Sidelights/indicators

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Sidelights/indicators

Postby basher » Wed 21.05.2014, 19:21

I've just removed the sidelights/indicators from my Elan bumper ( which is also removed). They are both in reasonable condition but the inner silver surface is dull and a bit black in places so I wondered about replacement?
Can they be obtained reasonably? I've had a look at wikiLEC and the forum and can't really see much apart from changing the lenses. The lenses themselves have come up ok after a clean, so no great need to change them, just the light units themselves. It nothing else, the rubber seals the lens sits on would be nice to replace too if you can get them.
Any ideas appreciated.

(BTW, the original bolts holding the lens to the unit and the light to the bumper were completely rusted and disintegrated during attempts at removal making life difficult. I'd advise anyone to change these for stainless or rust resistant as a pre-emptive step if you have any thoughts of removing them in the future for whatever reason. It was probably easier for me as the bumper was already off, but still gave me a complete attack of Tourette's ).
User avatar
basher
Fanatic
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue 02.11.2010, 18:19
Location: Colchester

Re: Sidelights/indicators

Postby Jon » Sun 29.06.2014, 11:17

Good call - I've replace them for A4 marine grade bolts, much better!!

I've also put marine grade nuts on the fuel filler cap too - as there were just lumps of rust where I think nuts once were....

Wish I'd not to the screws which hold my A-pillar rails on - their slots have already rusted away....grrr...

<rant>
It really drives me mad when to save a couple of pence companies put cheap rusting screws on items intended to be outdoors - the worst offenders are the manufacturers of outdoor floodlights, the cheap nuts and bolts they use always seem to rust to the point of disintegration within a few months rendering bulbs unchangeable. Grrrr.
</rant>
User avatar
Jon
Fanatic
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon 12.05.2003, 08:54

Re: Sidelights/indicators

Postby maz_r » Sun 29.06.2014, 11:28

Might be worth giving PNM engineering a call.

On their website it says "An L.E.D. base unit with clear lens is currently being developed as the original base unit is now obsolete. Please phone to register your interest." so it could be worth seeing how far off they are from releasing it?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those that understand binary.....
User avatar
maz_r
Binary Bodger
 
Posts: 741
Joined: Sun 05.07.2009, 20:36
Location: Solihull, West Midlands

Re: Sidelights/indicators

Postby Ian T » Sun 29.06.2014, 14:25

Assuming you don't specifically want LED indicators, you could probably re-spray the internal reflectors to good effect with one of the chrome effect spray paints. Even a bright silver metallic would probably work acceptably.

If fitting LED indicators, to avoid the fast 'I'm faulty' flash rate, you'd need to fit ballast resistors in parallel with the LEDs to increase their load back to what it would be with a conventional bulb.

Ian.
Ex-happy owner of no 117, built 1st May 1990. :)
User avatar
Ian T
Fanatic
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri 27.06.2014, 00:59
Location: Orpington, Kent

Re: Sidelights/indicators

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 29.06.2014, 15:39

There are NOW LED aware flashers that direct plug as a replacement for a stock flasher and don't require a resistance load to control the flash rate.

I also have a document I found somewhere (maybe the WIKI?) explaining how to modify a name brand but early design electronic flasher to flash at the regular rate without resistors.

I will dig it out and post it
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God
 
Posts: 4820
Joined: Tue 03.07.2007, 17:07
Location: Charlotte, NC USA

Re: Sidelights/indicators

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 29.06.2014, 18:28

OK, I dug it out and it was mainly for JEEP models so I did some more digging and if you search for LED Car Flasher, you will see two very common designations: CF13 and CF14.

The difference is the polarity of the pins on the flasher.

The M100 uses the CF14 version

When looking at the botom of the flasher with the middle pin at the top, the left hand pin is 31 or ground or ( _ ) and the right hand pin is 49 or power or ( + )

led-flasher.jpg


So just search for CF14 Flasher and get whichever one you want from wherever you want. In China, $2.95 with free shipping on eBay, US sellers are $6.25 with free shipping.

Resistors are very "Old School" and they get really hot and can cause damage. Use an electronic flasher instead.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God
 
Posts: 4820
Joined: Tue 03.07.2007, 17:07
Location: Charlotte, NC USA

Re: Sidelights/indicators

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 29.06.2014, 18:35

basher wrote:I've just removed the sidelights/indicators from my Elan bumper ( which is also removed). They are both in reasonable condition but the inner silver surface is dull and a bit black in places so I wondered about replacement?
Any ideas appreciated.


Take a look at this site: http://www.chromesolutions.de/ I don't see much info anywhere but http://www.spraychromesolutions.co.uk/ might be able to suggest places that use this process.

Jay Leno did a promotional show about the process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-1cTpSZ1l8

Another company in the UK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TDtUHo5cSE Their website: http://www.customcreationpaints.co.uk/

Maybe that is a solution for people with damaged reflectors on any of their lights?
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God
 
Posts: 4820
Joined: Tue 03.07.2007, 17:07
Location: Charlotte, NC USA

Re: Sidelights/indicators

Postby mitreklov » Thu 11.09.2014, 23:13

I had the same situation with one of my indicators, the silvering had deteriorated and the resulting illumination was poor.

I found these led panels on ebay and fitted them behind the lens. I used the existing bulb connection to connect them which means I can revert back to filament bulbs if I have to.
I also replaced the flasher unit with an electronic CF14 unit which cost around £6.50 from ebay.
The panels are very light and the indicator one is a perfect size to fit behind the lens. I held them in with some Butyl strip I had left over from a waterproofing exercise but you could just as easily use something like BluTac to hold them in place.
I'll see if I can find the links to the ebay items if anyone is interested in doing the same, they were dirt cheap.

It should be noted that these led panels have white LEDs which means if you have the remanufactured all clear lenses you'll need to find some yellow filter to colour them or find some panels with yellow LEDs to be usable as indicators.

Here's a few pictures:
LED Panel.jpg

LED panel rear.jpg

Fitted.jpg

Results2.jpg

Results.jpg


Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In-between Elans right now
User avatar
mitreklov
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon 24.06.2013, 20:30
Location: Uckfield, East Sussex

Re: Sidelights/indicators

Postby mitreklov » Thu 11.09.2014, 23:17

and before anybody comments on it, I know my lights are the wrong way round. I was going the flip them but when I realised I'd have to remove the bumper to do it I decided I liked them that way round :)
In-between Elans right now
User avatar
mitreklov
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon 24.06.2013, 20:30
Location: Uckfield, East Sussex

Re: Sidelights/indicators

Postby maz_r » Thu 11.09.2014, 23:30

:goodposting:

Nice job indeed
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those that understand binary.....
User avatar
maz_r
Binary Bodger
 
Posts: 741
Joined: Sun 05.07.2009, 20:36
Location: Solihull, West Midlands

Re: Sidelights/indicators

Postby mitreklov » Fri 12.09.2014, 16:31

For those of you who enquired about where to get the led panels I used, the following links may be helpful.

The larger indicator panels are here:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131200124250?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=430443967651&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

these came from China as I could not find a UK source but they only took 10 days or so £3 each including shipping

The side light panels are here:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400429654538?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

these are UK stocked and you get 5 of them for £7 plus PP. I got the 24 x5050 led panel. Be aware these panels are cool white colour and as such don't match the halogen headlight colour, you may wish to seek out the same panel in a warm white if that is your preference. Otherwise do as I did and replace your H1 headlamp bulbs with those blue ones for a better colour match.

You will need to source some of the metal bulb bases or use old bulbs with the glass removed to be able plug into the 1156 bulb holder in the existing fitting (i hope that makes sense) see the photos. I soldered a stiff copper wire across the top of the bulb cap to give you something to grab hold and twist when inserting into the holder.

I got these:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111206229059?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

but I had to file off one of the lugs as they were slightly offset and did not fit at first.

The cool white leds behind the amber lens tends to make the indicators a slightly brighter yellow rather than amber so at some point I'm hoping to place some orange gel of filter behind the lens in front of the leds to tune the colour a little, i just need to source some lighting gel of the right colour.

Hope this helps.

Tim
In-between Elans right now
User avatar
mitreklov
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon 24.06.2013, 20:30
Location: Uckfield, East Sussex

Re: Sidelights/indicators

Postby mitreklov » Fri 12.09.2014, 16:47

and here is the link for the LED flasher unit that replaces the original Lucas one:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261111166687?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Tim
In-between Elans right now
User avatar
mitreklov
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon 24.06.2013, 20:30
Location: Uckfield, East Sussex

Re: Sidelights/indicators

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 13.09.2014, 19:02

I really like to looks of it. i definatly wanna do something of that kind when mine is ready for the Road.

on a side note, how did you find out how to take out the font bumper ? i had a look around the bumper but couldnt find the screws apart from a pair just in front of the wheel and another under the pop-up lights?
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 3057
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

Re: Sidelights/indicators

Postby mitreklov » Sun 14.09.2014, 07:54

There is no need to remove the bumper to fit the LEDs, you can do it all from the front by removing the lens. Like you I looked at removing the bumper to flip the lights over but it wasn't obvious how to remove it so I didn't bother.

Tim
In-between Elans right now
User avatar
mitreklov
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon 24.06.2013, 20:30
Location: Uckfield, East Sussex

Re: Sidelights/indicators

Postby Tuga2112 » Mon 15.09.2014, 22:35

mitreklov wrote:I had the same situation with one of my indicators, the silvering had deteriorated and the resulting illumination was poor.

I found these led panels on ebay and fitted them behind the lens. I used the existing bulb connection to connect them which means I can revert back to filament bulbs if I have to.
I also replaced the flasher unit with an electronic CF14 unit which cost around £6.50 from ebay.
The panels are very light and the indicator one is a perfect size to fit behind the lens. I held them in with some Butyl strip I had left over from a waterproofing exercise but you could just as easily use something like BluTac to hold them in place.
I'll see if I can find the links to the ebay items if anyone is interested in doing the same, they were dirt cheap.

It should be noted that these led panels have white LEDs which means if you have the remanufactured all clear lenses you'll need to find some yellow filter to colour them or find some panels with yellow LEDs to be usable as indicators.

Here's a few pictures:
LED Panel.jpg

LED panel rear.jpg

Fitted.jpg

Results2.jpg

Results.jpg


Tim


I think it looks better the wrong way around :) probably gonna try doing that when i have a chance
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 3057
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

Re: Sidelights/indicators

Postby Fredjohn » Mon 15.09.2014, 22:55

The reason the lights were changed (side lights outside, indicators inside) was to meet C&U regs re the min/max distances from the edge of the car to the sidelights. Apparently early cars were built with indicators to the outside, then it was changed to meet the regs.

(Info courtesy the ever knowledgeable dapinky last Thursday!!!)
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec élan.

Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
Mercedes Benz C200 estate
Lotus Evija Danish edition
User avatar
Fredjohn
God
 
Posts: 2538
Joined: Tue 21.08.2012, 00:30
Location: Malvern, Worcs

Re: Sidelights/indicators

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 17.09.2014, 21:42

Fredjohn wrote:The reason the lights were changed (side lights outside, indicators inside) was to meet C&U regs re the min/max distances from the edge of the car to the sidelights. Apparently early cars were built with indicators to the outside, then it was changed to meet the regs.

(Info courtesy the ever knowledgeable dapinky last Thursday!!!)

does that mean if i flip then, my car will be illegal or fail the next MOT ?
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 3057
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

Re: Sidelights/indicators

Postby Fredjohn » Wed 17.09.2014, 21:57

To be honest I don't know, but as you are intending to remove the bumper, you might as well position the front lamp with the indicator inboard and the sidelight to the outside. Covers all eventualities then.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec élan.

Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
Mercedes Benz C200 estate
Lotus Evija Danish edition
User avatar
Fredjohn
God
 
Posts: 2538
Joined: Tue 21.08.2012, 00:30
Location: Malvern, Worcs

Re: Sidelights/indicators

Postby dapinky » Wed 17.09.2014, 22:45

Tuga2112 wrote:does that mean if i flip then, my car will be illegal or fail the next MOT ?


Not at all - Lotus reacted to badly drafted and wrongly interpreted legislation changes - either way round is legal in the UK (and probablyu anywhere else) - it was all to do with what is considered to be the 'outside edge' of the car, and the distance from that edge to specific light sources... :roll:
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it


...oh, and a 2006 Freelander destined for the jungles of The Gambia - 4500 miles across roads, desert and tracks - what could possibly go wrong?
User avatar
dapinky
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 10613
Joined: Sun 15.10.2006, 12:54
Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Re: Sidelights/indicators

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 17.09.2014, 23:02

dapinky wrote:
Tuga2112 wrote:does that mean if i flip then, my car will be illegal or fail the next MOT ?


Not at all - Lotus reacted to badly drafted and wrongly interpreted legislation changes - either way round is legal in the UK (and probablyu anywhere else) - it was all to do with what is considered to be the 'outside edge' of the car, and the distance from that edge to specific light sources... :roll:

cool, in that case
1st stage flipping
2nd stage LEDs
:clap:
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 3057
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

Next

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests