Self Diagnostic Light

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Self Diagnostic Light

Postby lea_smart » Wed 08.06.2005, 10:06

Only had my Elan a month, starts like a dream everytime except yesterday when I started it up (using the trusty wait 5 seconds method - no transmission or gas) and the orange self diagnosis button on the right of the dash stayed on and it was making a knocking sound as though it was only firing on 3 cyclinders (perhaps).<br><br>Turned it off and tried again and it started fine, as it has done 3 times since.  The manual says info about this failure will be stored in the system for the next 50 starts.  Anyone else had this?  Is it just a computer glitch or something more sinister to worry about.
lea_smart

Re: Self Diagnostic Light

Postby Nige » Wed 08.06.2005, 12:05

Lea,<br><br>You need to do a paperclip test (details on main site) on the ALDL connector (passenger footwell behind glovebox) which will flash the check engine light to give you a fault code which you can decipher from the lists linked to on the main site.<br><br>Nige
Back in Blighty
Nige
LEC Administrator

Postby lea_smart » Wed 08.06.2005, 13:00

ok, found this<br><br>http://www.lotuselancentral.com/aldl.htm<br><br>In the picture, is the blue oblong thing the ALDL and is it removable?  Is that the end it talks about?  Got a bit confused I think.  The article says " The ALDL is a square blue plastic electrical connector with 10 holes on its end" so I guess not.<br><br>Also, it's hidden behind the glovebox in a Uk elan right?
lea_smart

Postby Nige » Wed 08.06.2005, 13:20

Lea,<br><br>The picture is of the ECU with it's lid off.  Second para on that page says: <br><br>In order to access the error codes stored in the ECU memory, you must use the Assembly Line Diagnostic Link (ALDL). This is a small blue plastic electrical connector affixed within a storage socket, which is located under the dashboard within the passenger’s footwell.<br><br>So passenger footwell, under the dashboard, behind the glove box.  You don't need to open the glove box as you can access the connector from below the dash.  Only thing to note is that I have seen a couple of cars where the garage hasn't put the connector back in its storage socket and just tucked it into the bundle of wires behind the dash.<br><br>Nige
Back in Blighty
Nige
LEC Administrator

Return to Historical Events Archive