LGM Elan

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: LGM Elan

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Mon 27.07.2009, 05:10

The new shifter cables are in during my brief time in SF. I also managed to pick up my new rear calipers for my custom rear big brake upgrade. All this and a brief bit of glassfibre work on the rear valance. Rear big brake upgrade to come after the valance are done. E-brake to be a second spot caliper on the off side of the disc.
Attachments
!BVVThggCGk~$(KGrHgoH-CMEjlLl0rDjBKR9(wI75g~~_1.JPG
!BVVThggCGk~$(KGrHgoH-CMEjlLl0rDjBKR9(wI75g~~_1.JPG (8.78 KiB) Viewed 7879 times
Must....................Go...............Faster
User avatar
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu 14.07.2005, 07:35
Location: Earth or there abouts

Re: LGM Elan

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Tue 27.10.2009, 00:25

Between flying, fibre glassing, sanding rear valance, cleaning house and shop along with countless other projects I managed to do this...
Attachments
IMG_0312.jpg
Simple, unobtrusive, agressive and very effective.
IMG_0312.jpg (79.75 KiB) Viewed 7805 times
IMG_0305.jpg
Openning up the centre mouth to allow better cooling and to make the front end more fitting
IMG_0305.jpg (71.76 KiB) Viewed 7805 times
Must....................Go...............Faster
User avatar
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu 14.07.2005, 07:35
Location: Earth or there abouts

Re: LGM Elan

Postby Elanlover » Thu 29.10.2009, 20:30

Marie, are you using fibreglass to shape the front end? If so, how are you getting it to adhere to the plastic bumper skin? Thanks!
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North

Re: LGM Elan

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Thu 29.10.2009, 21:46

Nope. Liquid urethane and catalyst. It's a bumper repair compound to fix tears and holes in urethane bumpers when plastic welding doesn't work. It's for thermoset urethane materials.
Must....................Go...............Faster
User avatar
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu 14.07.2005, 07:35
Location: Earth or there abouts

Re: LGM Elan

Postby Elanlover » Thu 29.10.2009, 22:04

Ahh. Is it somethign that's formable then? I ask because I'm contemplating some changes to the rear bumper skin (reshaping, etc.) and doing it with fibreglass is problematic as you would already know.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North

Re: LGM Elan

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Thu 29.10.2009, 22:58

Kinda. It's easily sandable but it needs backing to have shape.
Must....................Go...............Faster
User avatar
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu 14.07.2005, 07:35
Location: Earth or there abouts

Re: LGM Elan

Postby nitroman » Sun 01.11.2009, 08:36

LGM, is it really as easy to R&R the front bumper as they make it sound in section BK.8? Are there any tips or gotcha's you could pass on to me? Thanks, Matt
Strive for perfection in everything. (given time)
Take the best that exists & make it better. (given inclination)
If it doesn't exist, create it. (God did)
Ignore what I say. (good advice)
User avatar
nitroman
Moderator
 
Posts: 3554
Joined: Fri 18.04.2003, 01:17
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: LGM Elan

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Sun 01.11.2009, 14:51

BK8?
Must....................Go...............Faster
User avatar
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu 14.07.2005, 07:35
Location: Earth or there abouts

Re: LGM Elan

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 01.11.2009, 16:02

Service manual - Section BK: Body fittings - Para BK.8: Front bumper/spoiler.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Re: LGM Elan

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Sat 29.05.2010, 08:40

Well the past 3 or so weeks have seen alot of activity in the garage and shop. When I wasn't flying or glassing I managed to screw things up royaly on the Elan. It was time for a gearbox and crank case oil change so I do what I alway do and put her up in the air. What's this? Grease everywhere? Torn CV boot on th right side inner. Odd as I just replaced it a coue months back. Turns out the accordion of the Bailcast boot is too big and catches on the longeron bolts when you hit a bump in the road. No worries, order a new boot from lotus. Arrived today. No worries.

When I went to undo the gearbox drain plug I noticed something silvery in the oil. The threads from the transmission!!! Greeeaaat. Now what. Found a drain plug from a lamborghini. 22mm. 2mm bigger than OEM lotus. So I bought a tap came back home and realized the only way to get to the bastard was to remove the left side suspension and longeron. Ok no worries as I had replaced the LH sides outer CV boot a few months back I knew everything was going to be easy. What's this? As I pull out the driveshaft I notice a bit of play on the inboard side. No worries I though.... Big mistake. I cut off the original CV boot clamp only to find that one of the bearings insiide was missing it's needlebearings and ha gaulled the inside of the CV joint. Grrrrr. Looks like a new diveshaft is in my future now. Darn it.

After taking down the "raft" I also noticed a slight oil dribble from the oil pump. Yep.... Seals done for. Ordered a new one from isuzu only to have the wrong one delivered. The correct one.... 4-6 week wait from Japan. $250. Also got an extra seal and oil pickup for down the road.

It's been a whopper of a month and the result..... Car still in the air, more parts on order and all I have to show for it is a shiny new Snap On 1/2" drive impact driver. Some days are like this.
Must....................Go...............Faster
User avatar
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu 14.07.2005, 07:35
Location: Earth or there abouts

Re: LGM Elan

Postby HJ2 » Sat 29.05.2010, 08:49

Bloody H*** :shock:
When do you do the driving part of the Elan? :poke:

The bad luck must run out one day :wink:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
User avatar
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands
 
Posts: 4405
Joined: Fri 06.06.2008, 10:54
Location: Delft, the Netherlands

Re: LGM Elan

Postby steve matthews » Sat 29.05.2010, 14:43

Sometimes if it weren't for bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all. :|
Steve -w- Lucky New Lady :m100:
User avatar
steve matthews
God
 
Posts: 1096
Joined: Mon 06.11.2006, 22:16
Location: VIRGINIA

Re: LGM Elan

Postby lotos » Sat 29.05.2010, 15:24

Sorry to hear about the troubles - At least the car is in capable hands.
User avatar
lotos
God
 
Posts: 1689
Joined: Thu 26.08.2004, 04:48
Location: USA

Re: LGM Elan

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Sat 29.05.2010, 17:16

Thank you all. It's been a rough month for the lotus and for me. Only real progress was on the rear valances. Going to clean up the garage today and place an order to lotus aftersales for a driveshaft LH and some other small bits. The only list I found was older so hopefully the still have them. I'm thoroughly drained from this run of luck. I do know that in the end I'll have a very sorted Elan in near new mechanical condition. Just getting it there will suck.

Just curious but, has anyone from the states ordered from aftersales?
Must....................Go...............Faster
User avatar
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu 14.07.2005, 07:35
Location: Earth or there abouts

Re: LGM Elan

Postby esprit888 » Sat 29.05.2010, 19:19

I tried to, but never received any sort of reply (even gave them the dealers contact info and a contact phone number in the U.K)

lotusgirlmarie wrote:Thank you all. It's been a rough month for the lotus and for me. Only real progress was on the rear valances. Going to clean up the garage today and place an order to lotus aftersales for a driveshaft LH and some other small bits. The only list I found was older so hopefully the still have them. I'm thoroughly drained from this run of luck. I do know that in the end I'll have a very sorted Elan in near new mechanical condition. Just getting it there will suck.

Just curious but, has anyone from the states ordered from aftersales?
User avatar
esprit888
God
 
Posts: 957
Joined: Fri 31.10.2008, 18:56
Location: Lotus Land-Canada

Re: LGM Elan

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Sat 29.05.2010, 20:21

That doesn't bode well for me then. I'd hate to have to spend a great deal of money on a part I know is less elsewhere.
Must....................Go...............Faster
User avatar
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu 14.07.2005, 07:35
Location: Earth or there abouts

Re: LGM Elan

Postby texas2201 » Sat 29.05.2010, 22:15

Lyrics from a song originally by Bo Didley (I think?) but sung by Cream in the late sixties/seventies

If it wasnt for bad luck I wouldnt have any luck at all..........

I have it printed on a couple of polo shirts - it sums up 2008/9 for me ............................. :-(


steve matthews wrote:Sometimes if it weren't for bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all. :|
Steve -w- Lucky New Lady :m100:
"brakes are no good - they just slow you down" Fangio :-)
User avatar
texas2201
God
 
Posts: 1379
Joined: Fri 30.06.2006, 17:24
Location: Boos Eifel Germany

Re: LGM Elan

Postby Elanlover » Sat 29.05.2010, 23:03

I think you need to order from a dealer as parts listed in the aftersales sale are still sold through th dealer network - just at reduced prices. The form you use asks you to provide the name of the nearest dealer which they will then ship to. You buy the part from the dealership at the reduced price.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North

Re: LGM Elan

Postby superbad » Sun 30.05.2010, 00:16

Ordered a pair of driveshafts from Paul Clarke at Bell & Colville last year. Got here in a couple weeks. Drivehsafts were 94 quid each, but shipping was about 100.

I don't know if anyone has been successful ordering aftersales parts from US dealers. I gave up on it.
User avatar
superbad
Fanatic
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun 28.12.2008, 06:02
Location: Denver, CO

Re: LGM Elan

Postby Elanlover » Sun 30.05.2010, 00:45

superbad wrote:Ordered a pair of driveshafts from Paul Clarke at Bell & Colville last year. Got here in a couple weeks. Drivehsafts were 94 quid each, but shipping was about 100.

I don't know if anyone has been successful ordering aftersales parts from US dealers. I gave up on it.


I did the same with my parts. They were great to deal with and happy to honour the aftersales sale prices. Easiest thing to do is contact them and ask them to check availability of the desired parts on the aftersales sale list. They'll do the rest.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Car (Major)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests