Hoops

Start your Group Buy threads here for anything pertaining to the M100

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Re: Hoops

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Sat 25.01.2020, 23:47

I spoke to the Second Man, Andy, a few years' ago. He really knows what he is doing. In a previous job, he welded roll cages into Ford's World Rally cars, and he fitted many of the hoops that are installed in our cars the first time around. And a really nice guy too.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Postby NewLogik » Mon 24.02.2020, 19:05

There was no plans or anything shared from previous versions ? Any close ups pictures on mounting points ?
NewLogik
Enthusiast

Postby DavidS2 » Wed 08.04.2020, 11:48

Hi there - Just had a questions re the hoops, or more specifically the fiberglass panel changes behind the hoops in the attached image. Was this originally a Lotus design to change that panel, and would anyone know the dimensions of this ? Many thanks in advance ...Dave
Attachments
lotus bubble.jpg
lotus bubble.jpg (38.88 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
Cheers .. David

Current: 1994 Elan S2 (131)
Past: 1995 Elan S2 (378)
DavidS2

Postby Rambo » Wed 08.04.2020, 12:58

This was not an original Lotus design. It was, however, designed by Simon Carrier (Kuching) one of our very clever M100 members. Simon, who is a motorsport chief design engineer also developed and designed the SC roll hoops and the SC hard top

Sorry, I don't know the dimensions of the bubble deck
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 08.04.2020, 13:12

Except those ones are LGM's.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Rambo » Wed 08.04.2020, 13:12

You might be interested to know a bit more about Simon's extensive motorsport career....

Simon Carrier’s experience in motorsport design was founded on first hand experience of both track driving and rally navigation. An opportunity with Lola Cars to advance the aerodynamic development of the Nissan R90C Le-Mans Sports Prototype car proved to be an excellent grounding to an ongoing professional career. Similar positions with Formula 1 teams Larrousse and Team Lotus furthered his reputation for producing dependable results.

Following this, Simon advanced an interest in chassis and structure design, producing Super Touring race cars for Nissan and Ford.

Prodrive then seconded him as Principal Designer for the new Subaru Impreza World Rally Car, culminating in Richard Burns’ championship title in 2001.

After another contribution to Le Mans success with Reynard’s 02S Prototype Sports Car, Simon was to take over as Chief designer of Ford’s Focus World Rally Car, leading to world championship titles in 2006 and 2007.

Simon then set up the independent consultancy, SPC Design, completing numerous projects for automotive and motorsport manufacturers over a 15 year period. This led on to his appointment as Chief Designer of the Toyota Yaris World Rally Car which has already won two world titles in its first three years of competition, and looks destined for continued success.
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Rambo » Wed 08.04.2020, 13:13

GeoffSmith wrote:Except those ones are LGM's.

Oh yes. Well spotted Geoff :oops:

LGM = Lotus Girl Marie
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby HJ2 » Wed 08.04.2020, 14:01

GeoffSmith wrote:Except those ones are LGM's.

... :chair: :cheers:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby abmunro » Wed 08.04.2020, 20:48

Rambo wrote:This was not an original Lotus design. It was, however, designed by Simon Carrier (Kuching) one of our very clever M100 members. Simon, who is a motorsport chief design engineer also developed and designed the SC roll hoops and the SC hard top

Sorry, I don't know the dimensions of the bubble deck

These are def not Simon's, his are like ones on my car, I asked him to design and make Roll Hoops, I also asked him to design roll hoop fairings so I could mount a speaker behind seat that I would be able to hear when moving. I never ever fitted one. Also I asked him to make Bubbles a bit like Porsche Speedster.

He came up with everything that fitted to my car. I was extremely happy with what he produced.
91 Elan SE 24k miles, 270 BHP @ 1.25 barg. Roll hoops + fairings+ speed humps Elise lights. S2 alloys. Nitrons& Eibachs,AP's front & Hi Spec rear brakes
abmunro
God

Postby clemo » Thu 09.04.2020, 21:27

Had an amazing chat with Simon @SPC's carbon fiber partner and hoop fabricator Andy for almost 4 hours.
Both of them have had amazing interesting lifestyles in motorsport. Working with Colin McRae , Richard Burns , Carlos Sainz ,Tommy Makkinen and many others.
Hired by the decent and great people in motorsport and ground down by the over pressured system by few but with all the amazing jet setting stuff that wowed me. Something they gave everything to.

Considering the first time i spoke to him he hated the idea of anything to do with us , 2nd time slightly better and even today when i said hello Andy its Dave here with the elan , he replied "oh god". To which i laughed and said i thought you might say that ..... 4 hours later i had to finish as my dinner was ready.

A genuinely decent guy who takes absolute pride in his work. I was going to post this in "things that made you smile today" as it really did. For once we had a chance to chat without any time constraints. I look forward to being able to work with him one day. I feel i got a really good understanding of him today. It would be good to meet more people like Andy.
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby NewLogik » Fri 10.04.2020, 15:10

clemo wrote:Had an amazing chat with Simon @SPC's carbon fiber partner and hoop fabricator Andy for almost 4 hours.
Both of them have had amazing interesting lifestyles in motorsport. Working with Colin McRae , Richard Burns , Carlos Sainz ,Tommy Makkinen and many others.
Hired by the decent and great people in motorsport and ground down by the over pressured system by few but with all the amazing jet setting stuff that wowed me. Something they gave everything to.

