Windscreen Corner Trim Blocks - 3D printing

Start your Group Buy threads here for anything pertaining to the M100

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Re: Windscreen Corner Trim Blocks - 3D printing

Postby lotos » Fri 16.05.2014, 22:14

The Makerbot scanner is indeed lower resolution, hence it's bargain price. Still, it's not useless and for a simple part might be just fine. Plus you can clean up any issues with the software after scanning. I found this to be pretty darned good considering the complexity of the figurine they scanned and printed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYq5n7jw ... be&t=3m24s

I found another trove of locations that also might be nearby you for this or any future project: http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/North_Carolina

But I trust you know what you are doing, I was merely trying to provide help or alternatives.
lotos
God

Postby paulg » Mon 17.08.2015, 09:17

HI
Both my M100 seals from front, top, A-pillar, door in fact everywhere, leak profusely, any ideas on how i can get them replaced would be welcome

also at rear of hood where it sits on the body one hood is shot
paulg

Postby superbad » Tue 18.08.2015, 04:53

Seeing this post reminds me that I have a new windscreen corner block sitting on my desk that Wayne sent me ages ago to 3D model and attempt to 3D print. It's a relatively simple part, doesn't need scanning or anything. The last year and a half has been crazy busy, so I haven't done it, but I will do. I can test print it here in ABS, but nylon from Shapeways is probably the best option for appearance.
superbad
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 18.08.2015, 12:37

I had some drawn up and printed last year but there is no option for a gloss or semi-gloss surface finish. Shapeways started off printing them in ABS but that won't stand up to heat or UV so went to Nylon (Strong and Flexible) and every way they tried, they are stair-stepped and still matte. There is no smoothing options for the nylon like using acetone to smooth the ABS parts.

DeanG got a set from me earlier this year and I think he used them when he had his windscreen replaced. I know they fit correctly but he never told me if they worked out or not.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby CalElan » Tue 18.08.2015, 21:42

I'd take a pair from you BCN..
CalElan
Enthusiast

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 18.08.2015, 22:17

I know you asked earlier, but I don't like what I got, so I assume nobody will like them. Maybe Dean will jump in and give his opinion.

I will take some pictures of the different versions but ALL of them are FLAT black, not semi-gloss like the side and top moldings.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby CalElan » Tue 18.08.2015, 22:57

Well currently I have nothing there.. just a sort of mitred joint on the top and side seals.

Is it possible they could be primed and sprayed with a satin black finish?
I'm happy to experiment and report back
CalElan
Enthusiast

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 18.08.2015, 23:11

No, I tried that. They are nylon and don't sand well. When you make progress, you end up with more uneven levels as they are printing "rows" side by side and they don't "blend"

I will try to get some pictures and post them.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby superbad » Wed 19.08.2015, 15:37

Did you try polished nylon at Shapeways? I just had some parts done in that, it's quite smooth. Hitting it after with some paint might work out. Another option might be doing it on a SLA machine- you'll get very smooth continuous parts that could be sanded and painted.
superbad
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 19.08.2015, 17:29

Shapeways doesn't offer polished BLACK and the early polished white I tried was still too grainy.

I haven't tried SLA yet. Any suggestions of someone that doesn't charge high and has a minimum order requirement?
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby 1kenobitoby » Sun 09.10.2016, 23:50

I've put a reproduction on Shapeways (http://shpws.me/MMJC). They are US$7 each plus P&P.
There's an accompanying YouTube video showing them on the car at: https://youtu.be/KXFY-cT7HfE
As John says, the finish as supplied is a slightly granular matt. If you want to match the smooth semi-gloss of the original the easiest thing would be to spray it with several coats of high build primer, sand that smooth and top coat it in a black satin. But watch the video, you may agree it looks better as supplied in matt.
Best wishes,
Toby
1kenobitoby
3DprintGuru

Previous

Return to Group Buys