new rear light covers made. (NO LONGER VIABLE TOO EXPENSIVE)

Start your Group Buy threads here for anything pertaining to the M100

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Re: If you want new rear light covers made... Please raise h

Postby Tuga2112 » Mon 03.11.2014, 11:10

you can add me to the list, but i gotta be honest, 200 euros for a spare part that i (hopefully) may never need seems quite a push for a working class earner. knowing how dificult these are to come by i would be happy to get a spare set but more on tje 70-80 (talking in gbp) quid mark
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby epipete » Mon 03.11.2014, 13:15

Don't worry, even with the best efforts of everyone involved here, you'll be Chairman of the Board before payment is required! :burnout:
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 03.11.2014, 21:00

Actually, nobody should give up yet. The huge problem is the size of the cover and the fact that polycarbonate is hard to mold without bubbles.

The price will be based by dividing the huge cost by the number of buyers - unless someone can find a sugar-daddy that wants to donate the more than ten thousand dollars for the molds.

IF the final cost is around $35,000.00 and there are really 200 buyers out there, then the price per pair would be AROUND $175.00 but that is assuming all 200 people on the list are going to actually buy. The project isn't dead, but Wayne needs to get the manufacturer to quote the final price before he makes any promises. The manufacturer has MY Brand New cover in their hands and are dragging their feet with a qotation since they want to make more than 200 pairs.

Everyone that ie really interested in a PAIR of replacement covers in the range of $200.00 to $300.00 should join the list and anyone that is no longer interested should drop off the list. Postage costs will vary depending on where the covers arrive and where they will be sent. If anyone knows that someone on the list has gotten rid of their car and not likely to visit here anymore, should post that info so the list can be adjusted.

Don't add or subtract directly to the list, post a message and WienLot will update the list for you. There is really no way to get the price for a pair down to 70 - 80 quid without getting another 400 buyers on board and I don't think that this will happen. These are large parts that will cost a lot just to get them shipped to us. They also will occupy a large amount of space waiting to be shipped. Just measure one and figure for a safe amount of separation between sides and picture 200+ boxes that size sitting in your living room. Escutcheons and "B" Post Caps were TINY in comparision and they took up a lot of Waynes home when they arrived...
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Lotus Manuals
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Mon 03.11.2014, 22:39

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Actually, nobody should give up yet. The huge problem is the size of the cover and the fact that polycarbonate is hard to mold without bubbles.

The price will be based by dividing the huge cost by the number of buyers - unless someone can find a sugar-daddy that wants to donate the more than ten thousand dollars for the molds.

IF the final cost is around $35,000.00 and there are really 200 buyers out there, then the price per pair would be AROUND $175.00 but that is assuming all 200 people on the list are going to actually buy. The project isn't dead, but Wayne needs to get the manufacturer to quote the final price before he makes any promises. The manufacturer has MY Brand New cover in their hands and are dragging their feet with a qotation since they want to make more than 200 pairs.

Everyone that ie really interested in a PAIR of replacement covers in the range of $200.00 to $300.00 should join the list and anyone that is no longer interested should drop off the list. Postage costs will vary depending on where the covers arrive and where they will be sent. If anyone knows that someone on the list has gotten rid of their car and not likely to visit here anymore, should post that info so the list can be adjusted.

Don't add or subtract directly to the list, post a message and WienLot will update the list for you. There is really no way to get the price for a pair down to 70 - 80 quid without getting another 400 buyers on board and I don't think that this will happen. These are large parts that will cost a lot just to get them shipped to us. They also will occupy a large amount of space waiting to be shipped. Just measure one and figure for a safe amount of separation between sides and picture 200+ boxes that size sitting in your living room. Escutcheons and "B" Post Caps were TINY in comparision and they took up a lot of Waynes home when they arrived...

we are all talking in different currencies, 174$ is slightly more than 100£ at the latest rate i saw (just now google rates it as 109 pounds)
the previous estimate i saw was 200 to 250 euros, trusty google rates this as 156£ to 195£

i think the goal of this topic is more research than commitment. see if there are enough numbers to justify the investment, i think interest for most of us depends on the cost, some people have bigger budgets than others if a budget is relevant that is a decisive factor to make such kind of investment.
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 03.11.2014, 23:15

Since we will be paying US Dollars $$$ to the manufacturer, we do all the math in USD and convert currency the day payment is to be paid.

The Pound is $1.62 US Dollars right now including bank conversion fees so $200.00 ends up being around £125.00. Google just tells you the BANK's best rate, not the rate they will charge you. PayPal is even worse.

When we get the final FINAL quote from the manufacturer, we will be able to stop using "round" numbers and the price will be fixed based on the cost of manufacture and delivery to Wayne.

You can always just go and get some new lamps from Lotus or Renault... Oh, yeah, you can't they are discontinued and when they were available, were around £500.00 each, so I am sorry if £100.00 to £200.00 is more than they are worth to you but it is simple math. Getting stories about others that have tried to make covers and their prices is useless since those do not exist. Negotiations have been going on for over a year and every time we think we are close, the manufacturer decides they want more money or more volume.

Anyone that wants to take on this project is more than welcome to do so. Just let Wayne know to stop before stepping on his toes.
Lotus Manuals
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby epipete » Mon 03.11.2014, 23:24

Hey Guys no need to be so tetchy, I was merely being light humoured with my comment above.

I understand all the effort that Wayne and John have put into securing the supply of various items (and John should be aware both of my appreciation and admiration in these endeavours). It is a fair observation to note that the value of a £ or $ is dependant on each individual's bank balance though I suspect, for most, the prices being indicated are well within a figure that might be imagined/anticipated

I continue looking forward to enjoying a pair one day.
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 05.11.2014, 03:40

No problems here, Pete. I was just trying to explain that the price would be the total cost divided by the anticipated sales. No profit is being planned or expected.
Lotus Manuals
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby LotusEnthusiast » Tue 20.01.2015, 23:20

I need some of theses so add me on the list if their is one or pm me with details to buy right now.

Thanks Chris
LotusEnthusiast
Tinkerer

Postby philip_sloper » Tue 20.01.2015, 23:58

Please add me too

Phil
philip_sloper
Fanatic

Postby Mr Fixit » Wed 13.05.2015, 16:35

please ad me as well!!
C55 AMG Black
Lotus M100 red
Mr Fixit
Tinkerer

Postby steve291274 » Wed 13.05.2015, 22:44

Put me down for a set.... My Elan is for life, not just for Christmas :-)
steve291274
Tinkerer

Postby Paul Alexander » Fri 15.05.2015, 13:26

steve291274 wrote:Put me down for a set.... My Elan is for life, not just for Christmas :-)

well said. so is mine. :D

i am also interested in a set. if this group buy goes ahead i wiil buy a set.
Paul Alexander
Enthusiast

Postby andpap » Fri 15.05.2015, 20:34

Add me to the list please! :D
andpap

Postby rdodger » Sat 16.05.2015, 21:58

Add me to the list please.
rdodger
Tinkerer

Postby LE422 » Wed 20.05.2015, 14:09

also need some new covers, count me in...
LE422

Postby elanman610 » Sat 23.05.2015, 06:27

The French Renault Alpine owners went ahead with a buy of these lens in small quantities due to a general lack of commitment from people to buy.
The cost of the covers ended up at 560 Euros plus postage.
They are very complicated to make and the cost seemed to spiral but they went ahead anyway and got the covers done that people committed to.
Definitely not a cheap solution though.
elanman610

Postby epipete » Sat 23.05.2015, 09:37

elanman610 wrote:The French Renault Alpine owners went ahead with a buy of these lens in small quantities due to a general lack of commitment from people to buy.

:bonk: I'm inclined to be rude but will restrain myself for now :evil:

Nobody has requested 'commitment' merely interest and although our list is still short of the magic 200 I thought we we looking at a combined 'project'.

Nevertheless, if the French have gone ahead then this must suggest that the tooling is now in place and the final product meets a standard that is acceptable to them so are we able to firm up our needs and approach their supplier direct for quotes?
epipete
God

Postby elanman610 » Sat 23.05.2015, 10:18

I have nothing to do with the French Alpine owners or these lights by the way. I'm just passing on information regarding the fact that they have been made (possibly by a different group to whoever is organising this with you guys?) and the cost. Good luck in getting them.

epipete wrote:
elanman610 wrote:The French Renault Alpine owners went ahead with a buy of these lens in small quantities due to a general lack of commitment from people to buy.

:bonk: I'm inclined to be rude but will restrain myself for now :evil:

Nobody has requested 'commitment' merely interest and although our list is still short of the magic 200 I thought we we looking at a combined 'project'.

Nevertheless, if the French have gone ahead then this must suggest that the tooling is now in place and the final product meets a standard that is acceptable to them so are we able to firm up our needs and approach their supplier direct for quotes?
elanman610

Postby epipete » Sat 23.05.2015, 14:50

elanman610 wrote:I have nothing to do with the French Alpine owners or these lights by the way. I'm just passing on information regarding the fact that they have been made (possibly by a different group to whoever is organising this with you guys?) and the cost. Good luck in getting them.

No, thanks for that. It would be a shame if this had splintered off the original group, on the other hand, either way, if it means some have been produced by whatever process then that is good news.
epipete
God

Postby WienLot » Sat 23.05.2015, 18:22

Hello all,

While it's good to see that some Forum Alpine Renault members ('Phil Tim') have proudly managed to have lights covers made using close to hand-made technologie, I see the need to highlight that the proposed price (560€) is actually an issue for most Alpine owners having so far raised their hand. Ultimately only a small number of Alpine owners have indeed ordered a set, i.e. clearly those absolutely desperate with no other alternative if willing to keep using their car.

That means the list of 'Alpine Renault' canditates to industrial made rear light covers on FAR remains almost unchanged.

So please everyone ... don't give up !

WienLot
Elan SE turbocharged 1991

1) “ If it works, don't fix it ”
2) Never give up...!
WienLot
Sadly departed but never forgotten

PreviousNext

Return to Group Buys