M100 Rear light covers - Remanufacture

Start your Group Buy threads here for anything pertaining to the M100

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Re: M100 Rear light covers - Remanufacture

Postby M100TURBOFR » Thu 27.02.2020, 15:44

Mad Billy
Hi
Thanks for the offer but the covers must be in A1 condition otherwise all defects show up in the final product. Thanks anyway.
David
Last edited by M100TURBOFR on Thu 27.02.2020, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
Where there's a will, there's a way.
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby M100TURBOFR » Thu 27.02.2020, 15:55

Daniel
Hi
Await photos and your final appraisal of your cover.
I reiterate Daniel's remark: "P.s. there must be a loads of people in here willing to part with their cover. Com on everyone have a look"
The sacrifice of a pair of covers or of a LH cover is our only solution. Otherwise no moulds can be made and consequently no covers manufactured.

David (m100turboFR)
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby madbilly » Thu 27.02.2020, 16:04

I hate to suggest it, but does Steve Strange have any examples in excellent condition?
madbilly
Fanatic

Postby M100TURBOFR » Thu 27.02.2020, 20:43

Madbilly
I don't think this would ever become one of our options!
David
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby NewLogik » Fri 28.02.2020, 05:35

I wish I could provide the missing one :( Any updates from any generous person to get this thing going ? :D
NewLogik
Enthusiast

Postby M100TURBOFR » Fri 28.02.2020, 08:54

Maxime
Hi
Unfortunately no - still awaiting confirmation from Daniel. I'll send out another reminder to everyone later on today.
David
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby Danevansgolf » Sat 29.02.2020, 00:18

Quick message to say I haven’t forgotten. Just life has Taken over this weekend. I’ll sort it by Monday.
Once again I’m sorry. Hang on I there.
Daniel.
Danevansgolf
Enthusiast

Postby Danevansgolf » Sat 29.02.2020, 08:43

Sorry lads. Can’t use mine. I now have a chip from one of the corners. Yes this is my doing, trying to remove it from the pod. Luckily it’s in a place where the body work will hide it. Bloody frustrating. Anyone else out there.
Daniel.
Danevansgolf
Enthusiast

Postby NewLogik » Wed 04.03.2020, 16:35

Isn't using Daniel LH light cover an option ?
I get the point that it needs to be perfect for the mold, however if the chip in the corner is glued in place, it shouldn't be a big issue as this is a part that is actually hiden behind a body panel. I mean, it seems like no one with a perfect condition cover want to part with it to get this going. It's either this or we won't be able to have a run. In my opinion, we should have a slighty imperfect cover in one of the corner than nothing and specialy since it's not going to be visible.

What everyone's thoughts on this ?

Maxime
NewLogik
Enthusiast

Postby clemo » Wed 04.03.2020, 19:21

I sent my rear light knowledge to the group email which was deemed irrelevant.

I am still at loss as to what the dimension problem is .

Here are photos of both types side by side.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20861&p=265554&fbclid=IwAR2R8jtnyp5HHU-8Htn9HLj2ZsCcPf5WPtrj2pG38ZppBK6uCz6XstvU7HY
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby M100TURBOFR » Thu 05.03.2020, 09:59

Hello
Dave in your email of 25/02 you wrote:
[ Now that I'm thinking about it I recall there is a difference in loom and inner fittings for bulbs from se to s2.
When offered up for fitting was this se to se or se to s2. My s2 lights are marked as 1996. I recall earlier ones have 91 printed on them.]"

I repeat again, please explain the relevance of the above to the "dimensional difference" problem I exposed and of which I posted photographs [b]which are self explanatory[/b]. The difference is plain to see! I explained that the cover models sent to me for approval are too big (lengthwise and corner angle) and do not fit onto our back support. Our supplier unawaringly considered (just like myself) that the Alpine covers were identical to our M100 ones which is not the case. Perhaps - as you're trying to point out - the Alpine slatted ones fit - I have no idea - but we placed an order for original tinted ones!!

Maxime : I already replied to your comment by email. I repeat again, the covers sent for mould preparation must be in almost A1 condition (no cracks, very few scratches, etc. etc.) otherwise the mould will reproduce the latter and consequently the finished product will be flawed. This is the reason my oners (handed over in January) were finally rejected.

I trust I have now made this clear.
David (m100turbofr)
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby NewLogik » Thu 05.03.2020, 15:41

M100TURBOFR wrote:Hello
Dave in your email of 25/02 you wrote:
[ Now that I'm thinking about it I recall there is a difference in loom and inner fittings for bulbs from se to s2.
When offered up for fitting was this se to se or se to s2. My s2 lights are marked as 1996. I recall earlier ones have 91 printed on them.]"

I repeat again, please explain the relevance of the above to the "dimensional difference" problem I exposed and of which I posted photographs [b]which are self explanatory[/b]. The difference is plain to see! I explained that the cover models sent to me for approval are too big (lengthwise and corner angle) and do not fit onto our back support. Our supplier unawaringly considered (just like myself) that the Alpine covers were identical to our M100 ones which is not the case. Perhaps - as you're trying to point out - the Alpine slatted ones fit - I have no idea - but we placed an order for original tinted ones!!

Maxime : I already replied to your comment by email. I repeat again, the covers sent for mould preparation must be in almost A1 condition (no cracks, very few scratches, etc. etc.) otherwise the mould will reproduce the latter and consequently the finished product will be flawed. This is the reason my oners (handed over in January) were finally rejected.

I trust I have now made this clear.
David (m100turbofr)

David : I'm aware of your email and I also followed here, however I still say that this corner isn't making any impacts if it had to be the solution. It can be repaired and mold be done from it as this isn't a visible part of the cover. It needs to be A1 condition for all the remaining surface as otherwise it will show up in the final product and this I understand but I don't get the point where you point out that you've already replied to me. I mean, if you read what I posted it does explain my point of view on this, not that I don't understand what's required for a mold. I've worked on similar project in the past for other things like this and again, I repeat myself, for this specific corner which isn't visible... I still think that it could be done.

We're working on solutions and possibilites, what's the official answer from the manufacturer if we ask them about the repaired corner, why would they refuse to do it ?
NewLogik
Enthusiast

Postby donsladek » Thu 05.03.2020, 16:33

Don Sladek
Calypso Red '91 #37594

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
donsladek
Fanatic

Postby M100TURBOFR » Thu 05.03.2020, 16:56

Maxime
My own covers, which were in reasonably good condition (no cracks or broken bits just a few scratches) - handed over personally in January - were finally rejected by our supplier. Daniel's one unfortunately is broken.
However, to put your mind at rest, in answer to your query, I have sent an email with photo of Daniel's broken cover to our supplier and will revert back with his answer.

David
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby M100TURBOFR » Thu 05.03.2020, 17:04

Maxime
Just received a reply re your query: Since you speak French I'll leave it for you to finally understand.

Il est possible d’utiliser la pièce cassée à condition :

• D’avoir tous les morceaux pour reconstruire la géométrie par collage.
• De pouvoir peindre la totalité de la surface pour bien masquer la réparation.

Il est toujours préférable d’avoir une pièce d’origine propre car toute réparation/peinture induit de petite différences qui, si elles ne sont quasiment pas visibles, existent tout de même. C’est le cas par exemple de la finesse des inscriptions en relief qui peut varier légèrement. De plus cela donne plus de travail de préparation.

Ais-je répondu à votre question ?

Bonne journée

François DÉCLA
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby NewLogik » Thu 05.03.2020, 18:58

M100TURBOFR wrote:Maxime
Just received a reply re your query: Since you speak French I'll leave it for you to finally understand.

Il est possible d’utiliser la pièce cassée à condition :

• D’avoir tous les morceaux pour reconstruire la géométrie par collage.
• De pouvoir peindre la totalité de la surface pour bien masquer la réparation.

Il est toujours préférable d’avoir une pièce d’origine propre car toute réparation/peinture induit de petite différences qui, si elles ne sont quasiment pas visibles, existent tout de même. C’est le cas par exemple de la finesse des inscriptions en relief qui peut varier légèrement. De plus cela donne plus de travail de préparation.

