So tonight she came home. After much agonizing about the order in which to do things, I decided to go back to my original plan of getting the engine done (but not powered up) first. I've got enough covers that I can monitor her at the garage and make sure she isn't drenched.
The battery had drained over the last few weeks, but the dehumidifier had pulled out over 3 pints of water from the cheapo foam inside. More on that later.
So after an overnight battery charge, and a stripping of the passenger door, more of which later with pics, the drive home was without incident apart from the turbo gauge pinning, which on my arrival was quickly fixed by spinning the VBO (?) ground wire. That will get a proper clean shortly.
Samco hoses turned out to be a 3-4 week lead time, but a quick order at Paul Matty Sports Cars gleaned me:
New badges
4 Red lock clips
Cam belt
Power Steering Belt
Alternator Belt
Oil Filter
Water Pump
...all of these should arrive Thursday for the drive over to hiflowheads.
Having neglected to obtain the door lock clip surrounds, both of which are broken, I decided I might instead repair with fibreglass and then finish these and other key parts in the same anthracite grey I plan to do the wheels in (very similar to Audi centre caps, based on Oz wheels' signature style). I feel using grey is going to tone down the fading of the vinyl and such.
So tonight she had her first, and likely only (without the shower cap) power wash, and the ingress points of water were obvious:
- from the passenger speaker (i.e. through the weatherstrip and down the path of least resistance
- from the corner of the passenger window and B-pillar. The seal top is missing, so a rebuild in Sikaflex is likely before I go any further on cost there
- surprisingly, from the top of the drivers window at the front apex. I'll need to look at the seal there.
I used half a tub of Meguiars Hot Wheels and a scourer on the backs of the rims, as they've been getting the cover straps filthy. They felt like scrubbing the grill from Harga's House of Ribs - absolutely black. But after a snow foam and a good jetting, I reckon they'll only take 5 or 6 more cleans, haha.
So the doors will continue to get stripped as I work my way towards the outer weatherseals, which I have the vintagecarparts replacements for - doesn't look anywhere near close, but ho hum, I'll see when I get there.
The car and parts are going to the engine tuner tail end of the week for a bench test, and either he will fit it all, or I'll work with him to do it and clean the engine bay at the same time, or he'll just test it and I'll fit them later. Either way all I want is to walk away saying, as much as one ever can, "yes, I can work on this, its going to be worth it".
Tomorrow I'm taking it to my spray guy because I honestly think its going to need a full spray.
Stereo is proceeding apace, with most parts and tools bought, its ending up looking at:
Pioneer DEH P-88 Rs-ii head unit
Dynaudio 3-way component system & crossovers
2 x Peerless 10" subwoofers
Genesis Profile Sub amplifier
...to which I will add a 2x3 amplifier at some point. I'm going to wire for that just now.
Other little bits picked up:
Battery Brain Gold V3 (hello immobiliser)
Gearstick, knob, gaiter
Second set of keys (first thing I should have done)
Not even going to post pics just now, cleaning a car in the dark doesn't count. Just posting up to dot my thoughts down. Planning on really powering this through over the next 4-8 weeks so expect some full pictorials of the interesting stuff soon.
Basic plan is:
0) Engine check. Fit all new belts, pumps.
1) Finish up stripping doors, check weatherseals and beef up pillar seals, check its waterproof. Debadge car.
2) While doors are down, work out mounting strategy for components; door cards will likely need chopped, Measure once again space behind seats for subwoofer boxes.
3) Respray vehicle, powdercoat wheels. Pirelli tyres.
4) Send off door cards, seats, steering wheel and gaiters for new leather and heated/cooled/perforated seats. Strip remaining carpet, and Dynamat every vibrating panel.
5) While seats are out, strip dash console fully. Install Bobs Brake Kit Hi-Spec. Refurbish dials and knobs, fix up heating/air-con. Tidy and refibreglass dash console, make good, deal with curling vinyl on main dash. Wire in stereo first 6 channels and sub lines to boot.
6) Fit subwoofer boxes behind seats. Final measure of carpets and order. Wire in amps to boot, wire up subs.
7) Fit carpets over custom-fit sub boxes so everything looks integrated. Fit trim to curling console/dash edges to cover it.

Fibreflass fix dash centre console, coat in black plastikote, try to make it neater fitting to main dash and refit.
9) Refit seats, steering wheel
10) Replace engine hoses with Samco, full engine bay clean.
11) Pop in Everest chip, install O2 sensor and BOV.
12) Laser wheel alignment
Seems like a good order now. Comments appreciated. Promise, promise to post good photos when I actually do something worth looking at!