Gas Struts/Springs For Hood/Bonnet

Start your Group Buy threads here for anything pertaining to the M100

Moderators: theelanman, GeoffSmith, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT

Re: Gas Struts/Springs For Hood/Bonnet

Postby Rob P » Mon 25.07.2016, 15:16

I suppose it is a case of each to his own, I now find that the bonnet opening is fine for my accessibility needs with these struts fitted, Wind hasn't caused an issue thus far when working on the engine and being vertically challenged I don't envisage ever having to dodge the safety hook......way out of my headroom :)

Others may need to take heed so thanks for the warning :shock:
simplify and add lightness
1991 Norfolk Mustard Yellow SE - Gone but will never be forgotten :-)
1969 Lotus Elan S4 - Wedgewood Blue
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby GeoffSmith » Mon 25.07.2016, 20:10

Elanlover wrote:
lotusflasherman wrote:Whatever happened to "Simplify, then add lightness' ? :banghead:

You can remove the hood/bonnet prop to add lightness if you like :-D

I like your thinking. You might be on to something....
Img_3638x640.jpg
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - Sorry, currently unavailable.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Elanlover » Mon 25.07.2016, 20:19

That's a good start but to REALLY add lightness I suggest this. Doesn't need struts for the hood either.
Attachments
normal_photo(15).jpg
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby CalElan » Fri 05.08.2016, 00:58

lotusflasherman wrote:
alan e wrote:If that's the case why fit air con ?????????

Yes indeed, why?. Air con in an open car is a most ludicrous concept so why anybody would pay extra for it when ordering is completely beyond me. Bad enough having it on my Eclat Riviera that has a targa roof panel, but going abroad with a full boot there was nowhere to put the roof so only time I used the air con. The heat exchanger leaked Freon after being hit by a stone and was replaced but never refilled as the compressor started shearing bolts that held it on the alloy block so AC on that more trouble than it's worth so would never buy an M100 with AC.

When you're sat in glaring California sunshine.. air-con with the roof down is the way to go. Keeps those little tootsies nice and cold.. :D
CalElan
Enthusiast

Postby TrevorB » Fri 03.02.2017, 19:43

Ok, I started to fit the gas struts but despite the warning within this post a back plate has dropped presumably behind the wheel arch liner.
A question which I'm probably going to answer myself. Presumably the wheel has to be removed before taken the liner off :?: Not a problem
of course but not removed the liner before.

Thanks as always

Trevor :cheers:
Silk Red SE Turbo
Short shift conversion
HiSpec's
Piper Exhaust
TrevorB
Wannabe Princess

Postby alan e » Fri 03.02.2017, 20:11

Hi Trevor
Hope you are well if you are taking off the wheel arch liner you may find the screws rusted and hard to remove without braking the fixings there is a stainless steel fixing kit to replace all the rusted screws and fixings its worth replacing them, I am not sure but I think Geoff may have some, if you do remove the liner there are 2 screws under the car below the door you have to remove and the bolts have very flat heads on them.
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby Steve A » Fri 03.02.2017, 20:16

alan e wrote:Hi Trevor
Hope you are well if you are taking off the wheel arch liner you may find the screws rusted and hard to remove without braking the fixings there is a stainless steel fixing kit to replace all the rusted screws and fixings its worth replacing them, I am not sure but I think Geoff may have some, if you do remove the liner there are 2 screws under the car below the door you have to remove and the bolts have very flat heads on them.

If they're anything like mine then you'll probably need a drill :roll: :wink:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby dapinky » Fri 03.02.2017, 20:48

Steve A wrote:If they're anything like mine then you'll probably need a drill :roll: :wink:

....but if they're anything like the rest of your car there won't be a speck of dirt or rust on them, and they'll come out easily ;-)

To answer your question, though - it may well be possible to peel enough of the liner away to get the plate back just by removing the 2 top M6 (10mm head) bolts, and the 2 rear fittings at the sill (if required)...... then use a magnetic stick to fish for it - it should be quite visible on the chasis leg - that is where it is likely to land..... in fact, you may be able to fish for it through the clamshell/hinge holes as it isn't a huge drop.....
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby TrevorB » Sat 04.02.2017, 17:36

Steve A wrote:
alan e wrote:Hi Trevor

If they're anything like mine then you'll probably need a drill :roll: :wink:

:( It will have to wait now for a week or so as off to Portugal for a short break. Will have to get car out of garage anyway as not enough room to do work in
there so will need some decent weather.

dapinky wrote:
....but if they're anything like the rest of your car there won't be a speck of dirt or rust on them, and they'll come out easily ;-)

:lol: :lol:

dapinky wrote:
To answer your question, though - it may well be possible to peel enough of the liner away to get the plate back just by removing the 2 top M6 (10mm head) bolts, and the 2 rear fittings at the sill (if required)...... then use a magnetic stick to fish for it - it should be quite visible on the chasis leg - that is where it is likely to land..... in fact, you may be able to fish for it through the clamshell/hinge holes as it isn't a huge drop.....

