What Track Days are you doing in 2009?

An area set aside for the planning of track days, discussions on circuits and to share your good and bad experiences of life in the fast lane.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: What Track Days are you doing in 2009?

Postby trig » Sat 20.12.2008, 00:32

dapinky is this your Dolly the blue one I've seen speeding around combe? 8)
this one behind my Saab Image
User avatar
trig
Fanatic
 
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed 13.08.2008, 19:37
Location: Bristol

Re: What Track Days are you doing in 2009?

Postby GeoffSmith » Sat 20.12.2008, 00:50

Pinky's isn't as refined or tidy as that one - it's a yellow shed on wheels.

Trig, I'm no expert on track days and things, but I reckon you'd go a bit faster if you took those skis out of the sun roof! 8)
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Re: What Track Days are you doing in 2009?

Postby trig » Sat 20.12.2008, 00:53

:lol: :lol:
User avatar
trig
Fanatic
 
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed 13.08.2008, 19:37
Location: Bristol

Re: What Track Days are you doing in 2009?

Postby dapinky » Sat 20.12.2008, 12:23

Geoff - you're right, mine is a shed...........wanna race?.....lets have a few quid on it....... :twisted:


Trig,

That blue one belongs to a guy from Hampshire called Jon Jackson......it has a mildly uprated engine (about 160bhp) and is otherwise standard with the notable exception that he is the Dolomite version of Bob Brown and designed a braking system using ford sierra/escort/onion vented discs and calipers to run in a standard Triumph wheel.

The standard brakes are best discribed as 'marginal' for a 130bhp car, let alone a track machine with over 200 (which i why i never complain or criticise the elan brakes - they seem fine to me!) - at Castle Combe it is all about braking, with the uprated brakes my times came down a hell of a lot (about 8 seconds a lap) as i can leave the braking until where it should be, not where i had to start to make sure i could get out the other side of the chicane.
1.jpg
1.jpg (40.03 KiB) Viewed 2944 times

restoration dtr165k 099.jpg
restoration dtr165k 099.jpg (107.81 KiB) Viewed 2941 times

restoration dtr165k 100.jpg
restoration dtr165k 100.jpg (95.82 KiB) Viewed 2943 times

restoration dtr165k 102.jpg
restoration dtr165k 102.jpg (84.16 KiB) Viewed 2942 times
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it


...oh, and a 2006 Freelander destined for the jungles of The Gambia - 4500 miles across roads, desert and tracks - what could possibly go wrong?
User avatar
dapinky
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 10613
Joined: Sun 15.10.2006, 12:54
Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Re: What Track Days are you doing in 2009?

Postby chris.t » Sat 20.12.2008, 15:55

Did Brands Hatch yesterday, fantastic day made even better with the great weather. Just booked Goodwood for first saturday in May.
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
User avatar
chris.t
God
 
Posts: 3671
Joined: Mon 11.07.2005, 09:56
Location: Storrington, West Sussex

Re: What Track Days are you doing in 2009?

Postby paulwatkins » Sat 20.12.2008, 21:15

chris.t wrote:Did Brands Hatch yesterday, fantastic day made even better with the great weather. Just booked Goodwood for first saturday in May.


What car did you do it in Chris?
User avatar
paulwatkins
God
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Thu 13.04.2006, 08:54
Location: WsM, UK

Re: What Track Days are you doing in 2009?

Postby trig » Sat 20.12.2008, 21:19

Brands Hatch in December :shock: 8)
Is the Elan any good as a track hack? as this is hopefully my intention
How bad are the brakes on the Elan :?: as I was thinking of doing a track session on standard'ish brakes or should I sort the brakes before I go near a track


dapinky , thats no shed 8) I love the old sleepers , I'll look out for your Dolly at Combe , theres another blue Dolly I've seen at Combe driven by a women who wears string back glove's which makes me smile :)
User avatar
trig
Fanatic
 
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed 13.08.2008, 19:37
Location: Bristol

Re: What Track Days are you doing in 2009?

Postby GeoffSmith » Sat 20.12.2008, 21:32

Bloody hell Dave, you been scanning the Polaroids again? :mrgreen:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Re: What Track Days are you doing in 2009?

Postby chris.t » Sat 20.12.2008, 22:20

trig wrote:Brands Hatch in December :shock: 8)
Is the Elan any good as a track hack? as this is hopefully my intention
How bad are the brakes on the Elan :?: as I was thinking of doing a track session on standard'ish brakes or should I sort the brakes before I go near a track

Paul/Trig I was driving a VX220 not the Elan. I think the elan is ok on track but really requires certain mods if you are going to track it regularly, new seats and 4 point harness for a start would stop you sliding about, never a good idea at high speed. Monty's the best person to ask on that sort of thing. If you're going out there to do some serious elise chasing you're going to be disappointed.

Re the OEM brakes for track use there has been a lot of discussion about this. From my experience I couldn't brake as hard as i would have liked which means i couldn't reach the speeds that i wanted. I also warped disks a lot! I have changed to a 4 pot upgrade, lots of discussion on this too. Maybe experiment with different disks and pads before making the upgrade perhaps, but try the standard setup first just to give yourself a bench mark. HTH
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
User avatar
chris.t
God
 
Posts: 3671
Joined: Mon 11.07.2005, 09:56
Location: Storrington, West Sussex

Re: What Track Days are you doing in 2009?

Postby trig » Sun 21.12.2008, 10:14

Thanks for the good advice Chris, I was going to give the standard set-up a go so I could then appreciate the difference made by upgrades :)

my Elan needs a power up to make it any fun on track 8) I was thinking Mountain chip and larger exhaust then maybe a turbo upgrade :twisted:
I used a G-lock seat belt attachment in my Saab and it kept me strapped to the seat in a car that rolled like a ship...

The Elise was always to quick on the track for me but I'm hoping to still keep up with the M3 and pass a few scoobys , pug 205s ect
User avatar
trig
Fanatic
 
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed 13.08.2008, 19:37
Location: Bristol

Re: What Track Days are you doing in 2009?

Postby JIMBO » Wed 31.12.2008, 23:39

trig wrote:Thanks for the good advice Chris, I was going to give the standard set-up a go so I could then appreciate the difference made by upgrades :)

my Elan needs a power up to make it any fun on track 8) I was thinking Mountain chip and larger exhaust then maybe a turbo upgrade :twisted:
I used a G-lock seat belt attachment in my Saab and it kept me strapped to the seat in a car that rolled like a ship...

The Elise was always to quick on the track for me but I'm hoping to still keep up with the M3 and pass a few scoobys , pug 205s ect


Hi Trig,
Forget the powere upgrade, sort the brakes and suspension first. It will be the most cost effective (and safest) way to improve your times.
Regards
Jim
JIMBO
Fanatic
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue 25.11.2003, 23:24

Re: What Track Days are you doing in 2009?

Postby Monty » Tue 06.01.2009, 00:01

JIMBO wrote:
trig wrote:Thanks for the good advice Chris, I was going to give the standard set-up a go so I could then appreciate the difference made by upgrades :)

my Elan needs a power up to make it any fun on track 8) I was thinking Mountain chip and larger exhaust then maybe a turbo upgrade :twisted:
I used a G-lock seat belt attachment in my Saab and it kept me strapped to the seat in a car that rolled like a ship...

The Elise was always to quick on the track for me but I'm hoping to still keep up with the M3 and pass a few scoobys , pug 205s ect


Hi Trig,
Forget the powere upgrade, sort the brakes and suspension first. It will be the most cost effective (and safest) way to improve your times.
Regards
Jim



Totally :agree:
Image
User avatar
Monty
Chunder King!
 
Posts: 7977
Joined: Sun 11.01.2004, 22:32
Location: Leeds

Previous

Return to Circuits & Track Days

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest