Looking for my first M100 Turbo

Elans wanted within the U.K.

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Looking for my first M100 Turbo

Postby bchase » Mon 18.12.2017, 10:07

Hi everyone,
In order to fulfil a childhood dream (and invest a few pennies in a future classic) I'm on the hunt for a good value M100 Turbo with sub 80k miles. I'm also secretly (and perhaps wistfully) hoping I might be able to pick up a bit of a bargain at this time of year.

Does anyone know of anything up for grabs or anyone wanting to pass on their pride and joy?

Many thanks! :)
bchase

Re: Looking for my first M100 Turbo

Postby theelanman » Mon 18.12.2017, 11:32

hi and welcome
do you have a budget in mind?......
fixer upper......or minter
cheers
G
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby bchase » Mon 18.12.2017, 11:38

Thanks, the ideal motor would be already well sorted and I’d love to spend about £10 but... no more than £7k that’s for sure. Cheers!
bchase

Postby Jamie N » Mon 18.12.2017, 11:55

bchase wrote: the ideal motor would be already well sorted and I’d love to spend about £10

Welcome to the board!.

There are some nice die-cast ones available for around £10 :-D

I think it is a bit of a fallacy that you will get a cheaper Elan in the Winter, maybe in the past but I think nowadays most people that have an Elan are enthusiasts and well know how much their car is worth irrespective of what time of year it is. I think any sub 80k Elan has a baseline value that most owners know and would not drop below. You might get the very occasional one where someone has to sell quickly but even then it would never be way below value, unless it needed a fair bit of work doing possibly.
The other thing is it's only 2 more day's until that big old sun starts climbing back up into the Northern Hemisphere :D , and you know what that means, Spring will soon be on it's way!, and Elan values will start going the same direction as that big yellow orb.

I hope you find something nice, good luck with the search. :wink:
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 18.12.2017, 15:42

Jamie N wrote:I think it is a bit of a fallacy that you will get a cheaper Elan in the Winter, maybe in the past but I think nowadays most people that have an Elan are enthusiasts and well know how much their car is worth irrespective of what time of year it is. I think any sub 80k Elan has a baseline value that most owners know and would not drop below. You might get the very occasional one where someone has to sell quickly but even then it would never be way below value, unless it needed a fair bit of work doing possibly.
The other thing is it's only 2 more day's until that big old sun starts climbing back up into the Northern Hemisphere :D , and you know what that means, Spring will soon be on it's way!, and Elan values will start going the same direction as that big yellow orb.

I hope you find something nice, good luck with the search. :wink:

Sort of agree with most of that.. but traders often discount them in the autumn as they don't want to be stuck with them all winter and they think it's a 'summer only car'. I bought my current SE in early October, having seen the asking price coming down by £500 every week through September, but already had a low mileage (52k) SE and didn't really need it - so I offered a derisory amount and it got accepted.. :-D

It's unlikely a private owner will be selling at this time of year ... for some, this is when all those projects get done in the garage. If they sold it they might have to be in the house and talk to the wife or girlfriend... :lol:
and for others, like me ... the M100 is such a brilliant car that it's perfectly usable all year round.

Good luck with your search..
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Dave Eds » Mon 18.12.2017, 16:41

Jamie N wrote:

I think it is a bit of a fallacy that you will get a cheaper Elan in the winter

Jamie N wrote:The other thing is it's only 2 more day's until Spring will soon be on it's way!, and Elan values will start going the same direction as that big yellow orb

:?:
'92 NM SE '90 Calypso SE now sold '10 Evora NA '62 Wolseley 1500

Spud's Cotswold Holiday Cottage for hire - LEC discount available
Dave Eds

Location: High Cross, Herts or Mickleton, Gloucs or somewhere else

Postby Giniw » Mon 18.12.2017, 17:32

It might go up in value each year at spring, but not decreasing when winter comes!
Giniw
God

Postby bchase » Mon 18.12.2017, 18:38

Thanks all. Well I see a couple of cars up with relatively local classic dealers so I might see how keen they are to get some winter cash in as I imagine demand for classics is not generally great around Christmas.
bchase

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 18.12.2017, 22:55

bchase wrote:Thanks all. Well I see a couple of cars up with relatively local classic dealers so I might see how keen they are to get some winter cash in as I imagine demand for classics is not generally great around Christmas.

Where are you? - be good if you could add your location to your profile and then we can help out if we know of one in your locality. There's an active social scene among owners in various localities where new or potential owners are always welcome. Good idea to come along before buying and somebody will tell you things to look for when buying... All are over 20 years old so cambelt, rusty side sills & wishbones and ineffective rear brakes are common problems..
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby bchase » Tue 19.12.2017, 14:12

Thanks I'm near Fleet on the M3 at the top end of Hampshire. I'll add that to my profile.
bchase

Postby JusNoGood » Sat 03.02.2018, 10:31

This is pretty close to you and me. I didnt go to see it but it's only got 53k miles on it, nice rare colour and close to your budget at £7,995.

www.uksportscars.com/view/lotus-elan-se ... story-new/

Quite a lot of the cars I saw advertised were >80,000 - 110,000 miles and still £7-10k. So the car I've linked to looks good value to me. I didnt go to see it as I wanted a S2 with full leather. You'd need to do your own investigation on whether the trader is any good - or whether it would be like buying private "as seen".
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Return to UK Cars - Wanted