Help me make a checklist for pre-purchase inspecti

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, clemo, Nige, Specky, Sy V, GeoffSmith, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman

Help me make a checklist for pre-purchase inspecti

Postby lotos » Mon 18.04.2005, 21:42

I'm having a Lotus dealer do an inspection for me on an Elan located across the country from me.  The car is very low miles (under 10k) and the seller is representing the car as mint condition, other than a single problem he described as a 3rd gear synchro issue.<br><br>I'm going to fax the service department a list of specific things I'd like them to check (and report condition of).  So far, I have:<br><br>- Dash problems (cracking, rattles, cracks, etc)<br><br>- Any cracks or signs of damage to body, clear peeling, orange peel, etc.<br><br>- Check for rust or damage to wishbone.<br><br>- Check windows operation.<br><br>- Check damage to convertible top and window seals.<br><br>- Tires - flat spots (show that the vehicle just sits there too long)<br><br>- Interior - perfect?  Leather been taken care of?<br><br><br>What else should I put here?  Appreciate the help [smiley=bow.gif]
lotos
God

Re: Help me make a checklist for pre-purchase insp

Postby Fubar1764 » Mon 18.04.2005, 21:59

Assuming this is the car we were talking about, the car was unlikely driven in the winter - and if so, there's plenty of road salt on her then! Have them check on how much the exhaust has rusted out, if at all. Because she's low mileage, check the fuel lines. . .expect to have to get a new fuel filter, possibly a new pump as well. Get him to produce receipts for oil changes - at least once a year as motor oil starts to break down after a year even without use. If he produces the receipts, take a look to see when the oil was changed. The oil should be changed just before winter sets in and the car goes into storage.
"Lawyer, gambler, bookie, loan-shark, light arson, sundry interests in areas of questionable legality"

-Your "Jack" of all trades
Fubar1764
God

Postby Doug » Tue 19.04.2005, 01:17

it really depends on how "thorough" you want to be $$$$<br><br>compression test and leak-down of the cylinders<br><br>I think with some fancy electrical stuff you can test the alternator and coil out real well<br><br>ball joint integrity<br><br>CV joint integrity<br><br>suspension and wishbone rust<br><br>brake lines and leaks -- would be great to have a brake test like the one Darren just posted but I haven't seen one like that done here  ([smiley=US_flag.gif])<br><br>headlight motors<br><br>rust on the fans and fan-holder support thingamagig<br><br>does the A/C work -- temperature of the blowing air<br><br>heater fans and vents all work<br><br>the hardest thing is to know the real condition of the top and paint and interior -- fine to one person may be s**t to another . . . etc<br><br>--------------------------------------------<br><br>ps, words of wisdom:  don't take the word of a mechanic for the condition of the paint/top/interior or you may regret it.<br><br>
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby lotos » Thu 28.04.2005, 20:23

About to receive the inspection from Fox Valley....  ::twiddling thumbs frantically::
lotos
God

Postby lotos » Thu 28.04.2005, 21:39

The tech said it's the nicest Elan he's seen, called it "extra clean" and didn't find any damage, rust, signs of repair, etc.  He checked the fuel leak and loose front hub carrier ball joint issue that I read about, said no problems at all.  The only noted problems were:<br><br>1) Cracking on weatherstripping at driver's side window.<br><br>2) Damper broken on exhaust.<br><br>3) Windshield washers didn't work.  No diagnosis as to whether it's a clog, bad pump / motor, whatever else it could be.  <br><br>4) Driver's window needs help going up.  Works, but needs help.<br><br>5) Third brake light isn't lighting up.  Not sure if bulb, connection, or what.<br><br>6) Alignment a little off-center.  Needs an alignment.<br><br>7) Bad 3rd gear syncho mentioned in other thread in the tranny forum.<br><br><br>So, sounds like a really solid car and I'll be making a firm offer on her.  With any luck, I'll soon be among your ranks.  Thanks for tolerating me so far  [smiley=azzangel.gif]
lotos
God

Postby Matt RI » Wed 18.05.2005, 05:25

Have not heard any news- how did this turn out?<br><br>Not many NMY ones around, was thinking you would give the full court press on this one...
I like traffic lights. But only when they're green...
Matt RI
Fanatic

Return to Historical Events Archive