Oil Cooler

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Oil Cooler

Postby Mike » Mon 18.04.2005, 02:43

I have noticed some leakage from what appears to be the inlet line junction at the top of the oil cooler. Oil has been dripping down the fins on the left third of the cooler for awhile as it has grimed up the fins with dirt over time on both sides. The leak is not major, but enough where the fins need to be sprayed with some brake cleaner. I removed the liner and felt the bolt that connects the inlet line with my fingers and it appears secure (and with clean oil around it, needless to say!). I did not have time to remove the horns to get to it and try to torque it to 20 ft/lbs. Before I do this, I wonder if backing the bolt off, then re-tightening it will solve the problem. Or do I need to remove the line completely and replace the "dowty" seal, which is some form of gasket, I assume, and then re-attach it? Is the seal a common item or am I going on an Easter egg hunt if I have to replace it?<br><br>P.S. every time I get under the car I find a new electrical connector not hooked up to anything. There is one right above the oil cooler with no companion connector in sight.
Mike
Enthusiast

Re: Oil Cooler

Postby Paul.P » Mon 18.04.2005, 08:16

Mike, theres loads of spare electrical connectors all over the place, just look in the end & you should see if its been connected as it will be clean, if its dirty, dont worry, its just part of the loom.
JPS M100 was built from bare chassis up to create one off M100 in the mould of JPS Team Lotus
Paul.P
God

Postby Mike » Wed 27.04.2005, 04:04

Dowty seals- washers with rubber gaskets on both the inside and outside of the washer's metal ring. One seal for the top of the inlet line's banjo bolt and one for the bottom. $.60 each from Dave Bean Engineering. Their advice re: should one remove the cooler to inspect further for cracks (includes a lot of unbolting of parts in places only fit for a mouse) or replace the seals? - "Remove the line, replace the dowty seals, re-attach the line and pray".
Mike
Enthusiast

Postby techlectic » Wed 27.04.2005, 05:32

Don't know if you have read my thread in Problems, but I've got leaking oil cooler lines and have established that it is the rubber line itself that is leaking (inside the foam cover).  I'm guessing that you are having the same problem and that the oil is just running down to the cooler inside the foam cover.  <br><br>It's very strange seeing oil just appear on clean unblemished rubber when I run the car with the lines cleaned off - there is no sign of cracking, abrasion, or nicking on the outside.  The oil just seeps through. I understand that this is not that uncommon, and it happens with Jags too.
techlectic
Enthusiast

Postby Mike » Thu 28.04.2005, 12:29

I thought the line itself was metal, not rubber, and was only encased with the foam. So, the ends of the lines are metal and the middle piece is rubber?<br><br>I don't know why one would give way and the other doesn't. If it is wicking down the line to the cooler connection, a closer inspection will reveal this.
Mike
Enthusiast

Return to Historical Events Archive