LGM Elan

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Sun 09.12.2007, 12:40

Well as of a few hours ago I did some high speed runs and dialed the car in to 14-15PSI of boost. First observations is that the car will break the tires free in the first three gears upon hard acceleration and cold tires. Second boost builds at an amazing rate as does speed once the tires warm up a bit and traction is attained. Third, this much power is fun but not very useable at the mo' as the car can get abit squirly trying to put the ponies to the ground. Hopefully I can get that solved with some minor suspension tweeks. At some point I would like to get the car dyno'd to get a guess-timate what the actual power is.

So far no sputtering or high speed miss. Just alot of burnouts and squealing tires. Its actually alittle scary to drive now. :burnout: on a side not I inadvertantly raced a 442 for a three block run..... and won :shock: by alittle more than a car length. That said, I think the car's fast enough now. Engine mods done, now to finish the interior and the last of the body mods i.e. the new tail light cluster and the car's new paintjob. The end is in sight for the seemingly endless mods and I'm left with one kick ass ride. :smt117
Must....................Go...............Faster
User avatar
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu 14.07.2005, 07:35
Location: Earth or there abouts

Postby tigerdog » Sun 09.12.2007, 17:51

lotusgirlmarie wrote:So far no sputtering or high speed miss.


This is good to know - if yours runs clean then so should mine. I'm going to start with narrowing the plug gap. 1.1mm is too wide for this much boost, I think.

Sounds like you're having fun, Marie! Congratulations on a job well done!
User avatar
tigerdog
God
 
Posts: 2715
Joined: Tue 20.03.2007, 09:07
Location: San Diego, CA, USA

Postby Ekapol » Sun 09.12.2007, 20:49

lotusgirlmarie wrote: Its actually alittle scary to drive now. :burnout: ..

.. The end is in sight for the seemingly endless mods and I'm left with one kick ass ride. :smt117


If even you say so :shock: ....

Congratulations for the white beauty!! 8)
"Do or do not.... there is no try."

“Named must your fear be before banish it you can.” -- Yoda
User avatar
Ekapol
God
 
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon 19.06.2006, 21:55
Location: Sin City

Postby Ekapol » Thu 20.12.2007, 06:01

Went out for a ride, I was in the passenger seat.

Holy cow :shock: The car just launches and pulls so hard, stopping is even better. I was in awe.

"Engine is done", she softly said.

"Yeah, well done", I replied.

Gauges are so beautiful. It looks so Lotus!
I just had to snap a few shots.

Image

Image

What's next?
Image

Quite a teaser, roughly lined up the prototype on Stripey.
Image
"Do or do not.... there is no try."

“Named must your fear be before banish it you can.” -- Yoda
User avatar
Ekapol
God
 
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon 19.06.2006, 21:55
Location: Sin City

Postby Matt RI » Thu 20.12.2007, 06:45

Congrats, Marie!

Sounds like a rousing success. Can't wait to get the details...
I like traffic lights. But only when they're green...
User avatar
Matt RI
Fanatic
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri 10.12.2004, 04:42
Location: Rhode Island

Postby Specky » Thu 20.12.2007, 12:17

LGM

I like it.... :-D

The bauer MOD is optoinal I guess..

I went for Graf MOD instead.. more robust..

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
User avatar
Specky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5982
Joined: Sun 07.09.2003, 23:19
Location: Swindon

Postby Elanlover » Thu 20.12.2007, 13:57

Hey, are those hockey gloves in the passenger seat...................... :shock:

Now you're talking my language. :-D
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Fri 21.12.2007, 03:13

Actually hockey skates. My cheapie Bauer 77's. Used to play ice hockey and was aching to go ice skating so I tossed the skates in the car and took off for a bit. I have Easton gloves for messing around but my good stuff is all DR.
Must....................Go...............Faster
User avatar
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu 14.07.2005, 07:35
Location: Earth or there abouts

Postby Ekapol » Tue 19.02.2008, 09:36

Somebody's just got new toys :-)


ImageImage
"Do or do not.... there is no try."

“Named must your fear be before banish it you can.” -- Yoda
User avatar
Ekapol
God
 
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon 19.06.2006, 21:55
Location: Sin City

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Wed 20.02.2008, 22:17

New Ultimate pedals from a Ferrari 355. I had to modify the accelerator pedal but other than that pretty neat fit, Very nice feel and grip.
Must....................Go...............Faster
User avatar
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu 14.07.2005, 07:35
Location: Earth or there abouts

Postby Paul.P » Wed 20.02.2008, 22:57

LGM, did you take the old pads off, or do these fit over the top , as i thought they were welded on ?
JPS M100 was built from bare chassis up to create one off M100 in the mould of JPS Team Lotus
Paul.P
God
 
Posts: 4970
Joined: Sun 14.12.2003, 18:18
Location: Oakham, Rutland

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Wed 20.02.2008, 23:01

I took the rubber pads off the brake and clutch then drilled and tapped the metal pedal faces and installed the new ones,
Must....................Go...............Faster
User avatar
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu 14.07.2005, 07:35
Location: Earth or there abouts

Postby tigerdog » Wed 20.02.2008, 23:19

lotusgirlmarie wrote:Actually hockey skates.... was aching to go ice skating ...

Two weeks ago I went ice skating for the first time since I was 14. For me, the aching came afterwards!

Pedals look very good, Marie! Do they provide any more clearance between brake and accelerator than stock? Right now, I drive barefoot or wear shoes 1 size small in both width and length because of tight fit between brake and accel.
User avatar
tigerdog
God
 
Posts: 2715
Joined: Tue 20.03.2007, 09:07
Location: San Diego, CA, USA

Postby nitroman » Wed 20.02.2008, 23:29

lotusgirlmarie wrote:New Ultimate pedals from a Ferrari 355.
Has the Ferrari driver noticed they're missing?
User avatar
nitroman
Moderator
 
Posts: 3554
Joined: Fri 18.04.2003, 01:17
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Postby Ekapol » Thu 21.02.2008, 03:17

nitroman wrote:
lotusgirlmarie wrote:New Ultimate pedals from a Ferrari 355.
Has the Ferrari driver noticed they're missing?
:smt044
"Do or do not.... there is no try."

“Named must your fear be before banish it you can.” -- Yoda
User avatar
Ekapol
God
 
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon 19.06.2006, 21:55
Location: Sin City

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Thu 21.02.2008, 06:11

Tigerdog, have you thought about driving shoes? The clearance is about the same just the grip is better and they look and feel more like my old "ghini and the 355's and 550's ive driven.

Nitroman, not yet 8) but the night is young.

So now I have a new problem that just materialized in my driveway as I pulled in from a long day of flying. My clutch cable snapped!! Thank the stars it didn't happen while I was driving. I just pushed my car into the garage and popped the hood and had a feel on the cable.....loose. Pedal is to the floor and you can see a bit of cable still attached. Not good. So I've just finished my Burrito (that was good) and I'm off to see what I can do to remedy the situation. Good times, good times.
Must....................Go...............Faster
User avatar
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu 14.07.2005, 07:35
Location: Earth or there abouts

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Thu 21.02.2008, 07:22

Quick update. Yep it snapped!! 2 inches from the pedal. :shock: I'm going to call DBE tomorrow about a new one. If the either don't have it or if its ungodly exspensive (it is only a cable) I'll look into making my own. Pics to come soon.
Must....................Go...............Faster
User avatar
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu 14.07.2005, 07:35
Location: Earth or there abouts

Postby nitroman » Thu 21.02.2008, 16:53

LGM, I had one fray & bind on another FWD car. It never totally snapped but some of the wound strands snapped. For those not familiar it's like the spun cable on a suspension bridge, on a MUCH smaller scale. It's still the same design philosophy though, of having strength with dexterity.

I think if I'd have taken a motorcycle approach to lubing the cable it would never have frayed, but by the time I noticed a problem it was because a strand had already broken, so it was too late.

p.s. If you need an alibi RE the Ferrari thing, I'll say you were passed out drunk again!
User avatar
nitroman
Moderator
 
Posts: 3554
Joined: Fri 18.04.2003, 01:17
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Thu 21.02.2008, 17:21

$75 not great but not horrible.. It will be here tomorrow. One of the ends was pretty badly frayed. I could see wear marks on the cable as well. :roll: Oh well. at least it snapped at a place I could repair it.

On the pedal note, Ferrari or not, they're modified for the Lotus and lhey feel sooo good. Like sex for my feet :P
Must....................Go...............Faster
User avatar
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu 14.07.2005, 07:35
Location: Earth or there abouts

Postby tigerdog » Fri 22.02.2008, 07:09

lotusgirlmarie wrote:Tigerdog, have you thought about driving shoes?

Yep, thought about 'em but settled instead for a pair of Mitre indoor soccer shoes. My brother convinced me not to dye the swoopy stripe the same color as the car. Finest English styling, narrow enough to clear the pedals, nice leather to conform to my feet and $32 instead of $320! 8)

Bummer about the clutch cable. Please take photos for the wiki so I'll know how to fix Smaug's when his goes bye bye.
User avatar
tigerdog
God
 
Posts: 2715
Joined: Tue 20.03.2007, 09:07
Location: San Diego, CA, USA

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Car (Major)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests