Steering lower u/js replacement

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Dave Eds, Nige, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover

Re: Steering lower u/js replacement

Postby epipete » Fri 11.11.2016, 13:23

Rice crispy wrote:Now noticed I have a water leak somewhere as the expansion tank was empty. Going to pop back for a pressure test as I can see no obvious signs of a leak even when it's up to temperature :(

Can you keep us appraised re your water situation please, I seem to have a similar issue but the loss is over a very long time - months!
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby John_W » Fri 11.11.2016, 18:07

Eh?
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby Rice crispy » Fri 11.11.2016, 23:26

epipete wrote:
Rice crispy wrote:Now noticed I have a water leak somewhere as the expansion tank was empty. Going to pop back for a pressure test as I can see no obvious signs of a leak even when it's up to temperature :(

Can you keep us appraised re your water situation please, I seem to have a similar issue but the loss is over a very long time - months!

Well plot thickens as the pressure test was confusing as I said on the thread. The test didn't show yellow as it's meant to but after it got to temperature it went a bit green apparently. So my guess is I may have a small leak? My mechanic isn't sure as on a pressure test all is ok and if he runs the car it doesn't build excessive pressure. I've replaced the cap and have ordered a new tank from Wayne to be sure it's not either of them. I have done about 40-50 miles since I collected it and replaced the cap and don't think it's lost any but I'm still thinking about getting the head gasket done as a precaution, it's just the circa £1700 bill which is stopping me as I don't have it spare at the moment. Given the time of year it gets used a lot less so I may try a few short journeys and see how it goes. If I do lose some fluid I will most probably bite the bullet and get it done so will have to take it off the road till the new year when I can get it done.
Rice crispy
God

Postby Hoppo » Fri 08.03.2019, 21:36

Having done this job today I can say like most things on these cars it's a bit of a pig but you can do it with patience.

I found the best way was to remove the column complete with both Uj's.

Just 2x13 and 2x 10 km bolts hold it. You do need to remove the cowling to disconnect the electrical connections but you don't have to remove the wheel.

Then with the lower cover removed you can undo the pinch bolt and remove the complete assembly.
Hoppo

Previous

Return to Chassis & Steering