Reports From Hethel - How Was It For You

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, Nige, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, Sy V, Specky, clemo, Dave Eds

Reports From Hethel - How Was It For You

Postby Nige » Mon 15.09.2008, 00:18

Well, I'm back, convoyed as far as Stansted with Daves Eds who had Doug as his passenger and then onto Dorset with Kier in a convoy of 2. Booty from the parts sale in the garage, need to work out exactly what I did and didn't get tomorrow (despite my optimism I didn't get the cylinder head or pistons).

But more importantly what a great weekend! Lotus did us proud and had clearly learn't some lessons from last year. From curry on Friday, the BBQ on Saturday, where the LEC table had the privilige of the company of Mike Kimberly for a while, Peter Stevens' entertaining and informative chat back at Dunston to the events of today it was all very good indeed.

To those who helped, contributed and were generally useful a big thankyou. Specifics to Dave Eds, TheElanman, Enright, and all who manned the stand throughout the day. To those who provided stuff for the stand particularly BobBrown and his exciting Wilwood brake update. Lots of new faces to put names to and the usual suspects amongst the familar. For me thanks to Kier and Mark V who ensured that 3 car loads of stuff has ended up where it needed to be.

I have no idea how to take the few photos I took off the camera I borrowed from my daughter so I'll leave the piccies to others.
Last edited by Nige on Mon 15.09.2008, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
Back in Blighty
Nige
LEC Administrator

Re: Reports From Hethel - How Was It For You

Postby Kier » Mon 15.09.2008, 08:29

Nige wrote:I have no idea how to take the few photos I tokk off the camera I borrowed from my daughtyer so I'll leave the piccies to others.

:lol: :lol: You could ask Katie how to do it, I expect she'll know!

What a great weekend, campsite was 'basic', Dunstan Hall looked nice.

Weather was great. The drive to get fish & chips Saturday was excellent, amazing roads and a good turn out. Peter Stevens talk was very interesting, was great to meet lots of you throughout out the weekend. The Evora looked good too. Will sort through some more pics later after work.

LEC Stand

Beach car park for fish & chips (Gary & his wife turned up in their two Elans after pic was taken but I was eating chips by that point, so 16 in total)

Dunstan Hall car par
Kier
Fanatic

Postby mnemonix » Mon 15.09.2008, 08:51

I was only there for the Sunday, but fortunately arrived early enough to miss the queue to get in.

It was a pleasure to see Enright again and make the acquaintance of Sy. As it was my first visit to Hethel, touring the factory, design studio and workshops was a fantastic experience. There was a little sadness that I no longer had my Seven S4, from what I saw I would have had the only example there ! I got the usual brush-off from the 7 Club though so nothing's changed there... and of course I got the chance to inspect more Elans in the carpark than I thought possible, I hope making my upcoming purchase that much more informed.

Above all, my main impression was that although Lotus are pushing Elises and other new cars out of the door faster than ever, they're still very much "our" Lotus. The day reminded me a little of a Village Fete (with addition of fast cars) very English, understated and lacking the polished showbiz glamour that generally permeates the automotive industry and sadly maintains the divide between "us" & "them".

Chris.
mnemonix
Fanatic

Postby Nige » Mon 15.09.2008, 09:41

Kier wrote:
Nige wrote:I have no idea how to take the few photos I took off the camera I borrowed from my daughter so I'll leave the piccies to others.

:lol: :lol: You could ask Katie how to do it, I expect she'll know!

She does :D !
Back in Blighty
Nige
LEC Administrator

Postby Galsia » Mon 15.09.2008, 10:35

Last edited by Galsia on Thu 06.05.2010, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
Galsia
Enthusiast

Postby Jackonicko » Mon 15.09.2008, 10:58

I was only there for the Sunday, but it was nice to put faces to so many familiar usernames. Thank you all for your friendly hospitality.

I drove 'Londoner' to and from, and found that he wasn't a 'cheeky chancer' as his posts seemed to indicate, but one of our fellow owners, though his (ex-red) white Elan is in Singapore in his sister's hands while he is studying at the London Business School. I thank him for his company.

Thanks to Enright for his flattering comments about some of my books (always nice to meet a reader/buyer) and special thanks to big Sy.

I will recover from seeing Geoff with his shirt off, but the mental scars will take a while to heal.....

I now have colossal 'gimmes' for the Europa!
Jackonicko

Postby Rambo » Mon 15.09.2008, 11:18

Kier wrote:

Who was it said that the reds and blues were common as muck ? Looks like the NMY's have the upper hand !
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Stef » Mon 15.09.2008, 11:47

In all, it was a great weekend!

Travelling up I spotted an English Whisky distillary off the A11 and was pleased to see they had a stall on the Sunday. First bottling of their 3yr old single malt starts next year... Popped into the factory on our way home, left Hethel around 2:30 as we were tired. Met a guy with a recovery truck there who has owned a red elan from new and was pleased to see mine! We chatted about how he has done nohing to it and is in a bit of a state but how he still loves it to bits. Sadly I didn't catch his name but he is aware of LEC and I hope will pop on.

