Headlight Actuator Module A100M6027F

Please put all your known Elan Cross-Refenced parts here--click "start new topic" and title it with the part type, then add all known info to the post.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Headlight Actuator Module A100M6027F

Postby Specky » Sat 10.07.2010, 12:46

I was looking at This thread and thought it didn't really answer the question, so I thought I do a bit of research.

I pulled the Lotus Headlight Actuator Module (A100M6027F) off the 89' Elan and found this GM No on the back 16509097

So a quick LEC search showed up nothing, but then an internet search showed up two things This and This

Oct 16, 1999 - 18:20 - From: Dan
Title: Headlamp Pod Control Module
Message: I've done some research and talked to a few GM Parts guys who helped cross-reference the now-defunct part #16509097(from sticker on my bad control module); one guy told me all Firebirds and Fiero's use the same module; another x-ref'd the number to the current active part#16525685 and concurred that they all used the same thing. Lotus wanted $186 for this module, Pontiac $140-173 depending on part. I went to the local junkyard...oops I mean "auto recycler"...and paid $10 for one from a '94 Firebird that lost a one-punch battle with a phone pole. It had part #16521278 on the outside sticker. as the outside case was pretty crappy, I popped it open and re-used my Lotus case; the circuit board was quite different(less components, only 1 IC chip and what appeared to be the same relay). I also got the e-mail address thru my Lotus Ltd contacts of an engineer at GM Detroit who worked on the M100 project....I will contact him and ask that he check out this site and contribute any insights he may have. By the way....problem solved! the Pontiac part works just fine...if I have any subsequent problems related to this I will post them here. How about that "Parts Cross-Reference " page Doug? Please feel free to add this info


Oct 18, 1999 - 13:23 - From: charlie
Title: on a roll. headlamp pod.
Message: the headlamp pod just seems to be a delay module to stop the user oscillating the headlamp motors too much, I know there was a design change that stopped some sort of dazzle when the lamps were popping up in earlier models that's possibly why the circuit is different. the relays control the lift motors it seems. I doubt they contain any esoteric parts. Like I said before I'd really like to take apart the busted one you have Dan. email me about it if you've still got it and don't mind giving it up.


Oct 18, 1999 - 15:30 - From: Dan
Title: Headlamp control module
Message: Charlie -- shoot me you address in an e-mail to "L23S10@AOL.COM" and I'll send you the busted part(if I can get it away from my 6 yr-old's Star Wars play area -- he thinks it's cool! Maybe he's got a future....I've had 2 people tell me he's a dead ringer for Anniken -- M100 Pod Racer?) Lotus part has a bunch more resistors/capacitors and 2 IC chips on it...the '94 Pontiac part was considerably simpler. I believe the circuits are designed to swap hot & ground to the headlamp motors and sense when they've reached full throw, then shut off. I'm not sure how much repair effort is warranted if you can grab one from the bone yard for $10, but I'd be interested in your findings. Dan


bobbrown wrote:If thats the case I think these are the same as ours http://www.top-downsolutions.com/index. ... 9616c7942c and at sub £40.00 not too bad but not sure about shipping to the UK.
or it could be dirty contacts
Bob


So by piecing all the bitz together....

I guess this is first choice...

GM 16525685

Headlight Control Module

Fits the following vehicles:

Buick: Reatta (1990-1992)

Olds: Toronado/Trofeo (1990-1992)

Pontiac: Firebird (1990-2002),

Sunbird (1990-1994)



And this could be another...

GM 16505400

Headlight Control Module

Fits the following vehicles:

Buick: Reatta (1988-1989)

Pontiac: Fiero (1987-88), Firebird (1987-89), Sunbird (1988-89)

Warning,

Headlight Control Module: The headlight control module is the same one in the Pontiac Firebird/Trans Am. It was rumored that this module was also in the Fiero/Sunbird. The module looks exactly the same in the Fiero/Sunbird. Upon opening up examples from both the Fiero/Sunbird, the pin-out is the same but the electronic connections are incompatible. It was not until I had my hands on a '92 Firebird module that the headlights worked. Dan had also used one from a '93 Firebird. Also, in investigating this problem, I visited the Firebird usenet groups. This module is prone to burn-out. (replacement cost new - $200) So, while Dan and I are the first, I do not believe we will be the only ones. Be warned!! The module is 5"x5", black and has one 4 wire plug on the left and a 5 wire plug on the right. Also, the module has the word "GUIDE" written on its top. On the Elan, while looking at the engine bay, the module sits on the left hand side of the firewall. On the Firebird, the module sits either next to the master cylinder or near the left headlight. --Scott

On the '93 Trans Am Firebird I grabbed mine from, the module was below and behind the LH Headlight pod -- you have to look close to spot it. --Dan



So Hopefully everything has been pieced together.

and to finish off here are a couple of photographs to show the Lotus item.

Image

Image

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
User avatar
Specky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5982
Joined: Sun 07.09.2003, 23:19
Location: Swindon

Re: Headlight Actuator Module

Postby GeoffSmith » Sat 10.07.2010, 13:45

You just had to ask - I've got a burned out one that I was looking at in the loft! :D

I did put an old link in the Wiki as the 'common replacement parts' link pointed to some old LEC links but they're not there any more! :?
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Re: Headlight Actuator Module

Postby Specky » Sat 10.07.2010, 15:28

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
User avatar
Specky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5982
Joined: Sun 07.09.2003, 23:19
Location: Swindon

Re: Headlight Actuator Module A100M6027F

Postby andy b » Sat 03.11.2012, 22:33

I got mine repaired £10 for parts and £35 labour worth sending your old one to me and i will give it to my mate to repair i can try it on my elan before sending back to you if it works. andy b PM Me if you need help
If you can't fix it with a hammer it's electrical.
élan back on the road
andy b
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon 17.10.2011, 15:11
Location: south wales uk

Re: Headlight Actuator Module A100M6027F

Postby peteoddcar » Tue 26.05.2026, 16:14

Gold !
Peteoddcar - Pacific Blue SE 1990
User avatar
peteoddcar
Fanatic
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Thu 26.11.2009, 23:41
Location: Ewhurst, Surrey Hills

Re: Headlight Actuator Module A082M6363F

Postby hethel_haus » Wed 10.06.2026, 02:42

I have a ‘91 Elan SE Turbo and my RH headlight pod quit going up. LH works fine off the switch and I am able to lift the RH pod manually. Not knowing what was behind the pod not working, I found a single headlamp control module advertised on eBay in the US (part number A082M6363F). The Seller listed it as usable for 88-04 Lotus Espirit cars. I contacted them and asked if it would work on a 91 M100 and they replied Yes. It came today and I tried it out and now neither pod lifts. My supposed original module had a sticker on the back with part number GM 16509097.

I’ll be sending the module back to the eBay Seller to try and get my money back. If anyone has a good source for control modules in the US that will work on a M100, let me know.
Steve
Appleton, WI
User avatar
hethel_haus
Newbie
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon 25.01.2016, 19:20
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin

Re: Headlight Actuator Module A082M6363F

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 10.06.2026, 08:50

hethel_haus wrote:I have a ‘91 Elan SE Turbo and my RH headlight pod quit going up. LH works fine off the switch and I am able to lift the RH pod manually. Not knowing what was behind the pod not working, I found a single headlamp control module advertised on eBay in the US (part number A082M6363F). The Seller listed it as usable for 88-04 Lotus Espirit cars. I contacted them and asked if it would work on a 91 M100 and they replied Yes. It came today and I tried it out and now neither pod lifts. My supposed original module had a sticker on the back with part number GM 16509097.

I’ll be sending the module back to the eBay Seller to try and get my money back. If anyone has a good source for control modules in the US that will work on a M100, let me know.

there a differnt post in the forum where this is discussed extensively. there is a corvete unit which is believed to be the same as the Elan.

if you search for it, it will have the details. i mentioned in that same post the success i had repairing my unit back then.. nearly 10 years ago now.
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 3057
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

Re: Headlight Actuator Module A100M6027F

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 10.06.2026, 08:55

took a while but this is the post i was talking abotu

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26938&start=60
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 3057
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

Re: Headlight Actuator Module A100M6027F

Postby Fredjohn » Wed 10.06.2026, 11:14

You might also wish to consider the plastic bits inside the motor have failed after 30+yrs.
Whilst it goes up manually, they could still have failed.
Cheap easily obtainable repair kit from most UK Lotus specialists. Not sure about USA, but the motor is from a Sunbird GT, so could be found there, eg Rodney Dickman parts.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec élan.

Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
Mercedes Benz C200 estate
Lotus Evija Danish edition
User avatar
Fredjohn
God
 
Posts: 2538
Joined: Tue 21.08.2012, 00:30
Location: Malvern, Worcs

Re: Headlight Actuator Module A082M6363F

Postby donsladek » Thu 11.06.2026, 00:34

hethel_haus wrote:I have a ‘91 Elan SE Turbo and my RH headlight pod quit going up. LH works fine off the switch and I am able to lift the RH pod manually. Not knowing what was behind the pod not working, I found a single headlamp control module advertised on eBay in the US (part number A082M6363F). The Seller listed it as usable for 88-04 Lotus Espirit cars. I contacted them and asked if it would work on a 91 M100 and they replied Yes. It came today and I tried it out and now neither pod lifts. My supposed original module had a sticker on the back with part number GM 16509097.

I’ll be sending the module back to the eBay Seller to try and get my money back. If anyone has a good source for control modules in the US that will work on a M100, let me know.


Steve, did the Ebay headlamp control have a sticker on the back with a GM part number on it?
Don Sladek
Calypso Red '91 #37594

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
User avatar
donsladek
Fanatic
 
Posts: 549
Joined: Sun 07.08.2005, 22:19
Location: New Berlin, Wisconsin USA

Re: Headlight Actuator Module A100M6027F

Postby hethel_haus » Thu 11.06.2026, 03:05

No, the control module from the eBay seller had no labels or stickers on it. All I had was his listing description that it was part number A082M6363F. I checked with SJS and they list the A082M6363F model as usable on 88-92 Esprit cars. Elan SE cars use the A100M6027F module.

The eBay seller asked me to clarify the 5 pin wire connection colors which may be different on the Esprit. Mine do match the Elan SE Circuit Diagram for single pivot headlamps:
Pin A - UR
Pin B - PK
Pin C - UR
Pin D - B
Pin E - PK

My next step is to rebuild or replace the RH headlamp motor on my car and hope that my existing GM labeled control module is still functioning. That won’t stop my search for another control module though to have as a spare.
Steve
Appleton, WI
User avatar
hethel_haus
Newbie
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon 25.01.2016, 19:20
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin

Re: Headlight Actuator Module A100M6027F

Postby hethel_haus » Thu 18.06.2026, 17:20

Noting an earlier reply from Dan that module #16525685 would be his first choice as a replacement to the original 16509097 module. I haven't been able to find one of those. My M100 is a Federal version with the single pivot headlight that comes on before the pods lift. I assume the original control module on the UK "fold back" headlight is different.

Anyway, sourcing a replacement control module here in the US has been difficult. One that I have found is module #16514174 which is the original control module for a 90-92 Pontiac Firebird. This module was superceded in 1994 as 16521278. Has anyone on LEC had any good experience with either of these two module numbers on an M100?
Steve
Appleton, WI
User avatar
hethel_haus
Newbie
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon 25.01.2016, 19:20
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin


Return to Part Cross-Reference

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron