One touch window up/down control

Start your Group Buy threads here for anything pertaining to the M100

Moderators: theelanman, GeoffSmith, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT

Re: One touch window up/down control

Postby Elanlover » Tue 07.07.2015, 20:17

dapinky wrote:All door wiring goes through 2 plugs/sockets behind each dash end - can't say which is which, but it is all there!

Found them (both). They are indeed inside the car, up under the passenger side dash behind the glove box and the other in the foot well near the ECM (Fed car description - UK cars may be similar). Not a huge amount of room to work with but more than for some projects. :-D

There are 2 harnesses that run to the door. A large rectangular one with what looks like to be 11 pins and a smaller square-ish one with 5 pins. Its the smaller one we want with a slate/green wire (window up) and slate/purple wire (window down).
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby Elanlover » Sun 12.07.2015, 18:37

A few more updates:

In the original design, the module was able to sense which door was opened/unlocked and only commence the "reseal" function for that door. That won't be possible with this new device and the reseal feature will operate on both doors regardless of which one was opened. I say that its not possible but technically it is. By using 2 of these modules we can control each window separately which will, of course, nearly double the cost of the project. So, does anyone feel strongly about the need to have both windows controlled independently for the reseal function?
Elanlover

Postby Elanlover » Mon 13.07.2015, 12:41

Soooo.............................lots of interest still then????????????

:roll:
Elanlover

Postby tb10 » Mon 13.07.2015, 14:26

Sorry - I'm reading the posts with interest so - Yep - would like three modules if possible and I'm not overly fussed about the single window drop (but it would be good) the possibility regarding the potential of no leaks is great!

regards

John
Last edited by tb10 on Mon 13.07.2015, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
tb10
Fanatic

Postby Saltire » Mon 13.07.2015, 22:45

Elanlover wrote:Soooo.............................lots of interest still then????????????

:roll:

Likewise, hoping for good news soon. I have been experimenting with a couple of Ford one-touch window relays, but would prefer a more tailored solution, esp. if it included the window drop on open door.

Keep up the good work :D
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG/LRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
Fanatic

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby Fetnas » Thu 30.07.2015, 12:33

Great progress on this one.

Personally I'm not fussed if both windows reseal when one door is opened, the resealing is just what I'm looking for.
Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway
Fetnas
Enthusiast

Postby Jeemy » Tue 25.08.2015, 16:24

Still very interested.
T: 0800 084 3084
M: 07391 295 146
Jeemy
God

Postby Scott » Tue 05.04.2016, 22:06

I want these too...
1998 BMW 316 E36 Coupe
2001 Volvo S40 1.6
1991 Lotus Elan M100 Turbo
2004 Ducati Monster 620ie

''L.O.T.U.S - Let OThers UnderSteering''
Scott
Enthusiast

Postby Rice crispy » Mon 11.04.2016, 22:03

The guy who was using my car as a test bed hasn't been in touch since last year so I assume it's going to take a while
Rice crispy
God

Postby Elanlover » Sun 25.02.2018, 19:29

Well, after this project completely going off the rails due to the designer deciding he didn't really want to work on it anymore I may have come up with something that could work and is mostly off the shelf. The Directed 535T Window Module like this one on ebay will do not everything but a lot of what was in the original spec. The original spec is below:

WINDOW OPERATION
1) window controls will work for 120 seconds after the ignition is turned off (gives time to put roof up, remove packages from car, etc.)
2) tapping for 1/4 second or less provides automatic full up/down operation depending on which direction you've indicated
3) holding for more than 1/4 second gives you the manual control that we all have now
4) a double tap on the down direction driver's side switch (within half a second or so) gives you the "re-seal" function - see below for reseal function details
5) the reseal function will also operate automatically - see below for reseal function details
6) windows wind all the way up when doors are locked (a micro switch on module will disable this)
7) windows drop an inch or so when unlocked for easier door opening over the seals (and possibly new seals with a different profile).
8 ) the module will contain a programming port so that additional features can be added in the future (likely by the designer and not you or me).
9) the module will have a master switch to disable it and return window operation to normal for servicing the windows if desired

