M100 Rear light covers - Remanufacture

Start your Group Buy threads here for anything pertaining to the M100

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Re: M100 Rear light covers - Remanufacture

Postby Lotus026 » Fri 03.04.2020, 16:47

Only recently having joined this forum (Elan M100 only arrived about a month ago, I've had a '65 Elan for 30 years), is it too late to get added to the group buy? I'm in the US, my M100 is a '91 which has been sidelined since being crunched in the LR in '98; and has been sitting in various places as a project since!

Discovering that tail lights have been unobtainable since shortly after my car was bent, the path of least resistance to make my car road legal again seems to be to rebuild the broken tail light. The main housing is relatively intact, the main lens less so; and have parts of the light covers - but pretty sure I don't have all the pieces to glue them back together!

So a single left side rear light cover would help a lot, and if anyone has busted pieces left of an actual lens that would be even more helpful! Though I haven't actually separated what pieces of the light exist in the loose parts that came with the car (busted fiberglass from around the LR tail light area), so I don't know how much might be missing - at this point, I'm more interested in getting the car back on the road than in restoring originality. So if anyone has broken pieces that might do me some good and are willing to part with them, I'd love to hear from them;)

Thanks much!
Dave
Lotus026

Postby M100TURBOFR » Sat 04.04.2020, 09:30

Dave Hi
Just seen your post. You're not very explicit as regards what lenses you actually require - apart from the rear light cover - (indicator, stop, brake, reverse). Pls note that all the light lenses are available to purchase but you need to specify exactly what you need. On receipt of your reply I'll send you the appropriate prices and shipment costs. Send me a private message as I can't see yours. However I'm not sure yet when shipments to the US and elsewhere will resume due to the Covid-19. Regarding the outer cover, our supplier is currently working on the pre-production moulds so should you wish to join the Group Buy let me know and we'll arrange that at a later convenient date.
All prices figure in the Group Buy posts but let me know if you require them. Await your reply.
David (m100turbofr)
Where there's a will, there's a way.
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Thu 07.05.2020, 14:19

Posting in my capacity as Forum Administrator

I have removed the latest post(s) due to a number of factors, which I shall try to explain in order to prevent anyone from asking questions which I won't answer, or for whom there is no advantage in seeing the contents of the post(s) concerned - but without loosing the gist of the conversation:-

There have been a number of posts on a Facebook 'Group' over the past 24 hours regarding this Group Buy, and the speed of the progress being made....

I have taken this step as I am independent, in that I am not a part of this Group Buy as either a supplier, courier or customer, and also I am a 'simple user' of the Facebook group in question.

...for the record, the posts are on a 'PRIVATE Group' which is nothing to do with this forum, and over which I have no control or influence. The point being, that as the members there are not always the same as the people here with a vested interest, and that this is a PUBLIC forum, the 2 media shouldn't necessarily become one (although it isn't always an issue).

As an Administrator of this forum, I feel that it is wrong to make a post here which is basically a 'copy and paste' of comments made on a Private conversation elsewhere.

When such things happen, it is easy to read the comments as they are simply 'written' without the benefit of reading them in the context of a conversation between 5 different people.

I'm sure that the parties on Facebook will agree that there is always a chance of things becoming 'lost in translation', and maybe the people there don't have the same sense of 'personal community' that I feel we enjoy here..... and things get communicated poorly.

As such, I urge that a sense of decorum is extended here (I can't stop you from saying whatever you wish elsewhere..... well, unless it is on a Facebook Group where I also am an admin (for those who haven't worked it out yet, I mean the Lotus Elan Central Facebook page :wink: ).

There are undoubtedly issues everywhere at the moment due to global pandemics, and delays will happen - whether those delays are acceptable or not is a matter for those involved in the transaction, and they must do as they see fit to accept or mitigate such things......

.....BUT......

...... I expect that such things are kept appropriate, respectful and cordial on THIS forum.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby M100TURBOFR » Thu 07.05.2020, 15:16

Dapinky ( Dave)
Thanks. Point taken.

David
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby M100TURBOFR » Mon 11.05.2020, 12:49

Hello all
Several reproaches have very recently been made with respect to my failing to keep the Group updated. When I receive information I, as always, normally pass it on. The Covid-19 pandemic hasn’t facilitated matters any. Note also that we have been in lockdown since mid March. Our supplier incidentally is all alone (his staff have been furloughed) but he has been working on the moulds thanks to the models which Denny Morris so very kindly sent over. If you recall I sent you all a message on April 15 hoping that you were safe and self-isolating. I mentioned in a post-scriptum that our supplier had indeed received Denny’s models. That was my last update.

I received an email this morning telling me that the models for approval will be sent off within a week. In principle there should not by any problems (models based on Denny’s covers). On receipt I’ll inspect them and mount them on my rear lights to check that (this time) they are ok dimensionally.

I’ll naturally keep you posted.
Will post this message on the LEC Forum.

