LGM Elan

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: LGM Elan

Postby rip » Fri 13.08.2010, 08:49

lotusgirlmarie wrote:I know that Bob, I believe is doing a Nitron/Eibach setup and I would wait but the Avos were just sooooo bad.

Nitron are actually producing the kits now, so I won't have the only Nitron Elan for much longer!
Several UK Elaners had fitted Fed dampers in the past but remarked how they had a detrimental effect on handling. There must be something very different about the Fed setup so I'm not sure the UK Nitron setup would be right for your Elan.
1990 SE
User avatar
rip
God
 
Posts: 5905
Joined: Sun 08.04.2007, 07:48
Location: Milton Keynes, UK

Re: LGM Elan

Postby bobbrown » Fri 13.08.2010, 09:23

The Nitron dampers are now available.
You can get them in different configurations so you could opt for a 4 way damper with remote reservoirs but they are expensive and they can be supplied with a pillow ball top mount which again adds to the cost.

Lotus damper a.jpg
Lotus damper a.jpg (41.29 KiB) Viewed 8316 times


from these
NTR Sport.jpg
NTR Sport.jpg (79.65 KiB) Viewed 8316 times

to these
NTCLO018R_001_web.jpg
NTCLO018R_001_web.jpg (69.13 KiB) Viewed 8316 times


with the correct mounts which have now been engineered to suit the front yoke, rears are easy as the mounts are fairly standard.

I do not think there is anything fundamentally different with the fed setup just some minor changes to accommodate the difference in weights and springs and as the Nitron dampers are adjustable (with in a range) then I do not foresee any problems fitting them to a Fed car and the ride height can be adjusted to suit the Fed requirement.

Bob
Pacific Blue N/A
" When you’re up to your arse in alligators, it’s difficult to remember that the object of the exercise is to drain the swamp"
please use email for correspondence
User avatar
bobbrown
God
 
Posts: 2804
Joined: Wed 10.05.2006, 12:51
Location: North Essex

Re: LGM Elan

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Fri 13.08.2010, 15:16

Very nice indeed. I'd love to do a remote resevoir but as we all know space is limited.

You are correct with the Fed and ROW/UK Elans being different suspension wise. The prongerons are different for the front and the never beneftted from the change in angle of the rear A arms that later elans did for the ROW. Sad but true.

I was really trying to steer away from the upper pillow/pin mounts. Been quite a headache hor me. Been looking quite in depth at eyelet/T bar mounting. Simple yet effective.
Must....................Go...............Faster
User avatar
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu 14.07.2005, 07:35
Location: Earth or there abouts

Re: LGM Elan

Postby Don.Hasi » Sun 15.08.2010, 23:08

lotusgirlmarie wrote:You are correct with the Fed and ROW/UK Elans being different suspension wise. The prongerons are different for the front and the never beneftted from the change in angle of the rear A arms that later elans did for the ROW. Sad but true.

Could you please describe a little bit more detailed what you think is different?

thx and regards
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Don.Hasi
Fanatic
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Tue 09.08.2005, 22:30
Location: Germany, Südpfalz/Elsass

Re: LGM Elan

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Mon 16.08.2010, 05:46

The prongerons for Fed cars have a different part # in the manual. I would assume this to be due to the crash structure employed on the Fed cars. The upper A arms are different as well though I've not a set of ROW to compare. If I wereto venture a guess I would say angle of the A arm with relation to the lower control arm. I know that the rear A arms employ the earlier geometry, 2.5% IIFC vs 5% employed on later cars. Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not 100% certain of the numbers.
Must....................Go...............Faster
User avatar
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu 14.07.2005, 07:35
Location: Earth or there abouts

Re: LGM Elan

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Thu 23.12.2010, 06:21

new heater valve, Bugatti type tie rod and TPS. Heater valve is from Volvo world and is pretty much identical to OEM. Unfortunately it is still prone to the same type of failure..
Attachments
IMG_0800.jpg
IMG_0800.jpg (93.99 KiB) Viewed 8081 times
IMG_0799.jpg
IMG_0799.jpg (58.79 KiB) Viewed 8081 times
IMG_0760.jpg
IMG_0760.jpg (57.24 KiB) Viewed 8081 times
Must....................Go...............Faster
User avatar
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu 14.07.2005, 07:35
Location: Earth or there abouts

Re: LGM Elan

Postby peter canepa » Fri 17.06.2011, 04:03

Marie,

Working on my car again, finally finished the seat heaters. Big improvement I like to ride with the top down at night, with the stereo blasting. Are you able to help me with the woofer cabinet, that you did?

Hope all is well

Peter
Damm this car looks good
User avatar
peter canepa
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun 26.02.2006, 23:22
Location: Santa Cruz California

Re: LGM Elan

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Wed 03.08.2011, 09:11

I can see what I can do about a sub cabinet.

At the 'mo I've been working on daniel's car getting it sorted and going to work. Of course while all this has been going on I've all but neglected the upkeep on my girl. Well she let me know her displeasure. Clutch up and let go on the way to work a few days ago. When I got back to the employee lot I figured I'd give it a quick adjust then all would be well. That's what I did to go the last 1/2 mile to the lot. She wasn't really happy with that. I did manage to get her home but it was an ordeal. Clutch is deffo done. I figured 45K miles and 10 years of city driving and track days on a six puck racing clutch was pretty good. 'Bout time it let go. Just hope it didn't knacker the alloy flywheel to bad. Suggestions on a replacement? Was looking at a Spec stage 2 as I'm not going to track her much if at all anymore. Too much expense and heartache when some knob breaks something or looses a wheel and I inevitably strike it. Lucky like that. I just can't do it right now. I want my baby back to pristine. She has too many battle scars as it sits and I really want her back to show quality. Enough emotional turmoil. Anyone have suggestions on clutches they have used and price/vendor?
Must....................Go...............Faster
User avatar
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu 14.07.2005, 07:35
Location: Earth or there abouts

Re: LGM Elan

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Fri 12.08.2011, 23:32

Clutch in but, throw out bearing retaining spring snapped Doh!!!!
Attachments
IMG_0582.jpg
full face stage 2 kevlar clutch vs. 6 puck racing clutch
IMG_0593.jpg
installed
Must....................Go...............Faster
User avatar
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu 14.07.2005, 07:35
Location: Earth or there abouts

Re: LGM Elan

Postby Monty » Mon 15.08.2011, 19:23

Hey Marie,

How does the pedal feel now compared to the 6 puk? Any details/links on the clutch you purchased as i`m sure others would be interested for future Ref :wink:

I`ve got a 6 Puk and lightened fly to fit but think i`ll wait till the stock clutch burns out :lol:
Image
User avatar
Monty
Chunder King!
 
Posts: 7977
Joined: Sun 11.01.2004, 22:32
Location: Leeds

Re: LGM Elan

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Mon 22.08.2011, 19:02

The six puc is far grabby-er. Still street able but you will have to learn to modulate it better. The pressure plates feel very different from a stage 2 to 3. Stage 2 is just heavier than stock where a stage 3 is noticeably heavier. The full face clutch is very easy to modulate and still holds the power of my updated engine. Both are good clutches. Just depends on what you want from it.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/perform ... lutch_Kits
Must....................Go...............Faster
User avatar
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu 14.07.2005, 07:35
Location: Earth or there abouts

Previous

Return to Projects - Car (Major)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests