Airfield Driving day

An area set aside for the planning of track days, discussions on circuits and to share your good and bad experiences of life in the fast lane.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Postby surfboardfiller » Wed 13.08.2008, 13:56

Is there an echo in here?
User avatar
surfboardfiller
God
 
Posts: 2857
Joined: Sat 22.10.2005, 14:08
Location: Somerset - England

Postby Specky » Thu 14.08.2008, 08:28

PM sent

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
User avatar
Specky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5982
Joined: Sun 07.09.2003, 23:19
Location: Swindon

Postby surfboardfiller » Sat 23.08.2008, 16:02

I can't attend tomorrow if there is anyone who wants to take my place. It's a shame as it looks like a good day with only 30 cars. :roll:
User avatar
surfboardfiller
God
 
Posts: 2857
Joined: Sat 22.10.2005, 14:08
Location: Somerset - England

Postby chris.t » Sat 23.08.2008, 18:27

surferphil wrote:I can't attend tomorrow if there is anyone who wants to take my place. It's a shame as it looks like a good day with only 30 cars. :roll:

Just spoken to Dave and decided the tyres can take it. So i owe you some dosh mate me thinks
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
User avatar
chris.t
God
 
Posts: 3671
Joined: Mon 11.07.2005, 09:56
Location: Storrington, West Sussex

Postby Specky » Sun 24.08.2008, 18:13

What a day... :-D

One poorly car now... :(

I'll write a bit after dinner,

A big thank you to Neil...

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
User avatar
Specky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5982
Joined: Sun 07.09.2003, 23:19
Location: Swindon

Postby Jackonicko » Sun 24.08.2008, 18:23

You're OK getting where you need to be, though Speckers?
Jackonicko
 

Postby chris.t » Sun 24.08.2008, 18:46

Just got back and i'm absolutely knackered. If it wasn't for poor old Dave's car failing him I would say it was a great day. Started off a bit wet and slippy but everyone was taking it easy. Second session and the track had dried. This is when Dave discovered that his gearbox was next to useless. I'll let him explain all about it though.

The track had a good layout with some tricky corners to master. Like all airfield tracks the surface can be variable but by and large it wasn't bad. One bad bash to a pug 205, driven by a young lady who alledgedly was trying to master trail braking :roll:

Dave really hope you get the car fixed for Hethel but more importantly how was the chinese?

Cheers Chris

PS put me down for next year.
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
User avatar
chris.t
God
 
Posts: 3671
Joined: Mon 11.07.2005, 09:56
Location: Storrington, West Sussex

Postby Specky » Sun 24.08.2008, 19:04

chris.t wrote:PS put me down for next year.


If you were a horse I'd oblige... :wink:

Chris,

just chatted to Nigel...(The photgraph bloke)...

Email him on his yahoo address and he will give you access to your pics...




Expert class for you next year.... :wink:

Just to see if there's a shear look of horror again after being placed in the intermidate group...


The Chineese was brilliant... I just need to find a good chinky in Swindon..

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
User avatar
Specky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5982
Joined: Sun 07.09.2003, 23:19
Location: Swindon

Re: Airfield Driving day

Postby Specky » Sun 24.08.2008, 21:45

Well what can I say about the day...

First the car performed brilliant.... (too a point)

For a 20 year old car she can still hold her own... 8)

I guess Lotus weren't sharing what they were smoking when they designed her...

A big pat on the back for Pagid blue... loads of brake debris thou... :shock: It looks like swarf... :shock:

Toyo 888 rubber were very adequate... Still managed a power slide at 90 MPH...



So on to the trials and tribulations...

approaching a hairpin at about 110...(It's my Speedo and I like it) slapped on the brakes and tried to change down... nothing... it was jammed solid... :shock:

Got spat out the other side of the hair pin…. in tank slapper...what did I expect coasting... eventually I came to a halt way off the racing line...

Had another go at getting a gear... I eventually got first... pedal to the floor, past the pit lane and then realised.... I couldn't get anything else...(Bugger)

Nursed her back to the pits...

checked her over...

cables fine...

Gear stick + linkage fine...

Chat to Neil Nright…(Many thanks)

Disconnected the clutch cable and mounting bracket...

undid the mounting bolts on the gear selector... gave it wiggle and FREE..

Chris laid down the law... Build it 10 minutes and make the final session..

I'm glad I'm not Chris's mechanic... :lol:





Anyway...Job done... :-D

final check of gear selection prior to going on track...Buggeration, It’s done it again... :twisted:

So has any one else had this problem with gear selection..

Neil have you got a picture of the selector... :wink:

So that was the day that was

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
User avatar
Specky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5982
Joined: Sun 07.09.2003, 23:19
Location: Swindon

Re: Airfield Driving day

Postby Specky » Sun 24.08.2008, 21:47

I feel a favor coming on...

TTFN
Last edited by Specky on Mon 25.08.2008, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
User avatar
Specky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5982
Joined: Sun 07.09.2003, 23:19
Location: Swindon

Re: Airfield Driving day

Postby chris.t » Sun 24.08.2008, 21:55

Dave do me a favour and thank all the guys who organised such a great day. This includes all the marshalls who did a really professsonal job.
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
User avatar
chris.t
God
 
Posts: 3671
Joined: Mon 11.07.2005, 09:56
Location: Storrington, West Sussex

Re: Airfield Driving day

Postby Specky » Sat 20.09.2008, 12:25

Here's a few pics of me on the day giving it the beans...

Guess who's got stock suspension... :shock:

TTFN
Attachments
TD 1.jpg
(56.36 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
TD 2.jpg
(54.68 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
TD 3.jpg
(55.38 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
User avatar
Specky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5982
Joined: Sun 07.09.2003, 23:19
Location: Swindon

Re: Airfield Driving day

Postby chris.t » Sat 20.09.2008, 20:27

Yes it was a bit wet judging by TD1. The body roll looks pretty typical on a stock car, got a few photos like that of my car. It's quite hard work bracing yourself in the car and the seats that Monty has put in his car must be a great advantage. Its a shame about the g/b Dave but hopefully there will be another event next year which you will be able to enjoy. The photos aren't the best tbh but are better than nought.

Here's a picture of me, just a tad less body roll but then the suspension is set quite hard and the car has been lowered quite significantly.
Image
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
User avatar
chris.t
God
 
Posts: 3671
Joined: Mon 11.07.2005, 09:56
Location: Storrington, West Sussex

Re: Airfield Driving day

Postby Specky » Sat 13.06.2009, 17:36

Here's a little bit on the final amount of cash raised and what happened, just gloss over the Lotus Elan bit... :roll:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/RAFbenson/newswea ... FE7630B061

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
User avatar
Specky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5982
Joined: Sun 07.09.2003, 23:19
Location: Swindon

Re: Airfield Driving day

Postby chris.t » Sat 13.06.2009, 18:43

A handy sum for the cause. I hope you pointed out that you didn't lose all drive. It was a good day albeit wet. I know we talked about it at Donny but has there been any change of mind about having a repeat?
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
User avatar
chris.t
God
 
Posts: 3671
Joined: Mon 11.07.2005, 09:56
Location: Storrington, West Sussex

Re: Airfield Driving day

Postby Specky » Sat 13.06.2009, 18:49

I honestly don't know as I've not been there for a while, but I'll do some research...

But if not.... I have a plan for next year...

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
User avatar
Specky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5982
Joined: Sun 07.09.2003, 23:19
Location: Swindon

Previous

Return to Circuits & Track Days

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests