any interest for copper grease 500g tubs ?

Start your Group Buy threads here for anything pertaining to the M100

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

any interest for copper grease 500g tubs ?

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 11.06.2016, 03:54

recently decided I needed more copper grease to start using it in every single screw and bolt i come across.
Decided to check costs of larger quantity prices and came across this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-x-500-g-Tu ... SwyQtVmrrv

From my use of grease in the past, 500g will probably/definitely last for more than the lifetime of elan ownership (unless your fiddling with your elan as often as pinky does :poke: )

Its ends up being slightly less than £2.20 per 500g tub (compared to prices like £1.50 per 70g)
I have checked an estimate on royal mail for posting this, excluding cost of envelope/box if it fits a large letter envelope its ~1.70 if its needs a small package its over £3
therefore if you want me to post it your probably not saving any money in it.

however ill be at brands hatchas well as The LEC International M100 Weekend - 9~11 Sept 2016
so we can cut on postage costs if others are joining these events and get a bargain (or if the bollecks crew volunteers to do some postman work)

I want to see if there are enough people interested in these large tubs (8 or more) to make it a group buy, or if i would simply stick to buying a single tub for myself.

I don't expect a lot (if any) of people interested in this BUT if by any chance there's enough people interested that will require to order 24 tubs. the difference in savings will be donated to LEC

is anyone interested ?
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Re: any interest for copper grease 500g tubs ?

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 11.06.2016, 11:26

Got a 100g tube in my toolbox that's been there years and probably still has over 80g left. I do find squeezing it out of a tube better than getting it from a tub as it's messy stuff!
Think the convenience is worth a slightly higher expense - www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COPPER-EASE-ANTI-SEIZE-BRAKE-SQUEAL-COPPER-GREASE-100G-TUB-TRIPLE-QX-526770120-/131586998900
Mine is actually Comma Copper Ease but they're all very similar when you read the Data Sheet ... :D
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Tuga2112 » Tue 14.06.2016, 19:31

Phill,
Understand your point of view.

As mentioned, i suspect very few, if any, to be interested in this, however because i have a major job pending on my daily driver (clutch) and recent project on my Celica GT4. adding up all the perks of elan ownership and joy of tinkering... I am swapping a lot of bolts also, can name quite a few in the past that I should have greased with copper in order to avoid the same difficulties again.

Didn't think a tub would be difficult to use because.
I'm thinking of can partially dip bolts on it sideways at a slight angle, at far as im aware copper grease is has no issues with contaminants usually found in bolts (you use it, you always get them anyways) and is definitely not a Bio product so assuming (correct me if im wrong) its shelf live to be longer than the lifespan of its owner.
And... If I have a generous amount of if available, I will remember to use it at every chance, which hopefully will pay off in the long term. :D

also, its just one of those things that you never know, its a very common consumable for people tinkering with their cars, so you never know what kind of response you may get.
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby dapinky » Tue 14.06.2016, 19:45

I bought a tub that size about 30 years ago - still got about 75% of it left!

It does have a long shelf life as long as it's kept airtight.

I find the best way to apply it (other than dipping a finger in and smearing it) is to use a 10ml syringe - that way you can keep it handy, and not have to keep carrying a big tub off the storage shelf.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Tuga2112 » Tue 14.06.2016, 20:37

dapinky wrote:I bought a tub that size about 30 years ago - still got about 75% of it left!

sounds like a lifetime investment :lol:
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Return to Group Buys