Reversing Camera in Number Plate

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Reversing Camera in Number Plate

Postby Tuga2112 » Mon 29.06.2015, 20:48

Installed a reverse camera,
I already have one in my other car and because is such a discrete and affordable upgrade which helps parking (specially when the hood is up) i gone for it.

Disclaimer
No spiders were trapped in the reg plate enclosure in the making of this post or/and performing the required steps to to achieve this upgrade

Disclaimer II
the camera is currently not wired up as its waiting for lazy me to get a fascia panel mod done. however i'll be happy to discuss wiring it up if anyone else decides to make the same upgrade and needs help, after all, same upgrade already done in the other car.

One thing worth noting is that the camera plate enclosure is a tight fit with the acrylic enclosure, so i used a bit of blu tack to ensure things stayed in place when fitting it all together.

And a few pictures of the end result just to prove that is it indeed a very discreet upgrade.
Image
Image
Image
Image

PS.
Mods, if you think this post is better suited to the "upgrades" section, my apologies. because its an electronic device and possibly wiring it up will flare up in the comments i though it suitable for the electrics forum.
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 3057
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

Re: Reversing Camera in Number Plate

Postby tigerdog » Wed 01.07.2015, 04:13

I've often thought of replacing the current rear view mirror with an electrochromic self-dimming one. There's no good "tilt" position when driving when the hood down. If you did that, you could go one step further and get one with the display right in the mirror. Here's one on fleabay that might do.
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
User avatar
tigerdog
God
 
Posts: 2715
Joined: Tue 20.03.2007, 09:07
Location: San Diego, CA, USA

Re: Reversing Camera in Number Plate

Postby Steve A » Wed 01.07.2015, 08:28

:D Interesting to see if it takes the heat, I've change my number plate a few times due to them distorting so much, I've now go a metal one :wink:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
User avatar
Steve A
God
 
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue 18.09.2007, 12:44
Location: South East Essex

Re: Reversing Camera in Number Plate

Postby Elanlover » Wed 01.07.2015, 15:36

tigerdog wrote:I've often thought of replacing the current rear view mirror with an electrochromic self-dimming one. There's no good "tilt" position when driving when the hood down. If you did that, you could go one step further and get one with the display right in the mirror. Here's one on fleabay that might do.


A few years ago I installed a GNTX 50-GENK42 mirror in the car. It was the only one with map lights along with auto dimming and Homelink. I don't think its available anymore and there are few if any that have map lights in them now. So, if you want to keep the map lights it'll be hard to find a mirror with all the bells and whistles and lights too although there are a bunch of used ones on eBay (don't think any come with the rear camera view window though).
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North

Re: Reversing Camera in Number Plate

Postby Fredjohn » Wed 01.07.2015, 15:55

There are plenty of rear view mirrors/TFT LCD screen monitors on UK ebay for between £10 and £25, but none seem to have any courtesy lights in them.

Or my cheapo multi media unit has a camera input should I wish to fit a rear camera; or more relevant a front bumper camera: I can judge rear parking more easily than front parking!!!!!!!
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec élan.

Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
Mercedes Benz C200 estate
Lotus Evija Danish edition
User avatar
Fredjohn
God
 
Posts: 2538
Joined: Tue 21.08.2012, 00:30
Location: Malvern, Worcs

Re: Reversing Camera in Number Plate

Postby Elanlover » Wed 01.07.2015, 16:03

Fredjohn wrote:There are plenty of rear view mirrors/TFT LCD screen monitors on UK ebay for between £10 and £25, but none seem to have any courtesy lights in them.

Or my cheapo multi media unit has a camera input should I wish to fit a rear camera; or more relevant a front bumper camera: I can judge rear parking more easily than front parking!!!!!!!


:agree: 100% on that. The car's so short in the back I never have to worry about backing into anything. The front is a different concern altogether with the nose so low and poor visibility over the hood/bonnet. I think a parking sensor for the front with a simple warning tone would be more useful than one for the rear of the car. Lots of cheap, basic sensor systems on eBay for that.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North

Re: Reversing Camera in Number Plate

Postby epipete » Wed 01.07.2015, 16:45

Fredjohn wrote:There are plenty of rear view mirrors/TFT LCD screen monitors on UK ebay for between £10 and £25, but none seem to have any courtesy lights in them.

Or my cheapo multi media unit has a camera input should I wish to fit a rear camera; or more relevant a front bumper camera: I can judge rear parking more easily than front parking!!!!!!!


As can be seen here there is a workaround to the lack of mirror curtesy lights.
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=14722&p=195289&hilit=+header+lights#p195216
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
User avatar
epipete
God
 
Posts: 2415
Joined: Wed 17.08.2011, 11:03
Location: Chippenham

Re: Reversing Camera in Number Plate

Postby Elanlover » Wed 01.07.2015, 17:54

I feel like Ebenezer Scrooge having my own words used against me. :-D
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North

Re: Reversing Camera in Number Plate

Postby Elanlover » Thu 02.07.2015, 14:50

Having taken a quick look on the web I came across this parking sensor system that requires no holes to be cut in the bumper.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North


Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests