LEC Stand at Donington 2007 - The serious thread

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 18.03.2007, 21:52

Brilliant job Nige, Neil et. al. Take a well deserved break if you can.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Nige » Sun 18.03.2007, 23:18

Well I'm back, unloaded and unpacked (just about) all the stand materiel and the remaining mugs, stickers and keyrings are with me. I'm going to work for a rest tomorrow :D . Much quieter today at the show and apart from the LEC'ers who stayed for the weekend more in the way of Elan owners who didn't know about LEC or those who might be thinking about buying an Elan.

I'm pretty happy with the way the stand worked out and the total cost (for which I have been reimbursed) was £40.50 so all in all not a bad deal and much of the stuff is reuseable. Thanks to those who helped and contributed, particularly Neil (Enright) who provided the shiny bits for everyone to prod, poke and discuss but above all else was there for almost all of the time and sorted the rota and the stickers. The set up crew on Friday Neil, Mark (Rambo), Ailwyn and Paul (Mugs), the take down crew this afternoon, Neil and JohnW. Tony for the loan of the projector (essential) and Liz for website design all round good taste and style, Gareth for printing the large photos and the keyrings and MarkV and Chris T for the info sheets and handouts, to all who sent me video and photos and to all who did their stint thanks.

If you helped and I haven't named you above sincere apologies, I can only claim that I'm knackered.

Next year I hope to go to Donington in my Elan rather than the necessity of an estate car :( .

I hope all who attended enjoyed the show and the LEC focal point, we just need someone to run it next year (it won't be me).
Last edited by Nige on Mon 19.03.2007, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
Back in Blighty
Nige
LEC Administrator

Postby ailwyn » Sun 18.03.2007, 23:51

Nige,

Thanks for organising the stand this year, LEC owes a debt of gratitude.

I think while everyone is still on a high from Donny '07 we should try and captialise and rally around some of the more hands-on people to try and design and build a collapsible stand.

I think the layout of the stand worked quite well this year in the T formation with projector, so there's no reason not to use that as the basis for the stand in future.

Really, all it needs is something to replace the display panel at the back, as we can get the tables from CL.

So come on you guys who are handy with a saw/welding gear....

As I see it we just need a frame similar in construction to the cheap server racks that are just held together by bolts and winged nuts, that will stand on it's own and collapse into small enough pieces to fit in the Elan boot/passenger seat.

We can make a suitable covering by taping together A1 cards, pretty much as we did this year, or using a white sheet and affixing posters/card to that.

I can't see something like this taking up that much room in someone's garage, so maybe Enright or Sy could keep it between events, and I won't mind using my Elan to help shift it from place to place.

Ailwyn
ailwyn
Forum Member

Postby Enright » Mon 19.03.2007, 01:50

I don't want this to all start sounding like the "Mutual Appreciation Society", but now that Nige has said his bit I really must give him a virtual slap on the back too.

The layout of the stand was his vision, he travelled right the way up from Bournemouth (neglecting his Elan) to do it, and manned it almost constantly from start to finish.

Saturday was a complete bunfight. There were so mant people around the stand that even more were drawn to it just to see what the huge crowd was all about! The guy with the blue Esprit next door was getting so peed off that his car kept getting nudged! :lol: For every one person that we spoke to or helped, there had to be another 2 or 3 that we missed. My brain was totally fried by the end of the day! Sorry to anyone I wasn't able to chat to before they lost patience and went. Sorry also Monty that I wasn't able to talk you though the head recon, and glad that Paul Watkins did.

But there was always help. Ailwyn, Rambo and Paul Watkins did a great job getting us set up, John Wham did the same in helping dismantle and carry everything out to cars (in the snow) at the end, despite the longest drive of the lot ahead. And people helped out without question. Special thanks for helping on the stand must go to Paul Watkins (and the gorgeous Larisa), Gareth (TheElanMan), MarkV, Snotty Seven (sorry - Tony Stevens!) and lovely Liz, Stef, Sy (great to see he made it), Ghost, everyone who did their stint on the rota, Geoff Smith for taking over the kitty, and DaPinky, Dico, SBK, PaulN and DaveTEA for bringing me much needed parts.

I'm glad that I stayed around the stand most of the time because it stopped me from spending even MORE money - my wallet is still recovering from the shock as it is!

Oh, and what a great night ChrisT organised on the Saturday.

It was fantastic to meet you all. I think the show was a great success, especially considering the distance apart of everyone and the tiny amount of actually talking to each other that we did before all getting together.
In fact, even though we didn't have any cars on the stand, I reckon it was our best one yet.

LEC now has stock and assets, all except one person's costs have been covered in full (but I have a plan to rectify that), Club Lotus were completely happy with us, and Nige has built some great foundations for next year.

Now I'm hitting the hay.
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby Stef » Mon 19.03.2007, 11:34

Top stand!

Sooo busy I missed it on first wander round! :-D

Sorry I was extremely shattered, virtually had no sleep and in true Donington style I was mostly incoherrant and vacant! :roll: I'm not like that normally, honest.

I'll try to do more next year.
Men are like a fine wine.
They begin as grapes, and it's up to women to stomp the sh * t out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.
Stef
TVR/PistonHeads Ambassador

Postby Gary » Mon 19.03.2007, 13:15

Yes the stand was great. Well done Nige. It always seemed to have a big crowd too
Ex owner of S2 no 480 and Red SE
Gary
God

Postby Rambo » Mon 19.03.2007, 20:24

The LEC stand goes from strength to strength. Great to see some of the newer crowd getting involved. Well done Nige, Neil etc.......................
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby chris.t » Mon 19.03.2007, 20:30

yeah yeah - but can we have some police girls next year!!! :smt119
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Postby TStevens » Mon 19.03.2007, 22:13

well you never know, between now and then you might be able to persuade deidre(I bet I got the wrong spelling) to dress up for the stall, I'm sure we can make an "LEC Babes" calendar.
TStevens
God

Postby Paul.P » Mon 19.03.2007, 22:20

Tony, i before e, except after c !
JPS M100 was built from bare chassis up to create one off M100 in the mould of JPS Team Lotus
Paul.P
God

Postby Enright » Mon 19.03.2007, 22:44

And N.
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby Paul.P » Mon 19.03.2007, 22:53

Anyway, who's Diedre ?, was she one of the police officers ?
JPS M100 was built from bare chassis up to create one off M100 in the mould of JPS Team Lotus
Paul.P
God

Postby Liz » Mon 19.03.2007, 23:08

Paul.P wrote:Anyway, who's Diedre ?, was she one of the police officers ?

That would be Chris' wife :wink:
Liz
Site Designer

Postby Paul.P » Tue 20.03.2007, 07:58

Liz wrote:
Paul.P wrote:Anyway, who's Diedre ?, was she one of the police officers ?

That would be Chris' wife :wink:

So who was the lady dishing the mugs out ?
Paul.P
God

Postby theelanman » Tue 20.03.2007, 09:14

Paul
I'm pretty sure that was Larisa (paulwatkins other half......)
:D
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby chris.t » Tue 20.03.2007, 09:33

Deirdre, is my wife/co-driver/map reader/cd changer/toll payer etc etc. I mentioned about the police uniform but she said we'll just have to settle for the french maid. Sorry guys i tried :wink:
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Postby Paul.P » Tue 20.03.2007, 17:57

Hey Chris, french maids fine by me :lol:
Paul.P
God

Postby Monty » Tue 20.03.2007, 17:59

Paul.P wrote:Hey Chris, french maids fine by me :lol:

For some reason can`t see u fitting in one LMAO :-D
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby John_W » Wed 21.03.2007, 22:00

Nige,
Excellent job. And you Neil, and everybody else who put it together. What a crowd it attracted.

On the Saturday it was definitely LEC people, but on Sunday we managed to help quite a few Elan owners or would-be owners and I hope we get some more members out of it.

I had to wait for quite a while until the crowd thinned enough to be able to see the stall to take a photo.

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John_W
Heid-bummer

Previous

Return to Historical Events Archive