Electric Water Pump

Please put all your known Elan Cross-Refenced parts here--click "start new topic" and title it with the part type, then add all known info to the post.

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Electric Water Pump

Postby lotuska » Thu 12.04.2007, 09:18

As the electric water pump on my car is siezed solid I've done a bit of digging and come up with the following part:

BOSCH 0 130 002 070

I have also taken a gamble on the following ebay item from the states:

auxiallary water pump

It only cost me £35 with postage and packing, so what the hell...

A new item is available from here where a load of application data and various part numbers are listed that might help others.

Both look identical to what I've taken off the car, the right electric connector, the label match (to whats left on mine) and even the blue sealant is the same.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lotuska
Fanatic

Postby WayneP » Tue 17.04.2007, 07:34

Looks like I need one also. Pump runs when cold (with direct 12V feed), but doesn't when hot. I'll try taking it apart but I'm not hopeful!

The Bosch part looks identical, and a good price for the new part (especially for you guys in the UK at 2 dollars to the pound). Don't forget to post the actual result of fitting it.
WayneP

Postby Doug » Tue 17.04.2007, 09:40

Wayne, if you can get the pump to run with a direct jump then it works and why would you need a new one

perhaps your temp sensor has gone bad or the coolant never gets hot enough (though if you are in AZ then the former would be more likely I assume)

there's a few threads for a new sensor that will make the fans/pump come on at a lower temp too if you wanted to go for that . . .
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby Doug » Tue 17.04.2007, 09:48

quoting myself from THIS THREAD

Doug wrote:FWIW, there's 3 temp sensors on the engine

one goes to the dash gauge ONLY
one goes to the ECU only (CTS)
and the other is for the coolant fans ONLY

they're all right next to each other at the thermostat

see this image

in the thermostat write-up for more info
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby Monty » Tue 17.04.2007, 10:51

WayneP wrote:Looks like I need one also. Pump runs when cold (with direct 12V feed), but doesn't when hot. I'll try taking it apart but I'm not hopeful!

The Bosch part looks identical, and a good price for the new part (especially for you guys in the UK at 2 dollars to the pound). Don't forget to post the actual result of fitting it.

The pump only runs when the ignition is off and only when the temp is high enough that fans would off kicked in.
Best way to test is to undo the thermal fan switch loom (see dougs pic above), stick a piece of wire in there and then earth to the engine lift bracket, with ignition on the fans should be running and with ignition of the pump should be running. If there working next thing is to let the engine run and let the fans kick in and as soon as they do turn the ignition off and u should hear the pump running.
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby paulwatkins » Tue 17.04.2007, 11:28

lotuska,
I just wanted to mention the problem I had with my electric pump and a simple and quick 'enhancement' you can do while you have it out of the car.

The screws holding the black plastic pieces together (bits with the hose connections) are steel self-tappers. The problem I had was that a screw had corroded over time and the thing started leaking where the 2 pieces joined. This was exacerbated by the sideways stress placed on this joint by the positioning of the hoses.

A simple fix was to take the black pieces apart, drill the threads out of the base part, and use stainless nuts and bolts to securely clamp through the whole thing. Worked a treat.

Just a thought :?

Cheers, Paul
paulwatkins
God

Postby WayneP » Tue 17.04.2007, 17:25

Pump runs when cold but not when hot (both with direct 12V feed). Therefore I am assuming something is locking-up when hot.

There is power at the connector when it should be there; hot engine (hot enough for fans to run), then ignition off.
WayneP

Postby Doug » Tue 17.04.2007, 18:19

there was another (cheaper I think) replacement pump noted in the repairs/common parts page in the main site HERE
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby Monty » Tue 17.04.2007, 19:35

WayneP wrote:Pump runs when cold but not when hot (both with direct 12V feed). Therefore I am assuming something is locking-up when hot.

There is power at the connector when it should be there; hot engine (hot enough for fans to run), then ignition off.

No point doing a direct live feed, it triggers on the earth side, do as i suggest above to see if it works when shorting it out. If it works when cold then it`s working, it could be something to do with the thermal fan switch :?
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby WayneP » Tue 17.04.2007, 20:15

Just to be perfectly clear - I disconnected the pump lead connector and applied 12V across the pins: the pump ran whan it was cold but didn't when it was hot.

There were no thermal switches in the circuit when I did this.

I also measured the feed to the pump connector and power is there when it should be. I am 100% sure it is the pump.

Seems like the Bosch pump is the lowest price, if it fits.
WayneP

Postby lotuska » Fri 27.04.2007, 14:45

Got the replacement pump from the states...not exactly the same :cry:

Both the inlet and outlet pipes are smaller diameter than my original....however I was able to simply unscrew the cover (which has the inlet and outlets on) and swap it over....result :)
lotuska
Fanatic

Electric coolant pump

Postby Ellie » Tue 07.08.2007, 15:39

This thread has been very useful, but raised more questions for me...
I remember in my owners' manual reading something about the pump (and fans) may run when the engine is switched off, but I have never encountered this even when the engine has been hot enough to bring in the fans when the ignition is switched on again. The fans work fine when the ignition/engine is on (and usually only if in slow traffic or after a heavy leadfoot session). Does the system have a problem? Nothing has been indicated during the last major dealer service. :?
S2 #161 Calypso Red & fun in the sun. S2 means seats two, and I aint walkin'!
Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
Ellie
Enthusiast

Postby M100 TWO » Wed 08.08.2007, 17:13

The pump will only run when the ignition is turned OFF, the fans will only run when the ignition is ON, to check the pump get the engine hot enough that the fans are running switch off the ignition the pump should start straight away
Don't try to defie the law of physics! here endeth the first lesson
M100 TWO
God

Postby Doug » Fri 10.08.2007, 06:11

:agree: above is correct

or you can ground the proper fan thermal switch with the ignition off and it should run!

it's not something you would check during any true dealer service, so the fact that you say it can get hot enough to run the fans and then haven't noticed the aux pump may be a problem. You have to try the pump as above and then trace it's electrical leads. heck, you could even short the pump directly to the battery if you are careful to prove if it works or not.
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby Ellie » Sun 12.08.2007, 08:17

Thanks folks.
I'm sure the fans are OK. I cannot say I have noticed any kind of pump noise after switching of the ignition, however I usually ensure the fans shut down before switching off... but residual heat soak may sometimes be enough to have the fans come on if switching on the ign. again. Seems I shall be fishing around the engine bay soon!
S2 #161 Calypso Red & fun in the sun. S2 means seats two, and I aint walkin'!
Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
Ellie
Enthusiast

Postby M100 TWO » Sun 12.08.2007, 11:08

Ellie pump is forward and to the right of the bonnet catch as you look in the engine bay
Don't try to defie the law of physics! here endeth the first lesson
M100 TWO
God

Postby Simon_P » Sun 12.08.2007, 20:41

Ellie,

If you let the fans run before switching off then everything will be cool enough.

Switch the ignition off as soon as the fans start up and you should hear the pump within a few seconds.
Simon_P
God

Postby muley » Mon 23.06.2008, 22:19

Hi,

Had a leak on my pump and discovered the leak is below the impellor so the quick fix on the top didn't work

The Jabsco pump is no longer listed at Southern Marine.

I did find a US supplier of a similar Johnson pump and I ordered one a while back.

In the meantime I discovered that an exactly similar pump was fitted to pre-facelift Vauxhall Omegas from circa 1994. Oh, and Lotus Carltons ;)

The Vauxhall part number is 9120117. The Vauxhall dealer would order me one in and it would cost £99.88 including VAT. You might have to source a 2 pin plug to suit or solder your own leads on.

Note I haven't actually seen a 9120117 but read on.

In the meantime I put a request for the part on findapart - using the above part number and I got a response from 3 vehicle dismantlers who quoted me around the £30 mark - inc VAT delivered with a 60 day guarantee.. I have one which I'll fit if the US sourced Johnson part doesn't turn up before I go on summer holidays.

I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.

HTH

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man"
1995 Palacio S2 no 507
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC Red Honda Integra S
muley

Re: Electric Water Pump

Postby Exbury » Mon 08.12.2008, 16:38

Has anyone tried the Bosch Pump as originally listed under part number 0130002070 from the USA (through a few places)? I need a new coolant pump, there seems to be a similar one on the american ebay under part number 0392020075 but not listed under rock auto.

Or are there current better sources out there. I note that the GM one is available here (details above), but if the Bosch one slots in without soldering and is a similar price then probably would prefer this. Shames as I sent a Pre facelift Omega to the scrappie before I read this article!!

Jason
'Who is to know what is possible until one has attempted the impossible and suceeded'
Exbury
Fanatic

Re: Electric Water Pump

Postby Gazza » Mon 08.12.2008, 18:07

Sinclaires recently got me one from Germany from the people who originally made them for the Elan. They had about 11 left and then thats it.

Gazza
S2 Midnight Blue #660
Hayward & Scott 2.5" exhaust.
Red AP brakes & Nitron adjustable suspension.
SOLD

TVR Tamora in Montreal Blue
Gazza
God

Next

Return to Part Cross-Reference