Roll-over Hoops - Who would like to be part of a group buy?

Start your Group Buy threads here for anything pertaining to the M100

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: Roll-over Hoops - Who would like to be part of a group b

Postby Jeemy » Tue 23.04.2013, 00:35

Good news and bad news. Bad news is that I am only interested if the fairings and covers are involved. I know this is extra work for you Rusty but equally it may help others to get on board and bring the overall cost down. I apologise if I was unclear but I thought as this plan included the Kuching drawings that that meant it included the full Kuching pack. I don't have an issue paying for the extra bits but if I am going for this, I want to do it properly.

Good news is for James, I have a £50k/pa account with a courier so I am sure I can sort you out a reasonable rate for air or sea shipping dependent how much of a rush you are in.
T: 0800 084 3084
M: 07391 295 146
Jeemy
God

Postby GoM100Go » Tue 23.04.2013, 06:45

I agree with Jeemy, I want every bit of the hog. :-D Thank you for the research on currier information, it's greatly appreciated. I'am eager to hear progress.

-James
James
2009 Range Rover Sport HSE (Storono grey)
1991 Lotus Élan (Calypso Red)
GoM100Go
Fanatic

Postby paulous » Tue 23.04.2013, 08:48

Having now seen a plethora or rollover hoops in the flesh at Donington, including the full kuching type with revised hood cover and cover over the hoops, I have to say while the Kuching kit does look great if the costs for that are going to be very high I think I'd quite happily consider just the hoops - as long as they had a decent finish on them.

So maybe it's worth getting two sets of costs... one for just the hoops and one for the whole kit (it its not too much trouble that is)
S2 No.285... Then sold it 2014
paulous
Enthusiast

Postby lotos » Wed 24.04.2013, 03:57

I'm moving homes right now so haven't read the whole thread, but always loved the look of the roll hoops with the fairings. What sort of money are we talking about?
lotos
God

Postby theelanman » Wed 24.04.2013, 06:38

theelanman wrote:price at 2009..

Roll hoops - £595
Rear Deck (unpainted) - £325
Fairings - £240

Fitting - £150

so £800 sounds about right what with the price of everything going up...
especially metal....:-)
and production costs
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Fri 26.04.2013, 23:06

I haven't got any pricing info for the fairings and hood cover yet, but the fabricator has told me that the fairings can be made in carbon fibre. He has made them in the past and attached them to the hoops before dispatching and installation. They are in two halves and have to be laminated and bonded together onto the hoop, which is quite involved.

Also, he says that the decks are very involved to make and without the vehicle it can be tricky to fine align the fairings to the deck humps, but if the customer is of a capable sort it can be achieved.

I'm not entirely sure what all this means, but will speak to him in more detail next week.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Tue 07.05.2013, 23:07

I've got some cost information on the fairings and revised deck. For these to be supplied in fibreglass will be about:

Rear deck £300 + P&P
Fairings [PAIR] £200 + P&P

They can be made in carbon fibre at extra cost.

Now for the health warning. The fabricator warns that getting the fairings and revised deck to align is tricky, and normally requires a considerable amount of fettling. He has fitted most of the hoops, fairings and decks, and has found that the dimensions of every Elan varies significantly from every other one. Don't expect the deck or fairing to simply bolt into place.

In the past, the fairings have been moulded around the hoops, but I think that they will now need to be made in two halves and joined together edge-to-edge by whoever is installing them. If anyone wants carbon fibre fairings, they will need to be formed around the hoops to avoid the join. They might not fit very well with the revised deck. You might need to do some reshaping of the deck, building up any areas which don't exactly match the contours of the fairings.

I would be grateful if those of you who are interested in the Full Monty would let me know if you wish to go ahead. We are getting close to 10 people, so hopefully we shall be able to proceed before too long.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Postby theelanman » Wed 08.05.2013, 10:18

Rusty Wishbone wrote:I've got some cost information on the fairings and revised deck. For these to be supplied in fibreglass will be about:

Rear deck £300 + P&P
Fairings [PAIR] £200 + P&P

They can be made in carbon fibre at extra cost.

erm....what is the price for he hoops?....
have gone over this and can only see estimates.....
Ive probably missed it but could you let me know
thanks
G
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Wed 08.05.2013, 21:38

Ah! Yes... the main event. The hoops. I'm still expecting them to come in between £700 and £800. Hopefully, we will keep the cost below £750. The fabricator is currently finalising the price of the tube bender and of the various fixings that will be required. He will assemble a pack of the right fixings to go with each set of hoops. I shall have an update on that in the coming days.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Postby Aoki Magic Pants » Mon 17.06.2013, 14:00

I'd like to express my interest.
Aoki Magic Pants
Enthusiast

Postby Jeemy » Mon 17.06.2013, 15:14

Just while this thread popped up on the active list, to update you as to my status.

I am still interested, but I have bought a set of LGM hoops when they came up, as a bird in the hand and all that.

I'm still keen on the fairings for the car and can obviously change which hoops I fit and sell the LGMs…….but at this stage I would say I'm 75% on this list as I am now spraying the vehicle and although I've bought enough extra paint to cover a new tonneau and fairings, the further down the line I get, the less money I may have and I may end up committed to a particular set of fittings. Just to be upfront with you, as this has been mooted for 3 months now and I am making progress on the car in the meantime.

Basically I wouldn't want to let you down and would be happy to get hoops and fairings instead of just hoops, but this may change if I have to I commit to building surrounds or custom-coating/drilling/otherwise making permanent the hoops I've bought.
Jeemy
God

Postby m100sandra » Mon 17.06.2013, 17:01

Ime tempted, Hoops only......
m100sandra
Fanatic

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Mon 17.06.2013, 21:29

I hope to post news on this project tomorrow. Good news, I expect. The fabricator has now priced it all up, and I need to speak to him to check a few things before I say more.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Tue 25.06.2013, 22:31

OK. Now I have all the information for this project, and here it is:

Costs:
Hoops: £750 plus delivery
Fairings (pair): £200
Rear Deck: £300
Deposit: 40% of total cost

Hoops:
These were designed by motorsport designer and LEC member, Simon Carrier a few years’ ago. While they are designed with the intention of giving the occupants of the car increased protection, it is important to understand that they have undergone no testing. There is no warranty that they meet any particular standard, but they look like they are appropriately strong.
They are made from T45 32mm OD chromoly tubes, and are supplied with a fitting kit containing the necessary fixings, painted in black primer. The tubes will be welded by the same fabricator who made the original set, and who made roll cages for WRC cars a few years ago.
Installation is quite time consuming. When the original set were fitted, they allowed 3 days per car. I can supply a fitting guide to you now – just send me a PM with your email address, and I shall email it to you.

Fairings & Rear Deck:
The fabricator warns that getting the fairings and revised deck to align is tricky, and normally requires a considerable amount of fettling. He has fitted most of the hoops, fairings and decks, and has found that the dimensions of every Elan varies significantly from every other one. Don't expect the deck or fairing to simply bolt into place.
In the past, the fairings have been moulded around the hoops, but I think that they will now need to be made in two halves and joined together edge-to-edge by whoever is installing them. If anyone wants carbon fibre fairings, they will need to be formed around the hoops to avoid the join. Whatever the material of the fairings, they might not fit very well with the revised deck. You should expect to need to do some reshaping of the deck, building up any areas which don't exactly match the contours of the fairings.
Carbon fibre fairings can be supplied at extra cost.

Delivery Timings:
We can place an order once we have commitment (with deposit) for 10 units, since this is the minimum order. The fabricator will then order the tubes, which should be delivered to him in 3-4 weeks. He will then make the 10 units and dispatch within 4-5 weeks, so this totals 7-9 weeks.

Delivery Cost:
The exact cost will depend on the locations of everyone concerned, but I expect it to be about £60 within the UK, more overseas.

Next Steps:
Please let me know if you are ready to commit to buying a set of hoops with/without fairing & rear deck. Once we reach 10, I can collect the deposit and place the order.

I’m sure there is something I have forgotten, so please ask if you have any questions.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Postby theelanman » Wed 26.06.2013, 08:14

Rusty Wishbone wrote:OK. Now I have all the information for this project, and here it is:

Costs:
Hoops: £750 plus delivery
Fairings (pair): £200
Rear Deck: £300
Deposit: 40% of total cost

and fitting?....
theelanman

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Wed 26.06.2013, 08:54

This group buy does not include fitting, only the buying of the hoops. The four fitting options are:

1. Fit them yourself - this is what I shall do;
2. Arrange for paulsmithmk's guy in Milton Keynes to fit them- estimated to be £200;
3. Take your Elan to the Isle of Skye for a few days to get it fitted by the man who fitted most of the original ones. His wife runs a guest house, so why not stay a few days?
4. Find someone local to fit them.

I hope that this clarifies things.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Postby paulsmithmk » Wed 26.06.2013, 13:57

Rusty Wishbone wrote:This group buy does not include fitting, only the buying of the hoops. The four fitting options are:

1. Fit them yourself - this is what I shall do;
2. Arrange for paulsmithmk's guy in Milton Keynes to fit them- estimated to be £200; NO LONGER AN OPTION SORRY
3. Take your Elan to the Isle of Skye for a few days to get it fitted by the man who fitted most of the original ones. His wife runs a guest house, so why not stay a few days?
4. Find someone local to fit them.

I hope that this clarifies things.
S2 Number 640
paulsmithmk
Fanatic

Postby Jeemy » Wed 26.06.2013, 15:02

Its possible I can assist with fitting if its not too complex. I've taken on a workshop and by Monday I'll know how many cars one can fit in with space to work. I'm thinking 2. So I will have somewhere in East Lothian (a nice holiday destination and closer than Skye) where you could bring your Elan and work on it indoors free of charge with access to air tools and ramps (not that these would be needed). I'll advise further once I know.
Jeemy
God

Postby Jeemy » Wed 26.06.2013, 15:06

With regards to my participation in this group buy my position is the same as ever, I would still like fairings and rear deck with the bubble shape, and am happy to do the fettling myself. If this is contingent on buying hoops I will probably buy a set and either sell hoops only onwards or sell my LGM hoops. Once you get close to 10 people I'll give plenty notice of what I am able to do.
Jeemy
God

Postby theelanman » Wed 26.06.2013, 16:23

Jeemy wrote:I would still like fairings and rear deck with the bubble shape, and am happy to do the fettling myself. I will probably buy a set and either sell hoops only onwards or sell my LGM hoops.

IIRC you will need the new hoops to fit the fairings to.....the LGM hoops are a completely different size and shape......
so Im guessing the LGM options will go....... :|
theelanman

PreviousNext

Return to Group Buys