Dash out

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Dash out

Postby paza1 » Sun 05.07.2015, 14:47

Whilst it's out, can anyone advise on things that should be or are desirable to do while I have access?
The foam seals on the ducting and on the heater radiator are in poor condition and need replacing. Any ideas on what I could use and where to get it? I need to replace or fix the heater radiator. Does anyone have/know where I could get a new one before I go down the fix route?
Cheers
Mark
Silver 1992 SE Turbo.
paza1
Fanatic

Re: Dash out

Postby mitreklov » Sun 05.07.2015, 17:33

Mark,

I can't offer any advise on your foam seals but I would like to ask what sort of a job was it removing the dash facia. I ask as I'm intending to do the same shortly. I may well find the same state on my foam ducts too.

Do all of the electrical connections to all the switches and instruments connect through the connectors at the top just under the top cover?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tim
In-between Elans right now
mitreklov
Enthusiast

Postby paza1 » Sun 05.07.2015, 19:50

Hi Tim,
It's a big job. I followed the manual. It is quite good. The dash comes out with all the dials and switches. The connectors in the picture are behind the Funboy 3 and not the speedo/rev counter/temp ( those can stay on) I will post some more pics. Get help to lift the dash out, it's awkward and heavy. The heater control rod is a pain (adopt the Lotus position).
Cheers
Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silver 1992 SE Turbo.
paza1
Fanatic

Postby mitreklov » Sun 12.07.2015, 16:21

Mark,

Thanks for the post, it inspired me to get on with fitting my new dial faces.
I never liked the red dials that Lotus used in our cars so I ordered some replacements from Metal Monkey. I went for white digits on black and decided to convert all the backlighting to white LED, dials and switches. As I had some wiring to tidy up and wanted to try and get the fascia to fit better, it was much easier to remove the entire facia. I like the way everything comes away with the facia all connected by the 3 multiway connectors.

Here are a few before and after pictures, I'm quite pleased with the end result just need to swap out the bulbs in the hazard and fog switch white LEDs as per the wiki. wikilec.9600.org/index.php/Switchcraft

Red dials.jpg

Red backlit 1.jpg

White dials.jpg
White baclit 2.jpg

White backlit 1.jpg

Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mitreklov
Enthusiast

Postby par » Sun 12.07.2015, 16:52

Very nice 8)

Looks a lot clearer and easier to read but still looks OEM!
par
Fanatic

Postby mitreklov » Sun 12.07.2015, 21:32

I suppose you could argue it looks more like an Astra!!!

Which wasn't the intention at all :?

Tim
mitreklov
Enthusiast

Postby paza1 » Sun 19.07.2015, 17:50

Very nice and more practical. :smt023

Does anyone have ( or is willing to take and post up) a close up picture of where the 2 heater matrix pipes come through the bulkhead grommets? I am trying to see why I am having so much hassle refitting the recon unit
Thanks in advance
Mark
Silver 1992 SE Turbo.
paza1
Fanatic

Return to Heating and Cooling