Regards
David (m100turbofr)
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby SIVASLIAN serge » Mon 11.05.2020, 22:38

David hi,
It's a good news. Many thanks for what you are doing and take Care of you. :D
Serge
SIVASLIAN serge

Postby damdor » Wed 13.05.2020, 22:12

David (m100turbofr),
Hi - hope I'm posting this in the right place - apologies to all, if not. I wondered if I might be too late to place an order on the M100 rear light covers?
David
damdor
Welcome to LEC - please introduce yourself

Postby M100TURBOFR » Thu 04.06.2020, 19:57

Hello to all Rear light cover Group buyers

Hello all
Apologies for delay in replying following receipt of models on Tuesday around midday. Firstly I was in Paris all day Tuesday. Secondly, I preferred to let parcel stay isolated a good part of Wednesday (Covid-19) before opening. Thirdly, I’ve been busy taking photos for mailing to you and posting on LEC.
I am now in a position to confirm to you that I consider the finish quality to be quasi perfect and acceptable. Please note that the colour (tint) is not what we have ordered as this is only an approval model. Our smoky/amber tint will be added on production (except for Anders Thornberg who has ordered a fully transparent version). The covers fit easily into/over the rear light support and the clips push on easily to hold the cover in place (see photos). If, on viewing the photos, you are of the same opinion as myself, please advise and I will inform our supplier that he can go ahead with production.
He has the required quantity of raw material in stock and his two vacuum forming machines for producing our covers. The moulds are ready and prepared and he can start production within a fairly short period (naturally to be confirmed.

Once again, I’d like to apologise to you all for the time it has taken to reach this stage, but it has not been an easy task, neither for me nor for our supplier. There have been many problems to be solved. He has done his utmost to satisfy our wishes and I can only but thank him. There have been a few detractors but the vast majority of you have shown patience and have not jumped ship.

Without the kind gesture of Denny Morris (not forgetting also Daniel Evans) who very kindly sent off his pair of covers as models (mine were not suitable), our supplier was able to produce the appropriate correct moulds for the M100 covers and thus send me the approval models. Otherwise we were at a standstill. Regarding this gesture, I have already broached the subject in an email to which very few of you replied. I am there reiterating my request as I consider it only right that Denny be reimbursed for the expenses incurred in sending his covers over to our supplier here in France. If you’re in agreement, I propose that we each send the sum of 3,00 GBP (three pounds sterling) via PAYPAL as a token of thanks. For information, the cost was just over 50,00 GBP. If you agree, I’ll ask Denny for his Paypal address.

That’s about it. I personally am satisfied with the finish quality and I trust you will be too.

I’ll also post some additional photos on LEC for your perusal.

P.S. Our supplier will inform me when he can start production and I’ll let you know. However, with regard to the Covid-19 epidemic, I personally do not know the situation regarding dispatch to the various destinations (UK, Canada, USA, Sweden) but our supplier will go into this aspect.

Pending production and dispatch, I wish you all the best and ask you to stay safe.

David (m100Turbofr)
Attachments
101145209_RH_Clips mounted.jpg
101409847_LH rear.jpg
101524925_RH rear.jpg
101673120_RH rear_Side on.jpg
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby M100TURBOFR » Thu 04.06.2020, 20:01

More Photos
I'll have to resize as they're being rejected. Otherwise I can always send them via email to you.
David
m100Turbofr
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby LRS7 » Thu 04.06.2020, 21:38

Hi David
Wonderful news and muchly appreciated, thanks again for your hard work and time on this group buy :D

After looking at these photos I’m now thinking I should have ordered clear rather than smoked would this be a problem to change ? Do you have a expected delivery date now for those uk buyers Brexit pending.

All the best in these difficult times
Mark
Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Range Rover Evoque
M100 1991 Lotus Elan Se
M100 1994 Lotus Elan S2 #498
LRS7
Enthusiast

Postby M100TURBOFR » Fri 05.06.2020, 10:50

Mark Hi
Email sent in reply.
David
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby mattdovey » Sun 07.06.2020, 05:53

Hi,
Is it still possible to add my name to the group buy? I require both rear lenses
mattdovey

Postby M100TURBOFR » Sun 07.06.2020, 12:16

Matt?
PM sent.
David
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby mattdovey » Tue 09.06.2020, 11:14

Cheers David. PM replied to.
Matt
mattdovey

Postby Lotus026 » Fri 12.06.2020, 17:39

Is there any idea on what the reproduced light covers will end up costing, or is this something that I should know better than to ask; because if I have to I can't afford it?! My prior Lotus experience has been with the '65 Elan I've owned for 29 years, hence possibly skewed since parts for it are relatively available and reasonably priced!! Just would like to have some idea on the cost before I commit to ordering! And pretty sure I haven't seen any mention in this thread.

Or maybe what I want is a relatively intact LR cover from someone that's planning on replacing theirs with a re-manufactured one? I've been considering attempting to glue or weld back in replacement plastic missing on mine, just not acted yet because of stay at home order until recently and other higher priority projects! I care more about functionality than appearance, and returning the car to the road after a 22 year absence is more important than looks:) And you can see from the condition of mine, leaves something to be desired.....but still in much better condition than the one on the car when it was hit! -Dave
Attachments
LR Cover 2r.jpg
My mostly intact LR cover!
Lotus026

Postby M100TURBOFR » Sat 13.06.2020, 07:39

Dave Hi
All info figures on page two of this post. As stated individual sides are available for purchase.
At your disposal for any additional info, if required
David
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby M100TURBOFR » Tue 23.06.2020, 16:41

Hello All
Update of 23/06/2020. Please note that covers are starting to be dispatched. Three pairs have been sent out to our Group Buy members. Others will be following as a second mould is under preparation to help step up production.
Regards David
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby LRS7 » Sat 04.07.2020, 19:26

Hi David
Did you get a confirmed dispatch date on the first set of covers ? Any update of further deliveries
Regards Mark
Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Range Rover Evoque
M100 1991 Lotus Elan Se
M100 1994 Lotus Elan S2 #498
LRS7
Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Group Buys