Track rod ends

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Track rod ends

Postby Specky » Sun 26.10.2008, 23:52

Personally I wouldn't touch them :shock:

but it's only my opinion, I used to change several of those a week due the poor design... The later versions which have ceramic coated bearings are much better..but they tend to chip and after a while they too turn into a babies rattle...

but what to use as a replacement is the question..

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
User avatar
Specky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5982
Joined: Sun 07.09.2003, 23:19
Location: Swindon

Re: Track rod ends

Postby bobbrown » Mon 27.10.2008, 00:00

Specky wrote:Personally I wouldn't touch them :shock:

but it's only my opinion, I used to change several of those a week due the poor design... The later versions which have ceramic coated bearings are much better..but they tend to chip and after a while they too turn into a babies rattle...

but what to use as a replacement is the question..

TTFN


I have used steel on steel ones in the past with very few problems, but have seen the ones with surface coating end up as you say babies rattles.
Steel on steel does not suffer these proplems as they are much the same as what is on the inside of the standard TRE.
Just knew it was going to get some sort of comment!
Pacific Blue N/A
" When you’re up to your arse in alligators, it’s difficult to remember that the object of the exercise is to drain the swamp"
please use email for correspondence
User avatar
bobbrown
God
 
Posts: 2804
Joined: Wed 10.05.2006, 12:51
Location: North Essex

Re: Track rod ends

Postby Specky » Mon 27.10.2008, 00:24

bobbrown wrote:
Specky wrote:Personally I wouldn't touch them :shock:

but it's only my opinion, I used to change several of those a week due the poor design... The later versions which have ceramic coated bearings are much better..but they tend to chip and after a while they too turn into a babies rattle...

but what to use as a replacement is the question..

TTFN


I have used steel on steel ones in the past with very few problems, but have seen the ones with surface coating end up as you say babies rattles.
Steel on steel does not suffer these proplems as they are much the same as what is on the inside of the standard TRE.
Just knew it was going to get some sort of comment!


I suppose it's my personal hatered of these eye ends...

I've spent hours,days or accumatively months doing bloomin DTI checks.... (axial,longitudinal and then radial checks) just because the steel ones failed so fast...

I used to give them to our training department when the were out of limits, but they've now got so many they just get thrown...

Then again if I could design a better system I wouldn't be going to work at 6 in the morning...

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
User avatar
Specky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5982
Joined: Sun 07.09.2003, 23:19
Location: Swindon

Re: Track rod ends

Postby bobbrown » Mon 27.10.2008, 00:31

Most rod ends have a bearing surface that fail very quickly in this sort of application.
The ones I have used in the past are of hardened steel and no other material is involved in their construction so apart from wear there is nothing to fail and they are stronger than the compnents they are attached to.
I have done several event in Ireland on this type without changing one.
Pacific Blue N/A
" When you’re up to your arse in alligators, it’s difficult to remember that the object of the exercise is to drain the swamp"
please use email for correspondence
User avatar
bobbrown
God
 
Posts: 2804
Joined: Wed 10.05.2006, 12:51
Location: North Essex

Re: Track rod ends

Postby Specky » Mon 27.10.2008, 00:53

bobbrown wrote:Most rod ends have a bearing surface that fail very quickly in this sort of application.
The ones I have used in the past are of hardened steel and no other material is involved in their construction so apart from wear there is nothing to fail and they are stronger than the compnents they are attached to.


I'll bring several up to Hethel so people can see what I'm on about...( Full hardened steel eye ends that have in the worst case popped the gages and badly worn ceramic)

It's an intresting thread that people could do with something to see and touch... It's a shame photo's can't get the issues accross...

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
User avatar
Specky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5982
Joined: Sun 07.09.2003, 23:19
Location: Swindon

Re: Track rod ends

Postby bobbrown » Mon 27.10.2008, 00:57

The rod ends I am talking about are made from two parts only, no cages, no ceramic, no brass, not ptfe, nothing just two bits of steel.
Pacific Blue N/A
" When you’re up to your arse in alligators, it’s difficult to remember that the object of the exercise is to drain the swamp"
please use email for correspondence
User avatar
bobbrown
God
 
Posts: 2804
Joined: Wed 10.05.2006, 12:51
Location: North Essex

Re: Track rod ends

Postby Specky » Mon 27.10.2008, 07:50

bobbrown wrote:The rod ends I am talking about are made from two parts only, no cages, no ceramic, no brass, not ptfe, nothing just two bits of steel.


That could be the difference...

Could you post a pic as I have never seen a two piece steel eye-end

We use two types...

One is 99.9% identical as per your picture... Three pieces (may be more, I'm not sure If it's a one piece Gage)... Eye end,inner and outer bearing which are pressed as an assembly into the eye end...

The other is exactly the same but a ceramic coated bearing...

I'll take a picture today, but it will be in situ...

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
User avatar
Specky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5982
Joined: Sun 07.09.2003, 23:19
Location: Swindon

Re: Track rod ends

Postby bobbrown » Mon 27.10.2008, 09:25

Some thing like these but the ones we used in the past you could remove the ball as it had two slots in the housing such that if you rotated the ball 90 degrees you could remove it.
These have no inner bearing material to get smashed out of the rod end which is what happens to four piece rod ends in this application.
rod end.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pacific Blue N/A
" When you’re up to your arse in alligators, it’s difficult to remember that the object of the exercise is to drain the swamp"
please use email for correspondence
User avatar
bobbrown
God
 
Posts: 2804
Joined: Wed 10.05.2006, 12:51
Location: North Essex

Re: Track rod ends

Postby Specky » Mon 27.10.2008, 22:43

A stroke of luck... I had to disconect some today... :D

It was a shame I did n't have to remove the ends thou..

These are few shots of two different eye ends we use, they are of the stainless steel ceramic coated varient, the stainless steel ones are quite rare due to the affor mentioned wear...

There's a few thou wear on these, but nothing to write home about, well within limits... The apparent wear is just brown staining on the coating.. a quirk of ceramic I guess..

Apologises for the quality of the pics but the camera isn't great...

TTFN
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
User avatar
Specky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5982
Joined: Sun 07.09.2003, 23:19
Location: Swindon

Re: Track rod ends

Postby Specky » Mon 27.10.2008, 23:00

Just found this on tinters...(This is my day job)

Bear in mind we changed from steel to ceramic

http://www.skf.com/portal/skf_gb/home/s ... tId=081366

http://evolution.skf.com/zino.aspx?articleID=14875

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
User avatar
Specky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5982
Joined: Sun 07.09.2003, 23:19
Location: Swindon

Re: Track rod ends

Postby Freelander » Mon 03.11.2008, 12:05

Response received from ZF - Lemforder - TRE part number.

On our central database we do not list any parts for Elans, only for the Elise, Exige and Esprit models. It's possible that this part was supplied to Adwest but the vehicle it was used for was not registered and therefore cannot be tracked using the vehicle model. I cannot find a match to the supplier trade mark number either, it's possible this is Adwest's mark rather than a Lemförder one. For these reasons I have forwarded your drawing to my colleagues at factories in the UK and Germany, in the hope they can identify the part dimensionally. Unfortunately, this may take a while.
Once I have a response from them I will come back to you.


Can anyone confirm the TREs used for other Lotus models?
Otherwise, lets hope that part number / supplier can be identified.
1990 SE Turbo - Silver - Work in Progress (Slowly)
'Go slow now - go fast later'
User avatar
Freelander
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat 12.05.2007, 20:55
Location: Llanelli, South Wales

Re: Track rod ends

Postby GeoffSmith » Mon 03.11.2008, 14:10

Nice work. :smt023 Fingers crossed.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Re: Track rod ends

Postby RayD » Wed 05.11.2008, 17:17

In conjunction with John (Freelander), while he was contacting ZF – Lemforder I asked Quinton Hazel what the possibilities were of having some made using the QR1785S VW track rod end with a modified 1 in 6 centre spindle....

Hi Ray,

Sorry for the delay in replying to you.

I have passed on your inquiry to the Product Manager - Steering & Suspension

Unfortunately, we normally work on a minimum batch quantity of 500+ for manufacturing purposes.

However, we are still trying to find alternative sources for the tie rod end and Ian will contact you if successful.


Ray
User avatar
RayD
Forum Member
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Mon 20.03.2006, 19:45
Location: South Yorkshire

Re: Track rod ends

Postby RayD » Mon 24.11.2008, 10:35

Update...

Not yet, Ray. I've reminded our supplier about it a few times but to no avail. They have confirmed that it is one of theirs but are struggling to identify it. We are expecting a visit from them tomorrow so I will broach the subject once again.

Regards

Ian Boyle
Product manager
Steering & Suspension Products


Ray
User avatar
RayD
Forum Member
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Mon 20.03.2006, 19:45
Location: South Yorkshire

Re: Track rod ends

Postby Freelander » Mon 24.11.2008, 23:09

Update: ZF-Lemforder

Your enquiry has been passed to me by Alan Clarke - I'm the product manager for Lemförder steering & suspension.
On our central database we do not list any parts for Elans, only for the Elise, Exige and Esprit models. It's possible that this part was supplied to Adwest but the vehicle it was used for was not registered and therefore cannot be tracked using the vehicle model. I cannot find a match to the supplier trade mark number either, it's possible this is Adwest's mark rather than a Lemförder one. For these reasons I have forwarded your drawing to my colleagues at factories in the UK and Germany, in the hope they can identify the part dimensionally. Unfortunately, this may take a while.
Once I have a response from them I will come back to you. If you have any questions or additional information in the meantime please contact me.
Kind regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Sam. Butterworth BA (Hons)
Senior Product Manager


Ray, do we have the full drawing or original drawing number / any further information?
1990 SE Turbo - Silver - Work in Progress (Slowly)
'Go slow now - go fast later'
User avatar
Freelander
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat 12.05.2007, 20:55
Location: Llanelli, South Wales

Re: Track rod ends

Postby Freelander » Mon 24.11.2008, 23:28

Just found this following email in my junk mail

My contacts in Germany say that the drawing supplied is not a complete drawing. Apparently, they recognise it as a Lemförder drawing (how I'm not sure) but the essential bit that would identify the part is missing. Do you have anything more than the detail supplied with your original query? For internal purposes we have engineering numbers in the format xxx xxx xxx xxx. Alternatively, do you have access to one of the ball joints, if so could you give me descriptions of any markings or codes on it. A genuine Lemförder will have a triangle symbol marked into the end cap. The bellows having a triangle symbol doesn't mean that the complete unit is Lemförder as we supply bellows to fellow OE manufacturing companies.
Might I also ask if you have placed this enquiry with other companies? QH have approached us for the same part with the same drawing.
Kind regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Sam. Butterworth BA (Hons)
Product Manager - Lemförder / Produkt Manager - Lemförder


Ray, I will respond and let him know that the two enquiries are from the same origin. I have an original Lemforder TRE (with triangle symbol) and will take photos to verify. The full drawing or drawing number would be very useful.

John
1990 SE Turbo - Silver - Work in Progress (Slowly)
'Go slow now - go fast later'
User avatar
Freelander
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat 12.05.2007, 20:55
Location: Llanelli, South Wales

Re: Track rod ends

Postby GeoffSmith » Mon 24.11.2008, 23:59

I have a brand new Lotus one in front of me - there is a triangle (with a penguin or barrel inside?) and the number 24 and the letters HFC. The rubber boot has the codes 022 000 046 012, 03012, 250 104 & 1-7.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Re: Track rod ends

Postby RayD » Tue 25.11.2008, 13:17

Thanks John, Geoff,

As Ken (Readit) supplied the original, he may be best placed to identify the full drawing. I’ll send him a PM.

Ray
User avatar
RayD
Forum Member
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Mon 20.03.2006, 19:45
Location: South Yorkshire

Re: Track rod ends

Postby Readit » Mon 22.12.2008, 00:41

Sorry I have not replied sooner I have been busy lately. Unfortnately I have no further details of the Adwest Engineering drawing , it was e-mailed to me and passed on in the same form. Here are pics of the marks on an OEM part.
stamp1.jpg
stamp2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All the best plans are flexible, Lotus use Sicaflex.
User avatar
Readit
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun 22.05.2005, 20:06
Location: UK

Re: Track rod ends

Postby RayD » Mon 22.12.2008, 10:29

Thank you Ken,

Ray
User avatar
RayD
Forum Member
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Mon 20.03.2006, 19:45
Location: South Yorkshire

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension and Brakes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests