| Home | WikiLEC | Repairs | Upgrades | Gallery | Buy & Sell | Mountain Chips | Meets & Events | Contact |
|
Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith
Freelander wrote:I recently completed the replacement of both tie rod ends using the part nos referenced. The difference in horizontal length is not a problem as it is accomodated in the tracking adjustment. I did not measure the difference in vertical height but I would anticipate that would be due to wear. I agree that full tracking (and laser alignment) is an important check and should be carried out by a reputable garage.
bobbrown wrote:
If the track rod end sits 6mm higher then this has the same effect of moving the pivot position.
So the QH track rod will effect the bump steer by how much I do not know as it would need to be measured to see.
GeoffSmith wrote:Dave, when you say 'earlier Elan' I presume the shims are used in the prehistoric Elan and not the M100?
bobbrown wrote:... if the track rod end was a rose joint...To adjust the bump steer you move the position of the rose joint relative to the steering arm either up or down by shimming the rose joint.
GeoffSmith wrote:With reference to Bob's pictures, I think that you're effectively moving the centre of the outer track rod joint by ~1cm. Given the distance between the upper and lower ball joints is only ~30cm, I still think the difference is going to be significant.
bobbrown wrote:Ok the term shim may not have been the best wording if you want the other way then spacer if you prefer.
bobbrown wrote:I do not think the simple drawing works very well ... you cannot take a simple view of two arcs!!!!!
bobbrown wrote:Let's not forget the track rod end pivot point is the ball not the tapered bit if that what is shown in the previous posts drawing.
bobbrown/ Internet wrote:Cause of bumpsteer:
The front wheels do not move directly straight up or down when the car hits a bump. Instead, the wheel follows an arc, or curving path, that pushes the wheel slightly inward (towards the centerline of the car) or outward (away from the car) in response to vertical wheel movement. The outer tie-rod (which connects the steering rack to the wheel) also moves in-and-out in an arc as it moves up and down. If the rate which the outer tie-rod arcs in or out does not match the rate the wheel moves in or out, the wheel will be turned by the tie-rod. This is bumpsteer.
Return to Suspension and Brakes
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests