Lotus54
Enthusiast

Postby bobbrown » Mon 31.10.2011, 08:48

When I made these I did make a couple of spares all be it less the holes for the steering wheel in case some one wanted to fit a different steering wheel.
Just a case of drilling and tapping the holes in them and they would be available.

Bob
Pacific Blue N/A
" When you’re up to your arse in alligators, it’s difficult to remember that the object of the exercise is to drain the swamp"
please use email for correspondence
bobbrown
God

Postby Lotus54 » Wed 02.11.2011, 02:15

bobbrown wrote:When I made these I did make a couple of spares all be it less the holes for the steering wheel in case some one wanted to fit a different steering wheel.
Just a case of drilling and tapping the holes in them and they would be available.

Bob

Any chance of getting one drilled and tapped also?
91 Elan, Ducati Multistrada S, 2014 OSSA Explorer
Lotus54
Enthusiast

Postby s800mhrc » Thu 26.07.2012, 10:00

bobbrown wrote:Prototype nearly completed the hardest job is done cutting the splines but was not difficult just time consuming, 28 splines cut one at a time! Should be able to get it Canada next week for testing.

It looks like I can get these made for less than $100.00 each but the more there are the cheaper they will be, if it is only 3 or 4 I will make them myself.
Elise steering wheel to Elan hub (airbag) prototype production ones will be anodised
elise to elan hub.jpg

Espirt
Esprit Hub.JPG

Bob

Dear Bob
I want a Hub that you made.
I want to buy it .
Please tell me.
s800mhrc

Postby wegsleepregeling » Fri 01.11.2013, 12:35

Elanlover wrote:Ok folks, belowe are some pics of the Elise wheel installed with the prototype hub adaptor. There's 4 very small changes to the protoype to be made then I think we have a design that works. I'll let you know when the design and coste per hub is finalized and Bob's ready to start making them.

Whoaaaaa. Is that a stock interior color? All the dash plastic and such. Mine is such a sickly brown...
If you save everything 'til the last minute, it only takes a minute!
wegsleepregeling

Postby wegsleepregeling » Fri 01.11.2013, 12:51

And now I've read the whole thread and all I can say is wow! I wish this was happening now so I could get in on it.
If you save everything 'til the last minute, it only takes a minute!
wegsleepregeling

Postby superbad » Sat 26.04.2014, 23:43

Can't believe it took me 4 years to install this. So much better. Looks right, steering is more direct, and it's probably 5 pounds lighter than that POS Pontiac wheel.

elisewheel (Medium).JPG
superbad
Fanatic

Postby lotos » Sun 27.04.2014, 01:18

That does look great! I can't believe it's been 4 years. What part did you end up using for the airbag connection?
lotos
God

Postby superbad » Sun 27.04.2014, 01:23

Just bought one of those Vauxhall (Corsa I think) contact rings and cut the connector off of it.
superbad
Fanatic

Postby tigerdog » Sun 27.04.2014, 14:33

I am envious - looks fantastic!
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby Elanlover » Sun 27.04.2014, 15:47

It does look good indeed! I really like the feel of the smaller wheel and it looks much better. Looks like a brand new car with your dash in such good shape as well 8)
Elanlover

PreviousNext

Return to Group Buys