Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

† Bristol Outlying Lands LEC Knowledge & Support

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

Postby Rambo » Wed 09.05.2018, 20:42

Almost as good as the "totty" you showed me on your mobile phone Phil :wink:
User avatar
Rambo
Don't push me
 
Posts: 9144
Joined: Wed 24.12.2003, 00:37
Location: Both sides of the Tweed

Re: Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

Postby Tuga2112 » Thu 17.05.2018, 14:48

just an update.
my head gasket replacement didnt go as well as planned, and im not on a position where im not sure how to proceed to get the car on the road. so just letting everyone know that is very unlikely i will be attending castle combe.
i suspect the car overheated from a airlock that was not bleed as part of the intiial coolant bleed ing i done after replacing the head gasket.
the car is now making some impleasant noises from the engine when runnign and with a very bumpy iddle (that eventually dies off) :(

if i dont add any info in this thread, just assume i wont be there.
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 3057
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

Re: Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

Postby Rambo » Thu 17.05.2018, 16:22

:| Best of luck
User avatar
Rambo
Don't push me
 
Posts: 9144
Joined: Wed 24.12.2003, 00:37
Location: Both sides of the Tweed

Re: Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

Postby muley » Thu 17.05.2018, 19:50

Tuga2112 wrote:just an update.
my head gasket replacement didnt go as well as planned, and im not on a position where im not sure how to proceed to get the car on the road. so just letting everyone know that is very unlikely i will be attending castle combe.
i suspect the car overheated from a airlock that was not bleed as part of the intiial coolant bleed ing i done after replacing the head gasket.
the car is now making some impleasant noises from the engine when runnign and with a very bumpy iddle (that eventually dies off) :(

if i dont add any info in this thread, just assume i wont be there.


Shame, hope you can fix it soon.


rgds

Jim
LEC Turbo Nutter
1991 Aqua Blue Elan / 2010 Mazda 2 Tamura / 2013 Ford Fiesta (NZ(
muley
Moderator
 
Posts: 4523
Joined: Tue 22.04.2003, 09:07
Location: Wokingham, Berks and Waikanae Beach

Re: Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

Postby Fredjohn » Fri 18.05.2018, 17:56

Slight change of plan as Grace now driving campervan down :-) and hope not a problem as Jao (Tuga) is seriously Elanless :-(

1. Jim In Thursday Out Monday.
2. Rambo In Thursday/Out Tuesday or Wednesday
3. Phil (lotusflasherman) In Thursday, out Monday.
4. Pinky, arrive Friday, leave Monday
5. Tuga (alone unless something very strange happens within a month) In Friday (unsure if afternoon or evening) out Sunday
6. Clemo (Friday in & sundays out)
7. Steve A -In Friday out Sunday ..
8. Martin (maz-r) In Friday (also unsure of afternoon or evening), out Sunday (MOT not withstanding)
9. Fredjohn & Grace (in Saturday, out Sunday)
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec élan.

Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
Mercedes Benz C200 estate
Lotus Evija Danish edition
User avatar
Fredjohn
God
 
Posts: 2538
Joined: Tue 21.08.2012, 00:30
Location: Malvern, Worcs

Re: Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

Postby Fredjohn » Mon 21.05.2018, 12:51

Phil, paid my full amount direct to Karen. All OK :D
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec élan.

Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
Mercedes Benz C200 estate
Lotus Evija Danish edition
User avatar
Fredjohn
God
 
Posts: 2538
Joined: Tue 21.08.2012, 00:30
Location: Malvern, Worcs

Re: Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 21.05.2018, 20:28

Fredjohn wrote:Phil, paid my full amount direct to Karen. All OK :D

Good stuff. Karen told me there are electric hook-ups along the hedge in our field if you want it but most of us are in tents doing 'proper camping' and tripping over guy ropes in the dark.. :lol:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
User avatar
lotusflasherman
God
 
Posts: 2533
Joined: Fri 05.09.2008, 00:14
Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Re: Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

Postby Saltire » Tue 22.05.2018, 07:06

Folks, please let me know if you’re planning to convoy from the campsite to CC, and I’ll join you there if I can rather than going direct to the circuit. Thanks
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG - Now sadly sold
Mrs Saltire’s 2021 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Mrs Saltire’s 2022 BMW i3S
User avatar
Saltire
God
 
Posts: 2457
Joined: Sun 05.04.2015, 22:27
Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Re: Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

Postby Rambo » Tue 22.05.2018, 09:53

Weather looks OK for Castle Combe on the Saturday at present :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/2653597

However, thunderstorms are predicted for Sat. evening, Sunday and bank holiday Monday. It could yet prove to be interesting earlier on the Sat. :burnout:

Staying in a flimsy tent with metal poles and wet grass could also prove very interesting :lol:
User avatar
Rambo
Don't push me
 
Posts: 9144
Joined: Wed 24.12.2003, 00:37
Location: Both sides of the Tweed

Re: Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

Postby Fredjohn » Tue 22.05.2018, 10:09

Latest BBC forecast (10am Tues) for Malmesbury shows rain/thunder not arriving till 4pm Sunday, so we may well be OK overnight Saturday/Sunday.

But if you're staying Sunday too :censored: :censored:
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec élan.

Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
Mercedes Benz C200 estate
Lotus Evija Danish edition
User avatar
Fredjohn
God
 
Posts: 2538
Joined: Tue 21.08.2012, 00:30
Location: Malvern, Worcs

Re: Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

Postby dapinky » Tue 22.05.2018, 10:40

Saltire wrote:Folks, please let me know if you’re planning to convoy from the campsite to CC, and I’ll join you there if I can rather than going direct to the circuit. Thanks


Jonathan,

Not sure that 'planning' is an appropriate assumption...... but there may be a loose collection of thoughts thrown around which result in a general consensus.

(that said, Clemo is meant to be arriving at CC a bit early to set up the pitch - which means I will also be lumbered - but everyone else will probably be up and ready anyway (and as cars can't be cleaned at the campsite, people may want to get there in time to do the 'bucket & sponge' routine) - so, all in all, I don't know whats happening - but will let you know when 'plans' are made :D )

A convoy is ALWAYS a good idea :burnout:
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it


...oh, and a 2006 Freelander destined for the jungles of The Gambia - 4500 miles across roads, desert and tracks - what could possibly go wrong?
User avatar
dapinky
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 10613
Joined: Sun 15.10.2006, 12:54
Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Re: Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

Postby dapinky » Tue 22.05.2018, 10:43

Meant to say before.......

..... when I spoke to Karen she wasn't in the office so I couldn't make a payment.....

....however.....

.... she says to avoid everyone phoning at inconvenient times for the other party - resulting in 'telephone tennis' - she is happy for us to just tip up and pay on arrival without further contact.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it


...oh, and a 2006 Freelander destined for the jungles of The Gambia - 4500 miles across roads, desert and tracks - what could possibly go wrong?
User avatar
dapinky
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 10613
Joined: Sun 15.10.2006, 12:54
Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Re: Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

Postby rip » Tue 22.05.2018, 12:15

Saltire wrote:Folks, please let me know if you’re planning to convoy from the campsite to CC, and I’ll join you there if I can rather than going direct to the circuit. Thanks

I like that idea. I have too much other stuff going on that weekend to camp over, but meeting up at the site for a convoy to the track sounds good.
Where is it please?
1990 SE
User avatar
rip
God
 
Posts: 5905
Joined: Sun 08.04.2007, 07:48
Location: Milton Keynes, UK

Re: Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

Postby Rambo » Tue 22.05.2018, 12:31

It's this camp site Ripster https://www.burtonhill.co.uk

You go down a wee lane with speedbumps and as you enter the campsite turn right. We will be in the overflow field looking out to the lovely village of Malmesbury

It's approx. a 20 minute drive cross country to Castle Combe :burnout:
User avatar
Rambo
Don't push me
 
Posts: 9144
Joined: Wed 24.12.2003, 00:37
Location: Both sides of the Tweed

Re: Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

Postby Steve A » Tue 22.05.2018, 19:36

:D I've now invested in some camping equipment that will prove useful at both Malmesbury and Silverstone.
Looks like we might need a lightning conductor though :lol:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
User avatar
Steve A
God
 
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue 18.09.2007, 12:44
Location: South East Essex

Re: Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 22.05.2018, 19:58

Steve A wrote::D I've now invested in some camping equipment that will prove useful at both Malmesbury and Silverstone.
Looks like we might need a lightning conductor though :lol:


There's a High Voltage power line crossing part of our field so that will do that for you :lol: .... might be an idea not to camp directly under as they do occasionally fall down..

Weather forecast isn't looking promising - significant rainfall, and I've already left home without my waterproofs.. :banghead:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
User avatar
lotusflasherman
God
 
Posts: 2533
Joined: Fri 05.09.2008, 00:14
Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Re: Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

Postby Saltire » Tue 22.05.2018, 22:05

dapinky wrote:
Saltire wrote:Folks, please let me know if you’re planning to convoy from the campsite to CC, and I’ll join you there if I can rather than going direct to the circuit. Thanks


Jonathan,

Not sure that 'planning' is an appropriate assumption...... but there may be a loose collection of thoughts thrown around which result in a general consensus. I suspected as much, but didn’t like to say so :D

(that said, Clemo is meant to be arriving at CC a bit early to set up the pitch - which means I will also be lumbered - but everyone else will probably be up and ready anyway (and as cars can't be cleaned at the campsite, people may want to get there in time to do the 'bucket & sponge' routine) - so, all in all, I don't know whats happening - but will let you know when 'plans' are made :D ) Jet wash, 2-buckets, lambswool mitt, hosepipe and shampoo available 3 miles up the road at Chateau Saltire for those who would rather clean before leaving (or on the Friday - I’m around then too)

A convoy is ALWAYS a good idea :burnout:
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG - Now sadly sold
Mrs Saltire’s 2021 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Mrs Saltire’s 2022 BMW i3S
User avatar
Saltire
God
 
Posts: 2457
Joined: Sun 05.04.2015, 22:27
Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Re: Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

Postby maz_r » Tue 22.05.2018, 23:18

I am intending to travel fairly light, and it sounds like others amongst us are bringing (quite literally) the kitchen sink. Would I be over-presumtious in assuming if I turn up with a cup, some sugar (cos I know you guys are all too healthy *cough*) and a winning smile, someone will have the other necessary items to provide coffee??

Is there anything else we collectively need that I can help provide? Happy to pitch in *if* I know what is needed....
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those that understand binary.....
User avatar
maz_r
Binary Bodger
 
Posts: 741
Joined: Sun 05.07.2009, 20:36
Location: Solihull, West Midlands

Re: Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

Postby Steve A » Tue 22.05.2018, 23:58

maz_r wrote:
Is there anything else we collectively need that I can help provide? Happy to pitch in *if* I know what is needed....


A fridge would be handy :lol:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
User avatar
Steve A
God
 
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue 18.09.2007, 12:44
Location: South East Essex

Re: Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

Postby Saltire » Wed 23.05.2018, 07:03

maz_r wrote:I am intending to travel fairly light, and it sounds like others amongst us are bringing (quite literally) the kitchen sink. Would I be over-presumtious in assuming if I turn up with a cup, some sugar (cos I know you guys are all too healthy *cough*) and a winning smile, someone will have the other necessary items to provide coffee??

Is there anything else we collectively need that I can help provide? Happy to pitch in *if* I know what is needed....


If all else fails, there’s a Waitrose 400 yards from the campsite which sells reasonable takeaway coffee (and other stuff, obviously), and is open 7:30 am to 9 pm (10 to 4 on Sundays). And given the temperature in Malmesbury this morning, you’ll need it :?
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG - Now sadly sold
Mrs Saltire’s 2021 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Mrs Saltire’s 2022 BMW i3S
User avatar
Saltire
God
 
Posts: 2457
Joined: Sun 05.04.2015, 22:27
Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

PreviousNext

Return to BOLLECKS† weekend - Castle Combe 26-27 May 2018

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron