Hoops

Start your Group Buy threads here for anything pertaining to the M100

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Re: Hoops

Postby Stefan_A » Wed 29.04.2020, 17:34

THE LIST.
1. HJ2
2. Clemo
3. Steve A
4. Tuga2112
5. Elaverick
6. lotustonybassplayer
7. Woody
8. lotusles
9. SimonBUK
10. Kathryn
11. Donsladek
12. Fetnas
13. Burble61
14. Pegsyno1
15. Enright
16. Ianb1978
17. griff200pdx
18. RonR
19. maz_r
20. cliff
21. DaveP99
22. KevB
23. Nicowaker
24. lancselanman
25. Andy_J
26. Aoki Magic Pants
27. NewLogik
28. Robert Verhey
29. Oscarthecat
30. Esprit888
31. Madbilly
32. Elanik
33. Stefan_A
Stefan_A

Postby madbilly » Sat 20.06.2020, 11:10

Hi all,

So they're not roll hoops, just cosmetic but require permanent cutting of the car structure? Can someone please give more info like a basic drawing?

I thought I remembered that there are some M100s with actual roll hoops, which are they? Or have we been misnaming them the whole time?

Cheers :)
madbilly
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Sat 20.06.2020, 12:14

Billy,

Ah, therin lies the problem.....

.... many people have taken to calling them 'roll hoops' over the years - BUT - to be considered to be 'Rollover protection structures' (by definition) they have to be submitted for testing by a recognised authority (TUV, BS etc) and pass the standards required....

.... as such testing would be both expensive and destructive to a number of cars, it was never done.

As such, we CANNOT call them 'roll hoops' as there is always the possibility that someone somewhere will wish to pursue actions through Courts for an unintended consequence, and someone is looking for blame!

However, the hoops designed by Marie (LGM) many years ago (and which I have on my car) are well engineered and solid - they will never be tested (hopefully!) for roll protection, but if I didn't believe that they would help in in the event of such an incident I wouldn't have them!

The hoops which this thread concerns were designed and built by Simon (Kutching) for the Elan - he has extensive experience in design and build of safety systems for WRC teams (who can easily afford to get them tested and approved)..... and they were built to the same recognised standards, using the same materials.......

...... but they have never been 'tested'..... and so can't be sold as 'Protection' bars.

As far as I know, the only bar ever to be tested/approved (for the Federal market) was the Autoeurope bar which was made in USA many years ago - and that one wouldn't pass UK/EU testing for approval. (But I may well be wrong!).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby madbilly » Sat 20.06.2020, 13:39

Hi Dave,

Thanks for clarifying. I think the first time I saw hoops on an M100 was on your red one and I think you told me you'd once seen a photo of an Elan upside down and that's what made you get them! ... maybe I'm misremembering.

Anyway, they're hoops, which may be good enough to be roll hoops but they've not been tested. Much clearer for me now. In my nuclear safety case terms - they probably would be useful in an accident but we can't claim them as they've not been qualified therefore we have to assume they're entirely cosmetic and will provide no protection at all.

And who wants to risk being upside down, hoops or not ;)

Cheers :)
madbilly
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Sat 20.06.2020, 14:35

Yep, that's pretty much it!

And yes, I had them in the red one, and this one - and wouldn't be without them....... whatever happens, they are far more solid than my head rubbing against the tarmac!

(basically, as they have not been tested they should not be considered anymore than a cosmetic addition. :wink: )
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby madbilly » Sun 21.06.2020, 23:43

Excellent, I'm happy to leave my name where it is on the list then :D
madbilly
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Group Buys