One touch window up/down control

Start your Group Buy threads here for anything pertaining to the M100

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Re: One touch window up/down control

Postby Elanlover » Mon 23.12.2013, 22:22

FYI - whatever the price ends up being in this initial run (85 GBP or less) the cost to have a single one made up for you after the initial run will undoubtedly be more.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby lotos » Mon 23.12.2013, 22:26

1) Elanlover
2) DaveB - love it... Would consider item 2 in your 'considerations' a bonus too!
3) Pinky (can't see the problem with item 1 - just wire it up for us English owners!!!!) - in all reality, the 'extras' matter not to me either way.
4) Epipete
5) PDH - Item 6 would be the most useful for me as it may then lead as said to some different profile of seal being used, with better sealing qualities and maybe lasting longer.
6)Avonvilla
7)Novacaine
8 )Fetnas
9) Jeemy
10)KevB
11) Cliff - My Alfa GT has the auto drop, works really well. Happy to send diagrams if they are any help.
12) lotos (Randy) - assuming the instructions are simple enough for a dimwitted moron such as myself to install, I'm in!
lotos
God

Postby novacaine » Mon 23.12.2013, 23:15

1) Elanlover
2) DaveB - love it... Would consider item 2 in your 'considerations' a bonus too!
3) Pinky (can't see the problem with item 1 - just wire it up for us English owners!!!!) - in all reality, the 'extras' matter not to me either way.
4) Epipete
5) PDH - Item 6 would be the most useful for me as it may then lead as said to some different profile of seal being used, with better sealing qualities and maybe lasting longer.
6)Avonvilla
7)Novacaine
8 )Fetnas
9) Jeemy
10)KevB
11) Cliff - My Alfa GT has the auto drop, works really well. Happy to send diagrams if they are any help.
12) lotos (Randy) - assuming the instructions are simple enough for a dimwitted moron such as myself to install, I'm in!
13) Novacaine- I'm not great with electrics but I'll give it a go

1994 Lotus Elan S2 #170 (Steel Blue)
novacaine
Fanatic

Postby Elanlover » Mon 23.12.2013, 23:21

novacaine wrote:1) Elanlover
4) Epipete
6)Avonvilla
7)Novacaine
8 )Fetnas
9) Jeemy
10)KevB
13) Novacaine- I'm not great with electrics but I'll give it a go

Pretty sure you don't want two (but let me know if you do) so I'm taking your #13 claim off the list since you are already have #7.

1) Elanlover
4) Epipete
6)Avonvilla
7)Novacaine
8 )Fetnas
9) Jeemy
10)KevB
13)
14)
15)
16)
Elanlover

Postby stevebow » Tue 07.01.2014, 23:34

1) Elanlover
4) Epipete
6)Avonvilla
7)Novacaine
8 )Fetnas
9) Jeemy
10)KevB
13) stevebow - as Lotos said I'm in if the instructions are for a dimwit
14)
15)
16)
stevebow

Postby Elanlover » Wed 08.01.2014, 01:06

I can assure you that the instructions will be detailed, well written and include pictures. That's because I will need to follow them :shock:
Elanlover

Postby Elanlover » Wed 15.01.2014, 18:20

Ok folks, we are nearing completion of the programming and board design for this item which is good news. I don't have a timeframe yet for when a prototype will be available for testing but do recall that we will need at least 1 SE and 1 S2 owner to test it out. Additionally, a couple of questions have come up.

You will note from the list of features above that an auto-reseal function will be included that will drop the windows a bit when the door is opened and then close them when the door(s) is closed. This is to take the stress off the existing seals and (hopefully) extend their life but will also accommodate a different profile for seals should they become available. The intent was to have the "drop" process start whenever the door is opened OR unlocked. The close process would start when the door was closed OR locked.

The "new" thinking is that we might be able to eliminate the "door unlock" trigger from the system and have it drop only when a door opens. Frankly, I don't recall why we added the "door unlocked" trigger but I see some advantages to having it open only when the door opens. Like when its raining and you have to walk to the car - why drop the windows until you open the door? Or, if you unlock the door but don't actually get in the car (accidental button press on the fob, you change your mind, etc.) why do you want the windows down for 2 minutes? If someone can provide a good reason why the door unlocked trigger should remain please post it otherwise we might remove it for simplicity 's sake.

The second thing is this. Does anyone have a setup on their car where the windows roll up (or down) automatically? This can be through the alarm system, door locks or something else. I seem to recall someone saying they did but if I could get some verification that'd be great. Thanks!
Elanlover

Postby dapinky » Wed 15.01.2014, 18:27

Blair,

That was the one feature I did actually want :( .

The reasoning being that it would allow the use of an alternative seal system (mainly on the hard top, but possibly on the soft top aswell) whereby the window goes up into a U shaped seal.

If the window doesn't drop until the door is opened, any such seal system wouldn't work because the door won't open past the seal with the window up...... hence dropping when i press the 'unlock' button on the fob, allowing the door to open.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Elanlover » Wed 15.01.2014, 18:34

Well then, in it goes!
Elanlover

Postby dapinky » Wed 15.01.2014, 18:38

Elanlover wrote:Well then, in it goes!

If no-one else can see the advantage, and it's going to be a significant cost/hassle factor, then I'll live without it (but I'd quite like to have it!).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Elanlover » Wed 15.01.2014, 21:15

I see the advantage but I see it as "slightly better" than it working when the door opens.

Yes, if it works when the locks are unlocked then there's likely to be certainty that the windows are down when the doors open. The down side is that if you unlock the doors 50 feet away and its raining there's likely to be some water that gets in the car. Or, if you unlock them then don't go to the car, for reasons stated above, then the windows will be down until the car automatically relocks itself - provided your alarm system does that (some do and some don't).

With having it run only when the door opens the downside is that the windows don't drop until the door cracks open. So, the seal at the rear of the window will rub but likely not all the seal as the window will drop fast enough so that the majority of the seal will clear the glass even if you open the door quite fast.

Having said all that if there's a way to do this with a switch on the module that doesn't add significant cost allowing you to select whether the trigger for the reseal is the door opening or the locks then that would be ideal.
Elanlover

Postby dapinky » Wed 15.01.2014, 22:50

Elanlover wrote:Having said all that if there's a way to do this with a switch on the module that doesn't add significant cost allowing you to select whether the trigger for the reseal is the door opening or the locks then that would be ideal.

I agree.
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby cliff » Thu 16.01.2014, 03:43

Elanlover wrote:The second thing is this. Does anyone have a setup on their car where the windows roll up (or down) automatically? This can be through the alarm system, door locks or something else. I seem to recall someone saying they did but if I could get some verification that'd be great. Thanks!

My Alfa has this feature, if you hold the remote unlock button for a second, the windows roll down. Same when you lock the car, windows will go up. The windows also have auto drop when the door handle is operated, they go back up when the door is closed. I will find some diagrams when I get home later.
91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo
Alfa Romeo 159

If you can't be a good example, then you might as well be a terrible warning
cliff
God

Postby tb10 » Thu 16.01.2014, 13:53

AKA Dragon's Den style:

I'm In :lol:

regards

John

1) Elanlover
4) Epipete
6)Avonvilla
7)Novacaine
8 )Fetnas
9) Jeemy
10)KevB
13) stevebow - as Lotos said I'm in if the instructions are for a dimwit
14) TB10
15) TB10
16) TB10
tb10
Fanatic

Postby cliff » Thu 16.01.2014, 15:14

I have sent Elanlover a mail with the diagrams for the GT & GTV attached, they do use modules for window control.

PKR on the Alfa Owner forum has written a very detailed guide to fitting Autodrop on early Spiders & GTVs. While not totally relevant, he does go into detail about fitting microswitches to control the drop as well as quite a few useful part numbers. Many thanks to PKR.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motoring ... y-way.html

Also found these.

http://abacuscaralarms.co.uk/alarmshop/ ... oductId=37

http://abacuscaralarms.co.uk/alarmshop/ ... oductId=36

Apologies for being a bit late with this info, hope it helps.
91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo
Alfa Romeo 159

cliff
God

Postby Elanlover » Thu 16.01.2014, 19:30

cliff wrote:I have sent Elanlover a mail with the diagrams for the GT & GTV attached, they do use modules for window control.

PKR on the Alfa Owner forum has written a very detailed guide to fitting Autodrop on early Spiders & GTVs. While not totally relevant, he does go into detail about fitting microswitches to control the drop as well as quite a few useful part numbers. Many thanks to PKR.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motoring ... y-way.html

Also found these.

http://abacuscaralarms.co.uk/alarmshop/ ... oductId=37

http://abacuscaralarms.co.uk/alarmshop/ ... oductId=36

Apologies for being a bit late with this info, hope it helps.

I probably should have been more specific. What I meant was does anyone have this on their Elan. If they do it may require some additional wiring/modifications as operating the windows through the key fob "might" cause the module to get confused depending on the wiring. This module will not be adding a window control to an existing key fob. There's way too many variables at play to do that within this project. Don't forget that auto up/down through the standard window switch will be a part of this project. If your aftermarket alarm also runs the windows it "may" work as well.
Elanlover

Postby cliff » Thu 16.01.2014, 22:54

Well that told me. :oops:

Guess I will keep my nose out in future.
91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo
Alfa Romeo 159

cliff
God

Postby Jeemy » Thu 16.01.2014, 23:53

Will this mod require anything done inside the doors?
T: 0800 084 3084
M: 07391 295 146
Jeemy
God

Postby Elanlover » Fri 17.01.2014, 00:28

cliff wrote:Well that told me. :oops:

Guess I will keep my nose out in future.

You should stick your nose in as often as you like. :-D Most of the features in this little module are from LEC members and this thread is as much for ideas and suggestions as anything else. :clap:

Jeemy wrote:Will this mod require anything done inside the doors?

Not at the present and there's no reason (yet) to think it will require opening up the doors to get access to wiring. All the required wiring to be tapped into should be accessible in the foot wells, or as it comes out of the doors.
Elanlover

Postby stevebow » Sun 19.01.2014, 00:18

Not exactly automatic but My elan has the ability to wind up the windows from the alarm fob if I press and hold one of the buttons for a couple of seconds, it's a toad alarm I can dig out the model number if it helps.
stevebow

PreviousNext

Return to Group Buys