Thanks Dave :cheers:
Silk Red SE Turbo
Short shift conversion
HiSpec's
Piper Exhaust
TrevorB
Wannabe Princess

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Sun 05.02.2017, 07:38

Hi Trev give me a shout, if you want a hand when you get back. :poke:
lotustonybassplayer
Enthusiast

Postby Steve A » Sun 05.02.2017, 19:43

TrevorB wrote:
:( Will have to get car out of garage anyway as not enough room to do work in there, so will need some decent weather.

:roll: I know what you mean Trev, sometimes you need a good run up to get anything done :lol:
I've even added a mirror to make it seem bigger :wink:

Image[/url]]
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby TrevorB » Fri 17.02.2017, 17:21

TrevorB wrote:Ok, I started to fit the gas struts but despite the warning within this post a back plate has dropped presumably behind the wheel arch liner.
A question which I'm probably going to answer myself. Presumably the wheel has to be removed before taken the liner off :?: Not a problem
of course but not removed the liner before.

Thanks as always

Trevor :cheers:

Onsie off and first venture this year out of garage. Can I find this back bracket :?: Wheel off, wheel arch liner released, couldn't find the bracket though :!:
Eventually found on a little ledge within the wheel arch. Anyway to cut a long story short because it did take 4 hours to get everything done with the
assistance of my neighbour. The new gas struts are finally on. The problems were: managing the other side back plate not dropping inside wheel arch and
getting the bonnet aligned as best we could. Still 'Merlot' is looking good and sounding nice considering she's been tucked away. Next project is to get her
looking better for the spring and summer. :wink:

lotustonybassplayer wrote:Hi Trev give me a shout, if you want a hand when you get back. :poke:

Thanks Tony for your offer of help :cheers:

Silk Red SE Turbo
Short shift conversion
HiSpec's
Piper Exhaust
TrevorB
Wannabe Princess

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Fri 17.02.2017, 17:41

:clap: :cheers:
lotustonybassplayer
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Fri 17.02.2017, 19:11

The only problem I can see is that the windscreen washer pipe looks a bit below-par (other than that - it still looks excellent :D )
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby simonbuk » Wed 12.07.2017, 12:39

So basically to complete the fitting if the bonnet struts you have to remove the wheel arch liner - yes ?

Otherwise you won't be able to get the backing plate back on ?

(Currently in garage wondering why there is a clonking sound when I move a bolt too afraid to go any further.....)
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby simonbuk » Wed 12.07.2017, 15:23

Ok in answer to my own question - no you don't have to take the wheel arch liner off. You just have to make sure you have at least one bolt in the backing plate so it doesn't stop !

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 12.07.2017, 15:29

simonbuk wrote:Ok in answer to my own question - no you don't have to take the wheel arch liner off. You just have to make sure you have at least one bolt in the backing plate so it doesn't stop !

so, you did put a backing plate behind ? or are you refering to the plate that is already there ?
im not even sure a plate is already there, will need to double check on my car. luckily (or not) the wheel arch is already out. and on toip of ramps :oops:
1991 elan se ongoing project
1991 elan se blue off road project
1994 celica GT4
1994 4Runner
1998 celica SR (off the road)

Small project
Tuga2112
God

Postby simonbuk » Wed 12.07.2017, 15:35

*stop* - meant *drop* !!

I've put the plates underneath at the minute, the bonnet does sit a little proud at the back so I don't know if I'll change it to on top.

Biggest problem was pushing one of the ball joints on and it wasn't going in, now the clips misshapen so have got to get it out and put it right - just when I'd thought I'd finished !!

simonbuk
God

Postby simonbuk » Wed 12.07.2017, 16:33

Did anybody else have problems with the bonnet hinge and cable afterwards like one chap did ?

Haven't closed mine fully yet but felt a bit tight just putting it on the latch.

simonbuk
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 12.07.2017, 16:47

simonbuk wrote:Did anybody else have problems with the bonnet hinge and cable afterwards like one chap did ?

Haven't closed mine fully yet but felt a bit tight just putting it on the latch.

I havent done this particular mod, and my memory is a bit fiddly, so please take this advice with a pinch of salt.
from experience removing the bonnet for respray that realigning it to the catch after removal may take a few trials. I just put it back like it was and had to redo the bolts about 8 times before it fitted right.

it may be a good idea to undo the upper bumper bolts incase the bonnet doesnt want to open again. (happened to me after the respray)
im not in front of the car. but think you can put a long screwdriver to help it open when the bumper is out. however, my memory may be failing.
1991 elan se ongoing project
1991 elan se blue off road project
1994 celica GT4
1994 4Runner
1998 celica SR (off the road)

Small project
Tuga2112
God

PreviousNext

Return to Group Buys