The campsite certainly was basic but friendly and welcoming. Managed to get the new tent up ok eventually and had time to chat to the guy who had the white old Elan. We also met up with him at the pub after the BBQ untill we were chucked out as they closed!

Great to the the Nut and Nutter, what a fantastic colour to finally see in real form! Top job Keir!

The BBQ was a fab set up and I managed to see and speak to a few elaners and others. Viewing the factory then was a great opportunity when compared to the Sunday show. The Evora is beautiful however has a couple of silly flaws I'd like to change. One being the key hole on the driver's side and the other the line from the front arch following through to the back was not quite completed at the door hinge end. Petty I know but as the other details were so well crafted it stood out IMO.

Saturday's meet up at the hotel was brief so sadly I didn't get to meet many people then. The drive over was comical, I was really hoping for a mention on Radio 1 after I sent in s few texts to be read out. Sunday's event was far bigger than expected, Lotus did everyone proud. At this point I also wish to say praises for those Lotus workers who took the extra time to man the Saturday and Sunday events. Very friendly and helpful and they did not have Monday off to recover.

The stand was once again a great effort for LEC. Sorry it took us a while to find where it was. Thanks to everyLECer who put in their efforts with everything covering this event and also to all those who made it, some travelling many miles. Good to have Doug join us for he is the one who ultimatly enabled us to have the communal attendance to events such as this. Cheers dude.

Sorry if I was not quite on top form myself, it was good I was able to attend and even drive Blipi. Thoughts go out to those who couldn't make it.

Well, I guess I'll see move of you all again at Donington next year, if it is on...
Men are like a fine wine.
They begin as grapes, and it's up to women to stomp the sh * t out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.
Stef
TVR/PistonHeads Ambassador

Postby Briggsy » Mon 15.09.2008, 12:11

Me and the missus managed to get there for both days, but unfortunately had a radiator hose go on the Saturday so missed the barbie whilst doing a home made repair job. At least we were in the right place come Sunday to buy a replacement hose, just a shame it wasn't in the parts sale. Have to say the stores guys were fantastic though! We also had the misfortune of being sat on the A11 car-park for two hours on the way in. Not what you want in a car that's losing coolant :evil: On the plus side, it was great to be driven round the track by someone who actually knows what they're doing and it was nice putting a few faces to familiar names. Thanks to all who put in such great effort to ensure this group were so well represented. Thanks also to Gareth for the T-shirt. Got to go fit a new hose now! :roll:
Briggsy.
PS: From her description I think the Missus was talking to Algirdas, ("large American chap") in the main car park on Saturday. The colour is Azure Blue by the way, (she didn't know what it was called!).
S2 #392 Azure Blue / Magnolia
Briggsy
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Mon 15.09.2008, 12:13

Well, having left Hethel at 1615, we finally got through the door at 2215.

6 hours!

We did stop a few times though, and once we were onto the M11 it wasn't too bad.

Who says elans ain't reliable, practical or economical???

2 cars, 550 miles each, sometimes stuck in traffic for minutes (sometimes hours!), occassionally 'used as designed/intended', but generally doing a reasonablly steady 70mph on the motorway.

average consumption 37mpg - fans kicked in at 3/4 guage, no overheating/leaking of fluids (red one needed just under half a litre of coolant in total, blue needed none). Room for all our shopping, and fun to drive - all in all, a good ride out.

The event itself, well, where can i start? Its mainly been said before, but some extra bits to mention.....

Good weather (and company), thanks to everyone at the factory for a great effort.

Big thanks to MJK and PS - both of whom had a lot on, but still found time to spend with us riff-raff.

Thanks to all from LEF (for sharing the hotel facilities with us 'little cars').

The only decision we still can't agree on is do we sell the house and get one evora, or sell the kids aswell and have one each.

The car looks better in the flesh (or plastic, or clay) than in pictures, the final design isn't completed yet, and i'm sure Stefs concerns will not be an issue on the ones to come off the line next year.
It has an extremely comfortable driving position, with loads more room than an Elise, as easy to get into as an elan, a reasonable boot space.......

.....anyone want a couple of children????????

Final bit....

...good to meet Doug, Doug & Blair, and to see Algirdas again.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Dave Eds » Mon 15.09.2008, 12:44

Nige wrote:Hethel - How Was It For You?

Simply awesome!

Other than that, wouldn't know where to start!

Except to say thanks to each and every one of all of you - current and ex Lotus, LEC, LEF, British, Scandinavian, American, Canadian, and Indian.
'92 NM SE '90 Calypso SE now sold '10 Evora NA '62 Wolseley 1500

Spud's Cotswold Holiday Cottage for hire - LEC discount available
Dave Eds

Location: High Cross, Herts or Mickleton, Gloucs or somewhere else

Postby Rambo » Mon 15.09.2008, 13:07

Nige wrote:Hethel - How Was It For You?

Shite for me - but at least it saved me a fortune in petrol, beer, curry and spare parts !!

My misery was compounded by the fact that my holiday arranged for this Tuesday had gone belly up with the XL airways fiasco so I could've gone after all. Tried to get a day return from Edin to Norwich with FlyBe on the Sunday but they quoted £148 return :shock:

Glad to know you all had a good time - but then I guessed you would.

BTW - what time did Dico :smt078 ?? I'll need to collect my winnings LOL
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Russc » Mon 15.09.2008, 13:10

We decided to get there nice and early on the Sunday to make sure we got in, guessing it would be busy. Still had to queue for an hour to get in though....

Joined some Esprits and Elises on a convoy for a while until the missus wanted to stop for a break and followed a nice green elan into the car park after the BIB decided that we could all go into 2 lanes and slip past people who had been there for ages :poke: sorry for that one.....

Been to the factory before but that was when they were still making esprits......... nice to see it all again and have a look around areas we wern`t allowed to before.

Stand was fantastic, excellent selection of cars and good turn out. Great to meet familiar faces again and nice to meet some new ones. In and out of the carpark showing the car to various people so a good day there as well.

Typically made me realise how much i`m going to miss it, got there and back with no hassles at all and even one tank of petrol!!!!!!!!

Wonder what will be there at the next one :D
Russc
Fanatic

Postby Nige » Mon 15.09.2008, 13:15

Rambo, sorry you weren't there. Sounds like you had an excellent reason for non-attendance, until, that is, XL went down the tubes, worst of both worlds. Hope to see you at Donington next year, Alan Morgan of Club Lotus told me it would be on, but it will be in April, not March, in order to tie in with something else, hopefully.
Back in Blighty
Nige
LEC Administrator

Postby Dave Eds » Mon 15.09.2008, 14:02

Rambo wrote:
Kier wrote:

Who was it said that the reds and blues were common as muck ? Looks like the NMY's have the upper hand !

Special turn out - just had go to Suffolk in a Norfolk. :D
'92 NM SE '90 Calypso SE now sold '10 Evora NA '62 Wolseley 1500

Spud's Cotswold Holiday Cottage for hire - LEC discount available
Dave Eds

Location: High Cross, Herts or Mickleton, Gloucs or somewhere else

Postby algy the miner » Mon 15.09.2008, 14:14

Planned to get there for around 11am setting off from Doncaster at approx. 8am. That was a big mistake! Ended up in the A11 car park for 2 hours and to 'cap' it all 'Elsie' (Medina Green S2) decided to blow her top. Steam blowing from under the bonnet from the expansion bottle losing a great deal of coolant. But hope was not lost. To the rescue came a fellow M100 owner (red SE) who, without question, provided a bottle of water enough to get us to the event (eventually). The rest came from a portable toilet at the event.

Undfortunately did'nt get any details of my rescuer but I would like to, publically, thank this gentleman and his good lady for their help and hope that they made it to the show without any problems.

At the event it was great to be able to look around the factory and see the various stages of production. I was suprised to see so many left hand drive cars. The new Evora is tasty.
Tai man truputi per brangu!
algy the miner

Postby Sy V » Mon 15.09.2008, 15:04

Some pictures:

Insomnia sometimes has its benefits.

While it was still quiet.

A nice backdrop.

Overseas terrorist.

Doug on track.

Stripey does the seaside.

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant

In Respectful Memory - 21st March 1959 - 14th February 2016
Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby Sy V » Mon 15.09.2008, 15:43

Simply marvellous - thanks to everyone for their effort (with attendance, organisation and good will), company, conviviality, all round esprit-de-corps and making the weekend such an incredible success.

Thanks again to all of you that made Gail, and Dan so welcome.

Sympathies go out to those who had to call it off at the last minute, through RTAs, car reliability problems and general bad luck. Similarly, all the best to those who encountered mechanical problems on their journeys home - we all hope you eventually made good speed.

The Vickers family salutes you, one and all.

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant

Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby rip » Mon 15.09.2008, 16:02

Awesome weekend from start to finish.

Always great to meet fellow Elaners.
Camping was nice & basic (but better once I got the tent set up correctly).

Glad to meet some of our friends from across the Atlantic.
Thanks especially to Tigerdog for navigating on Saturday's coastal convoy. He noticed several turnings missed by some others. Typically, these were the best roads too.

Many thanks to DaveT for arranging the Saturday convoy itself. 16 Elans crowded into a filling station & parading through villages turned more than a few heads!

Peter Stevens' talk on Saturday night was great even though it was almost unbearably hot in the hotel at the time.

The 90 minute + queue into Hethel on Sunday was a negative & really took the shine off what should have been a decent run in. Once there though, the place was great. The stand was well put togther & full of interesting bits (I also liked the look of Bobbrown's Wilwood upgrade).
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Sy V » Mon 15.09.2008, 17:13

I've put some Evora pics here.

Sy V
LEC Godfather

Next

Return to Historical Events Archive