Ais-je répondu à votre question ?

Bonne journée

François DÉCLA

With this answer from the supplier, I do believe that this can be considered as an option as this part of the cover isn't visible and as it say, it might involve more preparation work however it's doesn't seems like we have much options at this point. I would have preferred to source perfect condition covers, however it doesn't seems like any fellow LEC members have or want to part with a pair to be able to get the production done.

The cover condition of Daniel is otherwise pretty good from what I've seen so if it's only the corner, we should ask everyone their opinion on this and see with the supplier what he think about getting this corver fix even if as he said the preference would have been to start with one in perfect condition... The only concern I have, he's saying that this involve more work, what does that means ? Additional cost on the preparation of the mould ? Anything else ?

Again, thank you for the follow up you've done, I really appreciate your time and efforts and I'm not here to complain about any of this. I just want to work towards a solution and I'm sure it's also what you're looking for. I was suggesting this as I've had to deal with similar issues while getting a supplier to have reproduction of some parts done with moulds.
NewLogik
Enthusiast

Postby M100TURBOFR » Thu 05.03.2020, 20:30

Maxime
I realise you, like all of us, wish to move forward, but nobody - except two very kind people - is willing to part with their covers. The use of a damaged cover would be a last resort solution and in view of all the work required, it is not a viable, feasible one. I remind you that I have offered my RH cover off my 2nd M100 so really speaking we only need a LH one.

Please note that I have received a proposal from one kind person who is willing to sacrifice a pair. He is currently finding out the cost for shipment to France and should be contacting me fairly shortly.
Please therefore be patient. We'll eventually find a solution.

David
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby NewLogik » Thu 05.03.2020, 22:08

M100TURBOFR wrote:Maxime
I realise you, like all of us, wish to move forward, but nobody - except two very kind people - is willing to part with their covers. The use of a damaged cover would be a last resort solution and in view of all the work required, it is not a viable, feasible one. I remind you that I have offered my RH cover off my 2nd M100 so really speaking we only need a LH one.

Please note that I have received a proposal from one kind person who is willing to sacrifice a pair. He is currently finding out the cost for shipment to France and should be contacting me fairly shortly.
Please therefore be patient. We'll eventually find a solution.

David

Thank you for the update, from here we couldn't tell that someone proposed to sacrifice a pair... ;)
NewLogik
Enthusiast

Postby M100TURBOFR » Fri 06.03.2020, 08:30

Maxime
You wrote:
[Thank you for the update, from here we couldn't tell that someone proposed to sacrifice a pair.]

I intentionally didn't mention this as I did not want to raise hopes unnecessarily in case the proposal fell through. I will, as usual, inform everyone accordingly if all goes well.

David
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby M100TURBOFR » Fri 13.03.2020, 11:27

Update 13 03 2020
Hello all
Just a short update to keep you informed about our Group Buy. Thanks to the generosity of one of our buyers – Mr Denny Morris – please note that a pair of covers was sent off from the UK to France on 11th March. This gesture is extremely admirable and hopefully will be greatly appreciated by all of you. Otherwise we were at a standstill. It should, in principle, allow our supplier to produce the correct moulds required for the production of our rear light covers. I will of course keep you all posted about the progress made. Count around 2 weeks for mould preparation and another two for producing the first models for approval. This will bring us up to around mid April.

Denny’s main concern was to help out our group. He is not looking for any particular credit and would rather remain out of the limelight. However, I’m sure you will agree, it is not up to Denny to bear the cost of dispatch himself. The latter cost should be equally split between all of us. Denny personally would rather wait until production and delivery are well underway. Although not an obligation, can we nevertheless agree that we will each undertake to transfer the sum of £3,00 (GBP) to his Paypal account at a certain time in the near future.

I also would like to convey my personal thanks to Daniel Evans for his reactivity to my request for covers and regret the unfortunate breakage he encountered.

Thanking you all in advance.
David (m100turbofr)
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Group Buys