WINDOW RESEAL LOGIC
1) The manual reseal is triggered through a double tap (within half a second) of the driver’s side switch (right or left depending if its RHD or LHD) in the down direction. The manual trigger is one step in that it drops for half a second then immediately winds all the way up. It doesn’t affect the automatic reseal function. This action will only occur when the door is closed.
2) The automatic reseal action is essentially two distinct steps triggered by door open/door unlock and door close/door lock.
3) The first step is triggered by either a door open or door unlock action and immediately drops the window for half a second and leaves it in that position.
4) The module will sense the current state of the window action and “know” that if the door is unlocked then opened it doesn’t need to drop it again.
5) If the window has been dropped due to the first step of the reseal action then, and only then will it be ready to activate the second step. In other words, if you drop the window manually (some car alarms have this feature on a button on the fob) or had left the window down when you exited the car there is no need to either drop the window when we unlock or open the door or run the second step (roll up).
6) If the module is in a “ready state” for the second step of the automatic reseal function then when the door is closed or locked the windows roll all the way up AFTER a 2.5 second delay. This will be important because the locking system has a failsafe that needs to be factored in. If you try to lock the door while its open it will automatically unlock itself after 2 seconds. So, its possible to “lock” the door while its open then have the system unlock itself. We need to wait until this cycle completes before winding up the windows or the windows will wind up (because the door locked) then drop again (because the system unlocked the doors).
7) Hitting the window switch at any time while the module is activating the automatic reseal function cancels the cycle and provides manual window control.
8 ) There is another “function” that is different but related to the automatic reseal function. This function winds the windows all the way up when the door is locked. This is important to consider because someone may cancel the automatic reseal (through a fob button let’s say) or the windows may be part way down to begin with but we still need to run windows all the way up function when its locked. This will be an "optional" feature enable through a switch on the module.

The 535T's programmable features include:

1) Auto up/down (one touch) with interrupt (you tap the switch again and the window stops)
2) Windows will roll up completely when the alarm is activated (or, if you prefer, will only roll up if the alarm is triggered)
3) "Venting" featured that is triggered by an input which could be door unlock or door open as preferred (windows crack open then close after 2 seconds)
4) Most features are user programmable and can be highly customized if you're an electronics enthusiast (or know a guy who does alarms, etc.)

Here's what it won't do:

1) No manual reseal function (unless you consider cracking the door open again acceptable)
2) No ability to manually control the window - it's auto up or down until you tap the switch again
3) No window operation for 120 seconds after the ignition is turned off (windows work like they do now)
4) No programmable port or master switch to disable it
5) No sensing of the "state" of the window (up or slightly open) before triggering a vent action
6) No two second delay before the windows go up in the event that the door wasn't closed and the car unlocks itself

Personally, I'm not worried about the things it won't do from the original spec. Partly because I like the idea of an off the shelf component that can be replaced if it goes bad and partly because a few of the things it won't do can actually be done if you hire someone to install it or know what you're doing (like the manual reseal, 120 seconds of window operation after ignition is off, etc.). Although you could get away with using one unit I think I'll use two - one for each side. That way the venting feature will be side dependant (no need to vent the passenger side if only the driver's door opens). Also, I think each unit only handles 20 amps which is what one window motor draws. I'll be working on this in the spring but I have a test unit now with two more ordered. There is one thing I could use some help with though.

I have always tried to make every modification I do completely reversible and I'd like to do the same here. To do so, I need to source the connector plugs used in the wiring harness to the doors. These are white, 5 pin connectors. Does anyone have an idea who makes them (I could not find any markings on mine)? Thanks!
Attachments
535T_english.pdf
(850.71 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Elanlover

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 25.02.2018, 20:00

Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - Sorry, currently unavailable.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Elanlover » Sun 25.02.2018, 20:56

Thanks Geoff. I looked at the Mouser listings and saw nothing that would match. Went to the websites of those three manufacturers and also got nothing. It looks like a Delphi product based on the pin shape but perhaps now obsolete? One option would be to remove the pins and insert them into new connectors that are readily available which I may do since that's a pretty cheap way to go. However there's one thing that's puzzling me. When I looked at the plug it seems to have only 4 pins used yet the schematics would indicate 5 wires should be there. Two for the window motor, one each for the CDL switch and door ajar switch PLUS a shared ground for those last two. The one that's missing is the black ground wire. Any thoughts?
Elanlover

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 25.02.2018, 21:26

Yep!

Pins B1 & B3 go to the window motor
Pins B2 & B4 go to the CDL motor
The 12 pin connector A is used for grounds rather than than connector B as far as I can see.
Calypso Red S2 #417

GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Elanlover » Sun 25.02.2018, 21:52

I couldn't see the "A" connector (only the "B" connector) so I'll take another look. That ground wire might be useful as the trigger for the venting feature (door ajar and/or door lock signal).
Elanlover

Postby Elanlover » Sun 25.02.2018, 21:58

Update:

Found it. Right beside the B connector. Pretty hard to miss actually. What through me off was that the wiring diagrams seem to indicate only four wires are used but that connector is chock full of wires. Also says "Rists" right on it so I've done a search for 5 pin Rists connectors and may have found it.
Elanlover

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 25.02.2018, 22:17

Lucas catalogue?
Calypso Red S2 #417

GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Elanlover » Sun 25.02.2018, 22:24

It would appear they are Lucas Rists connectors alright. Now obsolete but I may have found a source. Seems they have them in white (like stock colour), blue, black and red. I'll order a few and see if they fit. I ordered blue just to differentiate from the stock colour.
Elanlover

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 26.02.2018, 03:39

HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Previous

Return to Group Buys