An area set aside for the planning of track days, discussions on circuits and to share your good and bad experiences of life in the fast lane.
Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith
by Elanlover » Mon 23.06.2008, 00:49
So, for Christmas I was fortunate enough to be rewarded for all the housework, grounds keeping, cleaning, etc. that I sometimes do around the house with a full day of driving a brand new, 2008 Van Diemen Formula car at the Bridgestone Racing Academy. All I can say is that there IS A GOD!

Oh, and a loving partner too
I'll post as many pics as people show interest in (we've got over 50, some videos AND the professional photographer will be sending a bunch along on CD too). This was as much fun as I can remember having in a very looong time. Of course, I had plenty of fun after we got home too
Let's start with some pics of the car.
- Attachments
-

- A beautiful piece of machinery.
- IMG_0794.JPG (61.36 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
-

- Good shot of the rear of my car! Something a lot of people saw! Muhahaha :twisted:
- IMG_0858.JPG (54.02 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
-

- Here's the engine and gearbox. 170 bhp and about the same in torque in a car that weighs 900 pounds!
- IMG_0771.JPG (71.11 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
-

Elanlover
- Moderator
-
- Posts: 3513
- Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
- Location: The Great White North
-

Elanlover
- Moderator
-
- Posts: 3513
- Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
- Location: The Great White North
by Elanlover » Mon 23.06.2008, 01:29
Ok, so we're off! Here's some good shots of the car (and me) on the track. Sadly, we had one casuality on the track this day as the gruesome pic below will attest too.
- Attachments
-

- I know you think we're all beginners but I'm not sure about this human pylon thing. Oh well, you know guys best. Muhahahahah
- IMG_0809.JPG (37.03 KiB) Viewed 4740 times
-

- Eat my pylons!
- IMG_0848.JPG (43.81 KiB) Viewed 4745 times
-

- Now we're cookin'! No sign of my adversary in the rear view mirror. Lots of dead pylons around though.........
- IMG_0849.JPG (40.62 KiB) Viewed 4745 times
-

- What happens when bug takes on man and machine travelling at 100 mph? Man kills bug dead! Damn thing stuck on so hard I had to Windex it off. Laughed for 3 laps though.
- IMG_0836.JPG (27.28 KiB) Viewed 4745 times
Last edited by
Elanlover on Mon 23.06.2008, 02:19, edited 1 time in total.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
-

Elanlover
- Moderator
-
- Posts: 3513
- Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
- Location: The Great White North
-

Elanlover
- Moderator
-
- Posts: 3513
- Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
- Location: The Great White North
by F1 LOTUS » Mon 23.06.2008, 01:59
I'm sure that's not the only bug you caught
Thanks for sharing, looks like too much fun. When you going to try an F1 car then?
-

F1 LOTUS
- God
-
- Posts: 2199
- Joined: Thu 17.04.2003, 18:17
- Location: SoCal, USA
by Elanlover » Mon 23.06.2008, 02:06
Brian, I was absolutely giddy. It was an incredible rush. There's nothing like the feeling of having you're head snapped back - in 5th gear! These things were incredible. I've never felt that much torque in a car before and I was scared to death the first few laps. You know a car's got power to spare when your foot moves a bit because you just hit a bump and you suddenly need to upshift!
Its addictive all right.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
-

Elanlover
- Moderator
-
- Posts: 3513
- Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
- Location: The Great White North
by Foo » Mon 23.06.2008, 09:54
Brilliant pics

-

Foo
- Enthusiast
-
- Posts: 149
- Joined: Fri 09.05.2008, 20:43
by Nige » Thu 26.06.2008, 20:20
It really is a blast, I've driven Formula Ford, Formula Palmer Audi and a few years ago for my 40th along with some old school mates F1, a 1994 Larousse (ex Eric Comas) to be precise. Estimate was we were hitting about 175MPH on the long back straight at Lurcy Levis (Danielson) in France. The circuit is south of Magny Cours (where we stayed) and is used as a test track.
- Attachments
-

- Dscf0010 small.jpg (58.23 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
Back in Blighty
-

Nige
- LEC Administrator
-
- Posts: 3030
- Joined: Thu 10.07.2003, 19:04
- Location: Dorset and Surrey
by F1 LOTUS » Thu 26.06.2008, 21:40
Nice one Nige

-

F1 LOTUS
- God
-
- Posts: 2199
- Joined: Thu 17.04.2003, 18:17
- Location: SoCal, USA
by Elanlover » Thu 26.06.2008, 21:51
Very cool Nige.

I don't think I got much past about 120 or so on the back straight but when you sit that low to the ground it feels like warp speed.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
-

Elanlover
- Moderator
-
- Posts: 3513
- Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
- Location: The Great White North
by Nige » Fri 27.06.2008, 09:09
It was all very French, without any of the nanny health and safety stuff that pervades all we do in the UK these days. We had a detailed lecture on the importance of weight transfer and how to manage it through techniques such as trail braking (to keep the nose in). We were then driven around the circuit in a minibus without seats by one of the pro drivers to show where it went left and right and some idea of lines, this was the most dangerous part as he was quite quick the minibus rolled (leaned) heavily and we had to hang on. Then it was straight into the F1 car, circuit had been wet the previous day was damp to dry for us but the car stayed on inters (wets) as you can see, a reasonably high downforce setting, carbon/carbon brakes, traction control, sequential paddle shift and a 500BHP Ford HB V8 with no artificially low rev limit (tacho didn't read below about 7000RPM, as one of our wider group was told when he came in to complain it wasn't working). 9 laps and that was it, just thinking what to do for my 50th.
-

Nige
- LEC Administrator
-
- Posts: 3030
- Joined: Thu 10.07.2003, 19:04
- Location: Dorset and Surrey
-

Elanlover
- Moderator
-
- Posts: 3513
- Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
- Location: The Great White North
-

Elanlover
- Moderator
-
- Posts: 3513
- Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
- Location: The Great White North
-

Elanlover
- Moderator
-
- Posts: 3513
- Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
- Location: The Great White North
by GeoffSmith » Sun 10.08.2008, 14:57
HELLO IM A BRAIN LESS CHIMP

Calypso Red S2 #417
USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
-

GeoffSmith
- Kitty Fiddler
-
- Posts: 15628
- Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
- Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire
-
by Jackonicko » Sun 10.08.2008, 22:01
The one with the duct tape, orangey sleeves and helmet under arm ......
and all the other visual clues from earlier pics...
Doh!
-
Jackonicko
-
by GeoffSmith » Sun 10.08.2008, 22:54
Elanlover wrote:Ok, I'll buy the first glass at Hethel for him who correctly identifies me.
Easy!

Calypso Red S2 #417
USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
-

GeoffSmith
- Kitty Fiddler
-
- Posts: 15628
- Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
- Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire
-
by Elanlover » Mon 11.08.2008, 00:37
Jackonicko wrote:The one with the duct tape, orangey sleeves and helmet under arm ......
and all the other visual clues from earlier pics...
Doh!
Damn! Shoulda' thought of that. Oh well, how much can a glass of water cost in jolly old England?

I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
-

Elanlover
- Moderator
-
- Posts: 3513
- Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
- Location: The Great White North
by Jackonicko » Mon 11.08.2008, 00:56
Special water......
-
Jackonicko
-
by Elanlover » Mon 11.08.2008, 03:19
Jackonicko wrote:Special water......

A glass of special water it is then!
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
-

Elanlover
- Moderator
-
- Posts: 3513
- Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
- Location: The Great White North
Return to Circuits & Track Days
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest