Looking For M100

Elans wanted within North America

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Looking For M100

Postby savvy75 » Wed 31.01.2018, 07:30

Looking for an M100 for a bargain price.
I don't mind a car that needs some work - I'm pretty handy in a variety of ways automotively.
Prefer near Chicago and Yellow or White cars, but hey, for the right price, distance and color are not as important. ;)
Please let me know what you have, what it needs, where its located and how much you are asking.
thanks!
Andy
Naperville, IL
savvy75

Re: Looking For M100

Postby tedtaylor » Thu 01.02.2018, 23:53

what do you consider a "bargain" price? rather subjective I think, depending upon condition you're looking for.
under $10K = usually junk, beat up, worn out examples
$10K - $20K = can find some "driver" quality examples, but not show cars, lots of fiddly things to do, tatty, but presentable. you'll end up still spending lots of time and money trying to bring them up to show quality and then you start to realize, you should have just put up the bucks in the first place and bought a pristine example.
$25K and above are usually the pristine examples, show quality, well maintained examples, HOWEVER their owners know it and don't usually sell their rare beauties.
I'm one of the few in that position. We know what we have and hold on to them.
Good luck with your search.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'05 Elise (solar yellow) my M100 replacement
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fanatic

Postby contact » Sun 18.02.2018, 20:05

Hi,
I currently have a 1991 Elan M100 that I am wanting to sell. I purchased the car a few months ago with the intent to do the needed repairs; but due to time restraints and neck problems, do not have the time to do them. The car currently has 75,200 miles. I just purchased new tires and battery as the car had been sitting up for a long time in a environmentally controlled warehouse. Here are some of the items that needs to be done on the car. The radio does not work, the fuel sending unit needs replacing, the passenger side window does not work, the ac does not get cold, the seals to the top needs replacing; but the top is in good condition with no rips or tears. The engine is strong and starts right away, transmission shift smooth drives great, leather seats are in good condition with not rips or tears. There are plenty of brake pad remaining. I'm asking $8,000 and the price is firm at this time. I will be able to send you photo of the car in a few days; if you are interested. My e-mail address is howdyyaw0@yahoo.com. Phone number (510) 531 8988. (Oakland, CA)
Regards,
John Gee
contact

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 20.02.2018, 14:28

contact wrote:Hi,
I currently have a 1991 Elan M100 that I am wanting to sell. I purchased the car a few months ago with the intent to do the needed repairs; but due to time restraints and neck problems, do not have the time to do them. The car currently has 75,200 miles.

This is the New Jersey Silver car sold on eBay last Dec 19 for $5,200.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Lotus-Ela ... _cvip=true

16 miles added to odometer since eBay listing. Now, he wants $8,000.00?
No mention of the other items obvious in the eBay listing.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby tigerdog » Tue 20.02.2018, 16:53

Gotta admire his chutzpa. We're a tough audience :)
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 20.02.2018, 18:02

I was not trying to insult him or his offering, just make more details available.

The car has been offered several times over the years and has always had a list of (not so) small issues.

I will assume he had to pay to get the car from New Jersey on the East Coast to California on the West Coast and doing that safely wasn't inexpensive.

That said, some of the issues are going to be expensive to remedy, but it is possible to fix everything on the list. Tailights can cost well over $500.00 per side for used and double that for new.

It is a shame the value has gone down compared to the value from 2007.

Back then, you could justify buying a 7K project car and expect a properly repaired and refurbished model to bring $15K to $25K easily. Not today but the values seem to be going up but it is hard to justify investing $10K or more to bring one back to near showroom condition in today's market.

I hope anyone that is looking to buy a project understands parts are scarce and quite expensive and the minute the LOTUS name is mentioned, contracted repairs will cost as much as repairs on a Maserati or other supercar. Quotes for repainting my car after the panels were replaced were crazy... $15,000 to $25,000 and the shops didn't even blush.

I have tried to help everyone by making everything I find out about the M100 available through my websites. I also buy as many new parts as I can afford so I have proper templates and patterns for future re-manufacture and reproduction options.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby RedM100 » Sun 18.03.2018, 15:16

I'm also looking. I'm not interested in red or white. I had a red one. I would prefer a yellow, but other colors may work. I'm willing to pay a fair price.
Thanks,
Gene
RedM100

Postby sideways » Thu 06.06.2019, 21:29

I have (a white) one for sale but you have probably already seen it so ignore this post. :D
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Enthusiast

Postby GaryVM100 » Thu 13.06.2019, 14:58

Andy, You may be interested in my car. It is in Connecticut. It is white with about 30K miles. I have owned it for about 20 years now, I'm 74. I only drive it in the summer with the top (new) down. It is 1 of 4 cars, including my Porsche, so it doesn't get used much. I have done all regular maintenance on it. Other than a K&N air filter it has all standard stuff. It was in 2 big car shows and took a 2nd and 3rd in peoples choice. It looks new. That's the good news...on the other side..The air conditioner does not hold a charge, and one headlight bobbles a bit when it goes down. When i bought it the car had "water damage" when it was about 4 years old,in Chicago...repaired by a British shop in PA who sold it to me. It has run great for all these years. When I started it for the first time this Summer, a few days ago it stated and drove fine but as I went up the street it made a loud strange noise and the car slowed down. Then it ran fine. I drove it around a few blocks and it did it again. I put it back in my garage (climate controlled). I don't know where to start to look, but I was planing on selling it this year. I'm not sure of what I will do, there are no real Lotus mechanics who know the car near here. If your interested send me an email. I may just put out in on Ebay, or here on LEC.
Gary gavndeursen@comcast.net
GaryVM100

Postby esprit888 » Fri 14.06.2019, 07:13

GaryVM100 wrote:Andy, You may be interested in my car. It is in Connecticut. It is white with about 30K miles. I have owned it for about 20 years now, I'm 74. I only drive it in the summer with the top (new) down. It is 1 of 4 cars, including my Porsche, so it doesn't get used much. I have done all regular maintenance on it. Other than a K&N air filter it has all standard stuff. It was in 2 big car shows and took a 2nd and 3rd in peoples choice. It looks new. That's the good news...on the other side..The air conditioner does not hold a charge, and one headlight bobbles a bit when it goes down. When i bought it the car had "water damage" when it was about 4 years old,in Chicago...repaired by a British shop in PA who sold it to me. It has run great for all these years. When I started it for the first time this Summer, a few days ago it stated and drove fine but as I went up the street it made a loud strange noise and the car slowed down. Then it ran fine. I drove it around a few blocks and it did it again. I put it back in my garage (climate controlled). I don't know where to start to look, but I was planing on selling it this year. I'm not sure of what I will do, there are no real Lotus mechanics who know the car near here. If your interested send me an email. I may just put out in on Ebay, or here on LEC.
Gary gavndeursen@comcast.net

Gary,
Tried to send you an email to the address above but was rejected? Check your pm
esprit888
God

Return to North America Cars - Wanted