Now THAT'S a track day!

An area set aside for the planning of track days, discussions on circuits and to share your good and bad experiences of life in the fast lane.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Now THAT'S a track day!

Postby Elanlover » Mon 23.06.2008, 00:49

So, for Christmas I was fortunate enough to be rewarded for all the housework, grounds keeping, cleaning, etc. that I sometimes do around the house with a full day of driving a brand new, 2008 Van Diemen Formula car at the Bridgestone Racing Academy. All I can say is that there IS A GOD! :-D Oh, and a loving partner too :bowdown:

I'll post as many pics as people show interest in (we've got over 50, some videos AND the professional photographer will be sending a bunch along on CD too). This was as much fun as I can remember having in a very looong time. Of course, I had plenty of fun after we got home too :wink:

Let's start with some pics of the car.
Attachments
IMG_0794.JPG
A beautiful piece of machinery.
IMG_0794.JPG (61.36 KiB) Viewed 4754 times
IMG_0858.JPG
Good shot of the rear of my car! Something a lot of people saw! Muhahaha :twisted:
IMG_0858.JPG (54.02 KiB) Viewed 4754 times
IMG_0771.JPG
Here's the engine and gearbox. 170 bhp and about the same in torque in a car that weighs 900 pounds!
IMG_0771.JPG (71.11 KiB) Viewed 4754 times
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North

Postby Elanlover » Mon 23.06.2008, 00:58

Ok, now we've had a woefully short "training" class on taking corners, driving the line, blah, blah by the "Chief Instructor" who was perhaps half my age. For what it cost I half expected Mario Andretti to be making a guest appearance. :evil:
Attachments
IMG_0781.JPG
In my rented suit. They claim they wash them after every use. Twice if someone soils themselves. The duct tape was a nice touch.
IMG_0781.JPG (41.41 KiB) Viewed 4748 times
IMG_0782.JPG
Let me get this straight. You think I'll actually fit into THAT?
IMG_0782.JPG (51.52 KiB) Viewed 4751 times
IMG_0783.JPG
Ahh.................could you give me a hand here or do you just want to keep smiling??
IMG_0783.JPG (61.26 KiB) Viewed 4752 times
IMG_0784.JPG
I think this pic was taken 10 minutes after the last one. Still trying to get in!
IMG_0784.JPG (62.73 KiB) Viewed 4751 times
IMG_0862.JPG
Are you absolutely sure an adult human is supposed to fit into one of these things????
IMG_0862.JPG (49.47 KiB) Viewed 4751 times
IMG_0812.JPG
Uhhmmmmm..........guys? Which one's the gas again?
IMG_0812.JPG (37.79 KiB) Viewed 4751 times
IMG_0860.JPG
Finally ready to rock and roll! Oh yea, when you fill 'er up could you check the oil too, maybe get me a snickers bar from the concession stand?
IMG_0860.JPG (52.31 KiB) Viewed 4752 times
Last edited by Elanlover on Mon 23.06.2008, 02:11, edited 3 times in total.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North

Postby Elanlover » Mon 23.06.2008, 01:29

Ok, so we're off! Here's some good shots of the car (and me) on the track. Sadly, we had one casuality on the track this day as the gruesome pic below will attest too.
Attachments
IMG_0809.JPG
I know you think we're all beginners but I'm not sure about this human pylon thing. Oh well, you know guys best. Muhahahahah
IMG_0809.JPG (37.03 KiB) Viewed 4744 times
IMG_0848.JPG
Eat my pylons!
IMG_0848.JPG (43.81 KiB) Viewed 4749 times
IMG_0849.JPG
Now we're cookin'! No sign of my adversary in the rear view mirror. Lots of dead pylons around though.........
IMG_0849.JPG (40.62 KiB) Viewed 4749 times
IMG_0836.JPG
What happens when bug takes on man and machine travelling at 100 mph? Man kills bug dead! Damn thing stuck on so hard I had to Windex it off. Laughed for 3 laps though.
IMG_0836.JPG (27.28 KiB) Viewed 4749 times
Last edited by Elanlover on Mon 23.06.2008, 02:19, edited 1 time in total.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North

Postby Elanlover » Mon 23.06.2008, 01:55

One of the great things about this day is that we had a brief but heavy rain. So, we got to take a turn on a wet track and learn a thing or two about the difference between the "dry line" and the "wet line". Well, most of us did. In my group of 7 cars 4 people spun out - one guy twice. Not me though :-D The track dried up nicely right after so we had one last kick at the can on a dry track.
Attachments
IMG_0839.JPG
I thought it was cute how every car got its own little unbrella. I was expecting something a bit more substantial though - like a garage.
IMG_0839.JPG (67.22 KiB) Viewed 4742 times
IMG_0838.JPG
Uhhmmm..............is that water or did the last guy piss in thre seat?
IMG_0838.JPG (53.46 KiB) Viewed 4742 times
IMG_0840.JPG
Well the good news is that it only takes 5 minutes to get into the car when its wet.
IMG_0840.JPG (41.9 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
IMG_0842.JPG
This is frickin' embarrassing. Don't I get a pit crew or something to hold this thing for me while I sip Perrier?
IMG_0842.JPG (55.04 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
IMG_0843.JPG
Yea right, NOW you come over. Thanks for nothing pal. I'm going to find out which one of these you drive and piss in it myself.
IMG_0843.JPG (54.54 KiB) Viewed 4742 times
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North

Postby F1 LOTUS » Mon 23.06.2008, 01:59

I'm sure that's not the only bug you caught :D
Thanks for sharing, looks like too much fun. When you going to try an F1 car then?
User avatar
F1 LOTUS
God
 
Posts: 2199
Joined: Thu 17.04.2003, 18:17
Location: SoCal, USA

Postby Elanlover » Mon 23.06.2008, 02:06

Brian, I was absolutely giddy. It was an incredible rush. There's nothing like the feeling of having you're head snapped back - in 5th gear! These things were incredible. I've never felt that much torque in a car before and I was scared to death the first few laps. You know a car's got power to spare when your foot moves a bit because you just hit a bump and you suddenly need to upshift!

Its addictive all right.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North

Postby Foo » Mon 23.06.2008, 09:54

Brilliant pics :lol:
User avatar
Foo
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri 09.05.2008, 20:43

Postby Nige » Thu 26.06.2008, 20:20

It really is a blast, I've driven Formula Ford, Formula Palmer Audi and a few years ago for my 40th along with some old school mates F1, a 1994 Larousse (ex Eric Comas) to be precise. Estimate was we were hitting about 175MPH on the long back straight at Lurcy Levis (Danielson) in France. The circuit is south of Magny Cours (where we stayed) and is used as a test track.
Attachments
Dscf0010 small.jpg
Dscf0010 small.jpg (58.23 KiB) Viewed 4661 times
Back in Blighty
User avatar
Nige
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 3030
Joined: Thu 10.07.2003, 19:04
Location: Dorset and Surrey

Postby F1 LOTUS » Thu 26.06.2008, 21:40

Nice one Nige 8)
User avatar
F1 LOTUS
God
 
Posts: 2199
Joined: Thu 17.04.2003, 18:17
Location: SoCal, USA

Postby Elanlover » Thu 26.06.2008, 21:51

Very cool Nige. :smt023 I don't think I got much past about 120 or so on the back straight but when you sit that low to the ground it feels like warp speed.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North

Postby Nige » Fri 27.06.2008, 09:09

It was all very French, without any of the nanny health and safety stuff that pervades all we do in the UK these days. We had a detailed lecture on the importance of weight transfer and how to manage it through techniques such as trail braking (to keep the nose in). We were then driven around the circuit in a minibus without seats by one of the pro drivers to show where it went left and right and some idea of lines, this was the most dangerous part as he was quite quick the minibus rolled (leaned) heavily and we had to hang on. Then it was straight into the F1 car, circuit had been wet the previous day was damp to dry for us but the car stayed on inters (wets) as you can see, a reasonably high downforce setting, carbon/carbon brakes, traction control, sequential paddle shift and a 500BHP Ford HB V8 with no artificially low rev limit (tacho didn't read below about 7000RPM, as one of our wider group was told when he came in to complain it wasn't working). 9 laps and that was it, just thinking what to do for my 50th.
User avatar
Nige
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 3030
Joined: Thu 10.07.2003, 19:04
Location: Dorset and Surrey

Postby Elanlover » Sat 09.08.2008, 23:43

I've received the [hotographer's pictures in CD now and I think I'll post a few. Not because you need to see more pics of me but because he's done a pretty fine job of capturing some great shots. Guess there's a reason why he's the professional photographer and I'm not :roll:

Here's some of the car.
Attachments
IE2J0030.JPG
IE2J0030.JPG (46.3 KiB) Viewed 4442 times
IE2J0910.JPG
IE2J0910.JPG (46.99 KiB) Viewed 4442 times
IE2J0916.JPG
IE2J0916.JPG (48.04 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
IE2J0923.JPG
IE2J0923.JPG (52.88 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
IE2J0915.JPG
IE2J0915.JPG (34.91 KiB) Viewed 4442 times
AERIAL DDT MOSPORT.jpg
The Track.
(100.42 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North

Postby Elanlover » Sat 09.08.2008, 23:48

Here's some good lapping shots.
Attachments
IE2J1748.JPG
IE2J1748.JPG (45.79 KiB) Viewed 4437 times
IE2J1611.JPG
IE2J1611.JPG (45.32 KiB) Viewed 4437 times
IE2J0833.JPG
IE2J0833.JPG (51.95 KiB) Viewed 4437 times
IE2J0758.JPG
IE2J0758.JPG (48.97 KiB) Viewed 4437 times
IE2J0688.JPG
IE2J0688.JPG (50.18 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
IE2J1829.JPG
Here's one of the wet laps we did.
IE2J1829.JPG (51.9 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
IE2J0524.JPG
I thought I might let these guys push me around the track for a few laps. You know, give the foot a rest and all. After 3 laps they starting yelling somethign at me as you can see.....
IE2J0524.JPG (54.18 KiB) Viewed 4435 times
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North

Postby Elanlover » Sun 10.08.2008, 00:06

Ok, last few pics here.
Attachments
IE2J0867.JPG
IE2J0867.JPG (62.33 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
IE2J1544.JPG
This is the back straight. Doesn't look like it but we're all going 100mph for sure. I think i topped 110 on the last lap. Doesn't sound like much except that your ass is 3 inches off the ground.
IE2J1544.JPG (45.68 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
IE2J1091.JPG
Now, this is our good friend Dave. Good 'ole Dave decided to test the 3 strike rule by driving off the track twice. But sucking up a pylon into the rad then driving for 2 laps with it in there was his early ticket home.
IE2J1091.JPG (47.8 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
IE2J0693.JPG
Damn! They've got a drunk driving check HERE?
IE2J0693.JPG (62.86 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
IE2J0981.JPG
Note all the wife's and girlfriends dutifully snapping pics of their men driving around the track.........except mine of course.
IE2J0981.JPG (49.78 KiB) Viewed 4432 times
IE2J0009.JPG
Ok, I'll buy the first glass at Hethel for him who correctly identifies me.
IE2J0009.JPG (66.68 KiB) Viewed 4432 times
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 10.08.2008, 14:57

HELLO IM A BRAIN LESS CHIMP :twisted:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby Jackonicko » Sun 10.08.2008, 22:01

The one with the duct tape, orangey sleeves and helmet under arm ......

and all the other visual clues from earlier pics...

Doh!
Jackonicko
 

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 10.08.2008, 22:54

Elanlover wrote:Ok, I'll buy the first glass at Hethel for him who correctly identifies me.


:beer:

Image

Easy! :-D
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby Elanlover » Mon 11.08.2008, 00:37

Jackonicko wrote:The one with the duct tape, orangey sleeves and helmet under arm ......

and all the other visual clues from earlier pics...

Doh!


Damn! Shoulda' thought of that. Oh well, how much can a glass of water cost in jolly old England?

:wink:
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North

Postby Jackonicko » Mon 11.08.2008, 00:56

Special water......
Jackonicko
 

Postby Elanlover » Mon 11.08.2008, 03:19

Jackonicko wrote:Special water......


:lol: A glass of special water it is then!
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North


Return to Circuits & Track Days

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest