Evans Waterless Coolant

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Evans Waterless Coolant

Postby sheriff464 » Fri 25.10.2013, 20:36

Hello,has anyone tried this new coolant by Evans in their M100 ? Any info or experience of this product much appreciated,thanks in anticipation.
sheriff464

Re: Evans Waterless Coolant

Postby rip » Fri 25.10.2013, 20:53

Expensive stuff to lose if you get a leak.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Peter_W » Fri 25.10.2013, 20:59

I hadn't heard of it before - so a Google search brought up this Jay Leno's Garage video: www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras/car-care/waterless-engine-coolant/

Looks to me like something worth learning more about.
"Those who know don't have the words to tell
And the ones with the words don't know too well"
Peter_W
Fanatic

Postby steve matthews » Fri 25.10.2013, 21:43

I have been watching this product also.
My question is if it does not get hot enough to steam up how can it open a 180 Deg. thermostat :?:
Without that the ECU will be lost or am I missing something. :smt017

Steve
steve matthews
God

Postby JohnB » Fri 25.10.2013, 22:54

steve matthews wrote:I have been watching this product also.
My question is if it does not get hot enough to steam up how can it open a 180 Deg. thermostat :?:
Without that the ECU will be lost or am I missing something. :smt017

Steve

Hi Steve.
I think you've misunderstood how engine cooling works. Coolant doesn't "steam up" in an engine. The cooling system is pressurised purposely to raise the boiling point preventing it turning to steam. This means that the coolant (water/antifreeze mix) stays in liquid form beyond the temperature at which it would turn to steam at atmospheric pressure, and so is still able to cool the engine as a liquid. It stays liquid beyond the boiling point because it's under pressure.
The waterless coolant has a much higher boiling point than water therefore it's unlikely to reach it's boiling point in a engine application whether pressurised or not, although it will still reach normal engine operating temperature, thus opening the thermostat which is there to enable a quick warm up and maintain optimum engine temperature. The waterless coolant will still discharge the heat it has collected from the engine through the radiator as normal. Fundamentally the difference is the boiling point but there are obviously other benefits.
Hope this helps.
John.
Anybody going slower than me is an idiot. Anybody going faster is a maniac.Image
JohnB
Enthusiast

Postby Rob P » Fri 25.10.2013, 22:58

If I understand it correctly doesn't this liquid have a higher boiling point, therefore it still reaches the same temp as if you had water in the system but it doesn't turn to steam and therefore doesn't create the pressure a water based system does, this mean that even when the engine is running hot you could still remove the Radiator cap/Expansion tank cap and there will be no gushing out of liquid.
Plus not being water based it doesn't corrode the inside of the engine and other components.

It isn't cheap but they do say it will last the life of the engine :burnout:

Edit : Posted at the same time as the post above but beaten to the submit :bonk:
simplify and add lightness
1991 Norfolk Mustard Yellow SE - Gone but will never be forgotten :-)
1969 Lotus Elan S4 - Wedgewood Blue
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby steve matthews » Sat 26.10.2013, 02:18

Thanks all for the better understanding. The video I watched had a hot
engine, they removed the cap and no steam or fluid escaped. They then opened the
drain plug and felt the fluid with their hands and the response was that it was warm but not
scalding this is puzzling. :|

Steve
steve matthews
God

Postby Peter_W » Sat 26.10.2013, 18:58

Jay's Garage site had a December 21, 2012 update video - updated formulations for high performance engines, diesel trucks, and ATVs.
Waterless Engine Coolant Revisited
"Those who know don't have the words to tell
And the ones with the words don't know too well"
Peter_W
Fanatic

Postby HJ2 » Sat 26.10.2013, 23:18

I filled Peter's Elan up with the stuff.
No complaints about cooling capacity and yes, it will save your engine in case of overheating, no doubt. However a quick fill up with water is a nono when using this stuff.
Combined with TSL in the engine oil it is, in theory, a good way off protecting the engine against over heating and lubrication loss.

The cooling thingey is an obvious one, the TSL is not, i know.
I also know the Dutch importer and the sucess the Dutch teams, racing Exiges has with the stuff. It translates into more races with an engine before rebuild is needed.

There are also stories of the engine running better, smoother, cooler and more efficiently with TSL.
I have the stuff in my engine oil and transmission oil, but could not observe any of the latter improvements.
I'll stick with good engine oil, but still use the stuff in the transmission, encouraged by the good results of the racing teams.

My 2 cents anyway.
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby Peter D » Sun 27.10.2013, 00:44

I'm happy with the coolant.
What isn't mentioned yet ?
- Does not cause chemical oxidation.
- No pressure build-up in the cooling system.
- Lasts a lifetime (though I would assume a change might be in order after 5 or 6 years)
- You can add water in case of emergency, though you'll need to flush and fill with new stuff afterwards.
In my opinion, it's a treat for the engine, not a must.
My first purchase was at an accuspark shop where they restaure MG's, the second time it came from a Classic Corvette dealer.
They wouldn't use it if it brings nothing.
Is it good stuff ? Yes.
Can you live without ? Absolutely.
Is it worth the invest ? Only time and experience will tell...
:burnout:
Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.
Peter D
Enthusiast

Postby steve matthews » Sun 27.10.2013, 01:10

OK campers, I have now had it with the expansion bottle. :twisted:
Track day today blew the cap AGAIN water on coils lost 45 minuets running
only on 2 to 3 cylinders. Turbo use was -0- so I ran times = to the old man on the
BIKE.
1. Should I ditch the plastic Hell Bottle and it's demon cap or switch to the Evans waterless
Coolant?

Please discuss as I drink off my track day EMBARRASSMENT.

Steve
steve matthews
God

Postby rip » Sun 27.10.2013, 07:55

HJ2 wrote:Combined with TSL in the engine oil it is, in theory, a good way off protecting the engine against over heating and lubrication loss.

The cooling thingey is an obvious one, the TSL is not,

Maybe moving off topic, but what is TSL?
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby HJ2 » Sun 27.10.2013, 08:57

It's an oil additive, non Teflon based ;-)
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby Faraday » Mon 08.12.2014, 00:17

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but have just watched Wheeler Dealers where Ed China put Evans waterless coolant in a Triumph TR6, have any members on here tried this recently?
Apart from supposedly protecting the engine and components from rust, does it have any other benefits?
Would it be ok with Samco hoses?
If you were to have a leak, (which you shouldn't as I understand with Samco hoses) do you need more to top it up?
Does it produce the same heat in the cockpit heater?
Is it any better than water with antifreeze?
Any thoughts/comments would be welcomed as despite my title having progressed from Newbie to Tinkerer, (that's beyond me too! :lol: ) I would just be interested to know any experience in UK weather with this product.
1 bed apt. (sleeps 4) at Lanzarote for rent Oct-Mar £200p/w and Apr-Sept £250p/w LEC members get 10% discount for a week and more for longer stays. E mail me for details and pictures.
Faraday
Tinkerer

Postby epipete » Mon 08.12.2014, 09:41

It is available from several sources at 2 & 5 ltr sizes, Merlin's website (I looked here only because they are local) https://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai=C ... ency%3DGBP gives a good description of its purpose and also details the need for a prep chemical prior to use.

There are other variants of Evans Waterless Coolant that might be more applicable but this is for Classic Cars, I know not what any diference is!
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby DavidEJM » Mon 08.12.2014, 23:00

I think my wife uses something similar in her car, at least it seems to 'liquid less' coolant cos I never find any in the system when I lift the bonnet. Good job she drives a toyota! :shock:
Oooooh shiney!
DavidEJM
Fanatic

Postby Faraday » Tue 09.12.2014, 11:19

Thanks for that Pete, looks ok, might give it a try. And, thanks Dave, that brought a smile on a cold and frosty morning :lol:
1 bed apt. (sleeps 4) at Lanzarote for rent Oct-Mar £200p/w and Apr-Sept £250p/w LEC members get 10% discount for a week and more for longer stays. E mail me for details and pictures.
Faraday
Tinkerer

Postby DeanG » Sat 13.12.2014, 01:34

You track guys should check if it is allowed. When I raced motorcycles anything other than water was allowed. There may be objections to the new coolant.
DeanG
God

Return to Vital Fluids