Castle Combe - Saturday 23rd May 2009

Post and Discuss UK-related one-off events here.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Postby dapinky » Tue 20.05.2008, 19:10

Monty wrote:Far easyer to do the head gasket than swapping engines :? Go for the Lotus HG this time :wink:


I never like doing it the easy way though :D

Besides which, i was intending to do the swap this year at some time, then fully re-build the current (now knackered) engine before putting it back again!! It was starting to use oil, and with 135K on the clock, the bottom end could do with a going over.

I fully intend to use Lotus HG next time!!!!

Hence, I spent the afternoon waving a selection of spanners around under where the bonnet would have been if i hadn't removed it!!!!

Everything is disconected at the top - just got to get to the driveshafts now - then undo the positive cable to the starter/altenator then it's a quick lift and swap.

Only one question at this stage - how do i remove the speedo drive?? the big nut turns by hand, but is it attached to the cable (mine seems to be quite solid) or should it swivel??

Sorry for thread Hijack - i'll move this post to one of my others, which i will rename for this work in progress :roll:
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it


...oh, and a 2006 Freelander destined for the jungles of The Gambia - 4500 miles across roads, desert and tracks - what could possibly go wrong?
User avatar
dapinky
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 10613
Joined: Sun 15.10.2006, 12:54
Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Nige » Tue 20.05.2008, 19:23

Speedo drive at the gearbox end should be held in with a small clamping plate held in turn by a bolt that is tapped in the gearbox (Diff) casing. Actual speedo drive should just lift out once clamping plate is removed as all that holds it is an O ring which prevents oil loss.
Back in Blighty
User avatar
Nige
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 3030
Joined: Thu 10.07.2003, 19:04
Location: Dorset and Surrey

Postby texas2201 » Tue 20.05.2008, 19:53

1. Nige
2. Phil the surfer
3. Dave Pink
4. Paul W
5. Geoff
6. CJ?
7.
8. Angie
9. Spudpants
10. Sy
11. chris.t (if weather looks good) can bring weber style bbq too
12. rip
13. Dan, Dan Renovo Man
14. Blacknight
15. Gee0
16. texas2201
"brakes are no good - they just slow you down" Fangio :-)
User avatar
texas2201
God
 
Posts: 1379
Joined: Fri 30.06.2006, 17:24
Location: Boos Eifel Germany

Postby chris.t » Tue 20.05.2008, 21:00

If I do make it to CC, weather permitting shall i bring along burgers and buns etc to BBQ and charge £1.50 to swell the LEC coffers?
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
User avatar
chris.t
God
 
Posts: 3671
Joined: Mon 11.07.2005, 09:56
Location: Storrington, West Sussex

Postby paulwatkins » Wed 21.05.2008, 20:14

GeoffSmith wrote:4. Paul W
14. Blacknight

BOLLECKS: Do you want to meet up at mine and travel in convoy?


Geoff, I'm picking Iain up at 10am, could be at yours about 10.40.
What time were you planning to go? We could call in enroute.

If you're happy to go at this time, please PM me your postcode so that I can put it in the shatnav.
User avatar
paulwatkins
God
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Thu 13.04.2006, 08:54
Location: WsM, UK

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 21.05.2008, 22:59

It's a good job I don't know how to cull posts Pinky-the-thread-highjacker! :wink: Are you coming along anyway Dave?

I may have to drop Caryn at the Mall, so we could either meet somewhere near there or at home Paul. Did you say you had some splicers left? If so, could you bring one along?

Phil, are you coming from the East or the West?

Gerry, I'll pack my iron and inverter so we can do some soldering at CC. If you want to hook up before then (but not too early 'cause it's a Saturday after all) just let me know.

Sy, don't forget the laptop. I'll bring a stick full of fixes.

Nige, the disco lights are looking good.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby rip » Wed 21.05.2008, 23:28

GeoffSmith wrote:It's a good job I don't know how to cull posts Pinky-the-wannabe-East-Midlander! :wink:

:-D
1990 SE
User avatar
rip
God
 
Posts: 5905
Joined: Sun 08.04.2007, 07:48
Location: Milton Keynes, UK

Postby Nige » Thu 22.05.2008, 12:40

I will have an aerial for Rip and DVDs for Pinky and Spud, and I think I need some money for the final batch of Geordie bling (front Clamshell)? I think thats about it for me to take.

Looking forward to the Discotastic Geoff :D .
Back in Blighty
User avatar
Nige
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 3030
Joined: Thu 10.07.2003, 19:04
Location: Dorset and Surrey

Postby Sy V » Thu 22.05.2008, 13:53

Doors/windows are still in pieces.

Laptop for the Fiddler.
Payment to PW for the bonnet blanket things.
Image

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant

In Respectful Memory - 21st March 1959 - 14th February 2016
User avatar
Sy V
LEC Godfather
 
Posts: 5794
Joined: Mon 21.04.2003, 07:06
Location: Lydiate Ash, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire.

Postby paulwatkins » Thu 22.05.2008, 13:56

GeoffSmith wrote:I may have to drop Caryn at the Mall, so we could either meet somewhere near there or at home Paul. Did you say you had some splicers left? If so, could you bring one along?


Either The Mall or your place will be ok.

I'll check for the spare splicers - I'm sure theres some hidden away somewhere. I'll bring however many I find.
User avatar
paulwatkins
God
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Thu 13.04.2006, 08:54
Location: WsM, UK

Postby Sy V » Thu 22.05.2008, 13:58

I'm sure I've forgotten something else (apart from the price of the Bonnet Blankets, PW?).
Image

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant

In Respectful Memory - 21st March 1959 - 14th February 2016
User avatar
Sy V
LEC Godfather
 
Posts: 5794
Joined: Mon 21.04.2003, 07:06
Location: Lydiate Ash, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire.

Postby dapinky » Thu 22.05.2008, 17:19

GeoffSmith wrote: Are you coming along anyway Dave?


Have Vectra, will travel :wink:

I suppose i'll have to park somewhere a long way away, but so be it.

rip wrote: GeoffSmith wrote:
It's a good job I don't know how to cull posts Pinky-the-wannabe-East-Midlander!

:-D


Oi - get yer geography right - I'm a WEST midlander :-D :-D

I can only regret and aspire to be from the other side of the Great City.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it


...oh, and a 2006 Freelander destined for the jungles of The Gambia - 4500 miles across roads, desert and tracks - what could possibly go wrong?
User avatar
dapinky
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 10613
Joined: Sun 15.10.2006, 12:54
Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby surfboardfiller » Thu 22.05.2008, 19:43

GeoffSmith wrote:Phil, are you coming from the East or the West?




From the East. I shall be heading west along the M4 in my Land Rover! :roll:
User avatar
surfboardfiller
God
 
Posts: 2857
Joined: Sat 22.10.2005, 14:08
Location: Somerset - England

Postby Sy V » Fri 23.05.2008, 08:31

We may see some showers in the afternoon (over and above Pinky and Phil) if the weather forecast is to be believed.
Image

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant

In Respectful Memory - 21st March 1959 - 14th February 2016
User avatar
Sy V
LEC Godfather
 
Posts: 5794
Joined: Mon 21.04.2003, 07:06
Location: Lydiate Ash, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire.

Postby Monty » Fri 23.05.2008, 16:35

Have a good day tomo`s guys and don`t forget to have the cameras rolling on track :wink:
Image
User avatar
Monty
Chunder King!
 
Posts: 7977
Joined: Sun 11.01.2004, 22:32
Location: Leeds

Postby Sy V » Sat 24.05.2008, 17:55

Wowee, what a day and what glorious weather too.
It was really great to see everyone enjoying themselves in Castle Combe's special laid-back atmosphere. Pictures to follow shortly...
First of all just a quick test to see if the site will accept JPEG 2000 images:

Apparently not, so I'll just go and change things.

OK, let's try that... no still no good, it'll have to be .jpg then:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant

In Respectful Memory - 21st March 1959 - 14th February 2016
User avatar
Sy V
LEC Godfather
 
Posts: 5794
Joined: Mon 21.04.2003, 07:06
Location: Lydiate Ash, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire.

Postby Sy V » Sat 24.05.2008, 18:08

And a couple from the present generation:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant

In Respectful Memory - 21st March 1959 - 14th February 2016
User avatar
Sy V
LEC Godfather
 
Posts: 5794
Joined: Mon 21.04.2003, 07:06
Location: Lydiate Ash, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire.

Postby Sy V » Sat 24.05.2008, 18:13

OK on to the track:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant

In Respectful Memory - 21st March 1959 - 14th February 2016
User avatar
Sy V
LEC Godfather
 
Posts: 5794
Joined: Mon 21.04.2003, 07:06
Location: Lydiate Ash, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire.

Postby Sy V » Sat 24.05.2008, 18:19

An Arnold Trilogy...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant

In Respectful Memory - 21st March 1959 - 14th February 2016
User avatar
Sy V
LEC Godfather
 
Posts: 5794
Joined: Mon 21.04.2003, 07:06
Location: Lydiate Ash, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire.

Postby Sy V » Sat 24.05.2008, 18:26

A few of assorted interest...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant

In Respectful Memory - 21st March 1959 - 14th February 2016
User avatar
Sy V
LEC Godfather
 
Posts: 5794
Joined: Mon 21.04.2003, 07:06
Location: Lydiate Ash, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire.

PreviousNext

Return to Events - U.K.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Apple [Bot] and 3 guests