Scottish member's help required

Sell your non-Elan (or even non-Lotus cars) here.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, clemo, Nige, Specky, Sy V, GeoffSmith, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman

Re: Scottish member's help required

Postby Rambo » Fri 11.01.2019, 21:36

John_W wrote:And this is the view the other way...

PS: And this was only the “show” section of the garage.

Told you the guy had a couple of Ferrari's :burnout:

That one on the upper left looks interesting. Was it a Dino ?

PS did the "porridge nosher" need a change of pants after seeing that lot :lol: :lol: :lol:

HNY to you and Maggie :cheers:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Saltire » Fri 11.01.2019, 21:54

John_W wrote:And this is the view the other way...

PS: And this was only the “show” section of the garage.

Is that 2 250GTOs? In one place? Or are they (as I suspect) replicas?

And a 911 Drophead? And what’s under the red cover?
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec
2010 Fiat Panda 100HP, bossanova white/grey (the rollerskate)
2017 BMW F48 X1 2.0D AWD, Mediterranean blue/magnolia (the workhorse)
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire

Postby John_W » Fri 11.01.2019, 23:31

Not a Dino, looked like a GTO. Having seen a real one, I suspect that they are replicas (because the one I saw was a lot rougher but still worth quarter of a million), however I thought it rude to ask. I didn’t lift the cover, but I don’t think it’s a BMW.
The owner is most definitely a character!
:mrgreen:
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby Saltire » Sat 12.01.2019, 08:19

Looked up the one whose plate you can see - 2FR.

It’s listed as . . . a Mazda. No current MoT. I suspect what’s under the sheet might be an MR2-based Ferrari 355 replica. It looks to have the right tail lights and the curve of the rear quarter windows.

We might know more when our colleague collects his A7.
Jonathan

Saltire
God

Postby John_W » Sun 13.01.2019, 22:46

A brief squint at the interweb shows a) that the MX5 is used as a donor for 250 GTO replicas, and b) the price of real ones has risen a lot from the quarter of a million I was amazed at 25 years ago!

:shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby chris.t » Sun 13.01.2019, 22:56

Hope the A7 isn't a A6.5?
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Postby John_W » Sun 13.01.2019, 23:09

It’s registered correctly as a 1934 Austin Seven OK, but one of the first things that I told Serge was that there’s not much of the original car left. But it is a “Special” after all, and thatks how ACBC got started!

:wink:
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby Saltire » Sun 13.01.2019, 23:51

John_W wrote:A brief squint at the interweb shows a) that the MX5 is used as a donor for 250 GTO replicas, and b) the price of real ones has risen a lot from the quarter of a million I was amazed at 25 years ago!

:shock:

I live quite close to Nick Mason (Pink Floyd), who has one of the originals, registered 250GTO. And I quite often see him in the local town, driving casually around as though it’s just a Golf or similar. Mind you, he did tell me once that his favourite car of all those he owns is . . . . . . . his father’s Austin 7 Box Saloon :wink:
Jonathan

Saltire
God

Postby sideways » Mon 14.01.2019, 01:10

Saltire wrote:Looked up the one whose plate you can see - 2FR.

It’s listed as . . . a Mazda. No current MoT. I suspect what’s under the sheet might be an MR2-based Ferrari 355 replica. It looks to have the right tail lights and the curve of the rear quarter windows.

We might know more when our colleague collects his A7.

So, it is probably a real Ferrari 355 owned by someone who likes to shock people when driving his 'sleeper car'.

I once put a 6.3 AMG Mercedes badge on the back of my Ford Ranger and I could positively smell the fear.

Nowt as funny as folk.
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Mon 14.01.2019, 11:21

Saltire wrote:I live quite close to Nick Mason (Pink Floyd), who has one of the originals, registered 250GTO. And I quite often see him in the local town, driving casually around as though it’s just a Golf or similar. Mind you, he did tell me once that his favourite car of all those he owns is . . . . . . . his father’s Austin 7 Box Saloon :wink:

Jonathan,

Should you happen to be driving near his place in your Elan, I'm sure he'd be only too happy to chat to you about his cars. His first pruchase after Pink Floyd released an album was a new Elan.

I once had the 'pleasure' of seeing him in his Lotus 11 going past me like I was standing still (I was trying my hardest at Snetterton!).

I've been to his place a few times, and seen some of his collection (unfortunately, the Maserati Birdcage wasn't seen) and had a cuppa over a chat. I last bumped into him in London a few years ago (he had just finished a book signing at Selfridges and was coming out as we were going in). Angie hadn't a clue who he was, and thought he was 'just another bloke from the car club'..... however, over the course of the next hour or so (drinks and food) she realised that he may be someone well-known as people kept looking at us and asking for the odd photo. He NEVER refuses a photo (if he has time) as he knows where his money came from. A real nice guy. (It possibly helps that I like old cars and Floyd is my favourite band).

Oh, and I managed to get him to sign my First Edition "The Wall" on vinyl on one trip, as I just happened to have it in the car........
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Saltire » Mon 14.01.2019, 19:21

Agreed, super guy, always happy to chat. He and Annette hold an open day at the house most years for a local charity, and we generally go as some of the cars are on display (the cars aren’t kept at the house). I didn’t realise he’d owned an Elan, though.

Isn’t it funny how the guys that have the most to shout about are generally the most unassuming, friendly and normal, while those who shout loudest have little to commend them?
Jonathan

Saltire
God

Postby dapinky » Mon 14.01.2019, 19:38

Having gone totally :offtopic: (albeit that the original point of this post is now happily resolved).....

...... I wonder if he'd come over to Castle Combe in May (or we could always drive over there!)... it's only just over 5 miles according to Google Maps......
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby John_W » Mon 14.01.2019, 20:03

:lol:
Now this is getting more like a proper LEC thread.

Serge is on holiday just now and the last time he looked at his thread there were only a handful of boring relevant posts that didn’t even extend to a full page.

Now, with a little bit of effort from the LEC community, we’re nearly on page 3! Just think what a nice surprise that’ll be for him! It makes me proud. :smt038

:bowdown: :wink: :-D
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby Rambo » Mon 14.01.2019, 20:34

John_W wrote::lol:
Now this is getting more like a proper LEC thread.

Serge is on holiday just now and the last time he looked at his thread there were only a handful of boring relevant posts that didn’t even extend to a full page.

Now, with a little bit of effort from the LEC community, we’re nearly on page 3! Just think what a nice surprise that’ll be for him! It makes me proud. :smt038

:bowdown: :wink: :-D

Just a bit more :offtopic:

Did I ever tell you the time I had an impromptu acoustic concert by David Gilmour and Rick Wright in Lindos, Rhodes ? And then went drinking with them in Socratis bar, a mutual friend of ours :bowdown:
Rambo
Don't push me

Previous

Return to Other Cars - For Sale