Considering the first time i spoke to him he hated the idea of anything to do with us , 2nd time slightly better and even today when i said hello Andy its Dave here with the elan , he replied "oh god". To which i laughed and said i thought you might say that ..... 4 hours later i had to finish as my dinner was ready.

A genuinely decent guy who takes absolute pride in his work. I was going to post this in "things that made you smile today" as it really did. For once we had a chance to chat without any time constraints. I look forward to being able to work with him one day. I feel i got a really good understanding of him today. It would be good to meet more people like Andy.

That was interesting to read, thanks for sharing with us, he seems really nice to speak with !
Last edited by NewLogik on Mon 13.04.2020, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.
NewLogik
Enthusiast

Postby clemo » Fri 10.04.2020, 20:19

Timing is everything.
Can't believe I spoke with Andy yesterday and today hoops and deck have turned up for sale
This could be the push through needed. Though will have to work out which version it is as instalation has 3 different variations. Which I have the paperwork for. Hope its a mk2
Though there was a mk1 which is OK, but the mk1 +/- is not the best.
Watch this space
All for the greater Good.(hotfuzz)
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby HJ2 » Fri 10.04.2020, 20:40

2x great news then!
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby clemo » Fri 10.04.2020, 20:47

Yes. Well
Andy is carbon fiber mad so the deck should be an easy thing for him. So when I mentioned it he was enthusiastic. The hoops are a very intricate piece of engineering as is the installation. If we manage to buy this to help push this forward we need to understand which version we are looking at. As Instalation must have a very specific guide as it requires precision cutting which is permanent. But is luck would have it Andy is the man so a and Simon gave us all the cad dimensions and fitting diagram. However 12 years later it is always helpful to have a finished article look at. And should Andy not be able to service our requirements then at least I can take it somwhere else and say.... See that. There are the drawings. Please replicate.
Though I wish to stress and make very apparent. I wish this project to do full circle and go back to the original fabricator and give this the recognition to the original designers it deserves.
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby Rambo » Sat 11.04.2020, 08:52

Does Andy still live on Skye ?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby clemo » Sat 11.04.2020, 09:03

Rambo wrote:Does Andy still live on Skye ?

Nope. He's back up your neck of the woods now.
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby elanik » Sat 11.04.2020, 09:59

Hi
If this is still running I’m very interested.
1990 Elan SE
Green Half leather, S2 wheels, Wilwood brakes, BBR
Fwd supercar
elanik

Postby clemo » Sat 11.04.2020, 13:03

elanik wrote:Hi
If this is still running I’m very interested.

Hi elanik
Yes this is still running . All be it at a rather slow pace but if you read back the thread you will understand why.
Pop your name on the list and we will keep you all informed on here as to the progress.
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby clemo » Mon 13.04.2020, 15:15

Good afternoon all .

Some of the keener eyed may have noticed and Pm'd me regarding the recent sale of Hoops by Atkofamily / Alan on here and Ebay.

Firstly i would like to thank those who did bid and then stepped back and also those who offered to help forward this LEC project.
I spoke with Alan and he is a thoroughly decent bloke. Alan took a price reduction of what he had been offered in order for this to come to LEC. Between Alan and i we will swap trim parts and i will take photos of what needs to be trimmed.

John W kindly kick started the difficult part of the jigsaw by collecting the jig from the Isle of Skye and still has the jig stored up for us. For which i am very grateful for.
Fortunately our lines of communication with Andy ( The original fabricator of the SPC designs hoop) are hopefully getting to a point that we can return Andy's Jig to him . Though his calendar is still heavily booked.
Pinky and I travelled up in his T5 and collected mould parts from SPC Simon prior to his departure and they are stored up with Pinky in his plush garage.
And now we have an actual finished article via Alan to work along with cut body trim which is in Nottingham.

We have many parts of the jigsaw puzzle now. From what was just an idea a while ago to try to revive an old project to where we are now, we have come on leaps and bounds. Though i understand it may seem like very little has happened plenty has.

One thing i must stress to all , as this became apparent recently when Alan advertised his set as a "roll cage". It is that when these become passed on down the line over the years that the title can get slightly changed. Not intentionally but the narrative changes in a huge and significant way. This project has been passed over to LEC with the blessing of SPC but it must be stressed that these are only cosmetic hoops. They have not been tested by safety devises, the motorsport council or anybody authorised to sign off an official roll cage. Alan's Ebay advert had me awake that night thinking about what can happen if a subtle word changes . Hoops yes , roll hoops no. Roll cage no. Please be clear that if you are on the list and were under the impression that they are anything other than cosmetic hoops then please remove your name. We would not want to miss represent what these are . LEC thank you for your attention to this detail .

So to finish on a positive many parts of the project now in place . Thank you all once again for your support and i look forward to updating you all again soon.

Stay safe and stay well in these difficult covid times we find ourselves in.
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby elanik » Thu 23.04.2020, 06:18

THE LIST.
1. HJ2
2. Clemo
3. Steve A
4. Tuga2112
5. Elaverick
6. lotustonybassplayer
7. Woody